Health Care Costs in Puerto Plata

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Do residents of Puerto Plata have to pay for hospital and prescription costs if they do not have medical insurance. If so, does anyone know the approximate daily cost of a hospital stay and the approximate cost of prescriptions?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Poor Dominicans have the option of going to the public hospital. They get some help there. The public hospital in Santiago is said to be better than the one in Puerto Plata.

Any Dominican who can, and foreigners with or without insurance go to a private hospital, like Bournigal in Puerto Plata. If you don't have medical insurance you pay in cash.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Ken said:
. If you don't have medical insurance you pay in cash.
And post a deposit before you are admitted. Anybody who lives in the DR without Dominican Health Insurance is taking a huge risk.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Along the same question,what are prices for seniors meds her on the North Coast .For example: Diovan & Vytorin

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
I am not being asked to foot anyone's bill but do know someone who is sick and I was wondering if they had to pay for everything. How is it determined if someone is a "poor Dominican". I do know that they are in a clinic which I am assuming is different than the public hospital but I don't know.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
canbon said:
I am not being asked to foot anyone's bill but do know someone who is sick and I was wondering if they had to pay for everything. How is it determined if someone is a "poor Dominican". I do know that they are in a clinic which I am assuming is different than the public hospital but I don't know.
If they are in a private clinic they either have insurance or have made arrangements for the bill to be covered before they were admitted.