AC Flight 976/977 - YYZ to SDQ?

Rina2

May 23, 2006
Can anyone please tell me if they know anything about AC flight 976/977 From Toronto to Santo Domingo direct? I can longer find it anywhere online. I even called AC and all they say is that it is not showing up but no explanation why.
Does it still exist?

I would hate to think it no longer exists as i hate going through the US. I would rather pay way more than have to connect-and i know a lot of other people would also.

Any info- i would appreciate it.

Rina2

May 23, 2006
Do you know any reason why?

Or do you know if there will be any other direct flight to SDQ in the near future?

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
because all canadian tourists go to LRM, PUJ and POP, there are not enough passengers who originate their travel from SDQ in order to load this plane and AA offers cheaper flights via MIA

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
i believe that i read last year that it was just intended to be seasonal.

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Jasper said:
i believe that i read last year that it was just intended to be seasonal.

Yes, I belive ACV (air Canada Vacations) will begin operating that flight fall/winter 2007 season.

Rina2

May 23, 2006
Thank you for your responses. I sure hope that it's just a seasonal thing and not that it's been discontinued.

I've always had this problem with SDQ. I mean i understand it's not as much of a tourist place as the others-but what about people who go there for business (or to visit friends)-it's the capital-a big city-for crying out loud.
I know last year DR and Canada signed quite a few trade agreements in Montreal. That's why they started this flight.
And these were scheduled flights not just charters which go to the resorts.

Besides i have a friend from there who may be coming up from the capital in September and they will only have a visiter's visa for Canada. I don't want to complicate things with them having to come through the US. Are they going to have to travel all the way to PUERTO PLATA airport? It's ridiculous.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
the same thing happened last year. they resume flying YYZ-SDQ late October/early November.

Rina2

May 23, 2006
Here is what AC responded to my question:

Response (Karen Collens) - 06/12/2006 01:17 PM
Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate the opportunity to address the concerns
raised regarding our routes and schedules.

We regret we no longer offer direct service from Toronto to Santo Domingo. Air
Canada adjusts its schedule based on key market and operational criteria, as well as
customer feedback such as yours. Every aspect of our scheduling is thoroughly
researched, taking into consideration past traffic volume and anticipated passenger
demand over each route within our system, in a conscientious effort to meet our
customers' needs. Air Canada listens to our customers and every effort is made to
respond to community requests while maintaining a viable operation.

Many factors are taken into consideration when creating a schedule. Aircraft
availability and positioning, flight crew commitments, ground staffing, international
agreements and market changes are only a few of the criteria used. Traffic trends
are carefully monitored with a view to providing the best service for the greatest
number of customers while continuing to assess the viability of those operations.

Thank you again for your feedback and for allowing us to respond. We look forward to
the pleasure of serving you in the near future.

Sincerely,
Customer Solutions

Whatever that all means.....I think it would be good if everybody write them and request this route back.

Dirty Girl

Jun 12, 2006
It's very hard to get to SDQ in the off season. Everyone is right though, that flight is only intended for the winter months, it'll be back again. In the meantime we have to settle with, longer travel time, flight changes and layovers. And of course higher cost. I hope this changes some time.

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Dirty Girl said:
It's very hard to get to SDQ in the off season. Everyone is right though, that flight is only intended for the winter months, it'll be back again. In the meantime we have to settle with, longer travel time, flight changes and layovers. And of course higher cost. I hope this changes some time.

Actually I believe it's not coming back. ACV has put out their winter schedule and as of now, its POP and PUJ only.