Another break-in.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Sorry to report yet another break-in in Sosua. It happened yesterday. In order to get into the house they ripped the bars out of the walls and then kicked in the double-glazed windows. Interior doors were locked so in all they smashed 3 seperate sets of bars and windows.

I have to point out the fact that on two of the windows it was the bars that failed before the concrete in seven out of eight fixings. The problem is that each fixing of about four inches in length is seperately welded to the "frame" of the bars. whack it with a hammer or put a crow-bar to it and it just snaps the weld. I have instructed a handyman to weld new fixings but one single solid bar top and bottom and welded along the back of the the "frame" in several places.

Inside the house the burglars found nothing. There's nothing there! They could have seen for themselves by looking through the windows. The house is emptied when the owners aren't living there. We think they ended up taking a couple of bottles of Smirnoff Ice and a half empty bottle of Brugal. Perhaps they stole some clothes.

I hate to point a finger but the "job" was carried out by Haitians working opposite in the middle of the day. This is the second time that when casual labour has been brought into the area the same house gets raided.

If I find the fu%ks that did this I swear I will eradicate the problem from my neighbouhood for once and for all. The couple who own the house just don't deserve it, I have to tell them. It won't be easy. I have taken it on myself to be my responsibility to look after the place.

The damage probably runs to thousands of dollars.

I hope the people responsible come back to make sure nothing got missed. :surprised

Just as a further note: Another friend has his bars inside his windows and doors. They are the ugliest, meanest bars you've ever seen but held into fixings with several heavy duty padlocks. When he comes he takes them down and stores them in his garage. The fixings get lost in the walls - you would barely notice them. Now, I'm sure some of us don't want to go too far with the bars thing and turn the house into something like a prison. - This is a very clever alternative. Had my friends' house been like this they might have broken one window but I think they would probably have then realised the challenge and given up.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Simon:

Much as I hate to recommend it, a well balanced "sawed-off shotgun" loaded with 00 buckshot can be an effective deterrent to future breakins of the type you described.
Aim low, to cripple, not to kill. The insuing lifetime of scooting around on a cart will serve as sufficient punishment and serve to give notice of "Don't Tread On ME!!"
If the buckshot doesn't do the job adequately, a good heavy baseball bat applied vigorously about the knees and elbows usually will get the point across that you wish to make to that person(s) and everyone else.

PS--promise a repeat of the punishment should they harbor any idea of going to the authorities.

Texas Bill

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Brings up a good subject...the quality of welds. I have seen some poor welding in this country. Take a hammer and check your welds. If they come apart easy then have them redone.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Vultures Overhead

Texas Bill said:
...Much as I hate to recommend it...
Aim low, to cripple, not to kill....

I hate to say that almost everybody here recommends the opposite.
Crippling somebody could cost you everything you own.
Half of it goes to a lawyer...
But I do agree on 00 ammo.

m'frog

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
3/8

Snuffy said:
... poor welding in this country... If they come apart easy then have them redone.
...and redone... and so forth.
Most local craftsmen do not know how to prepare a good welding joint, use wrong current or do not remove the slag.

Few use material stronger than 3/8" and produce maybe nice looking decorative grilles which only delay a break-in for minutes.

m'frog

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
break ins

Where are all these break ins taking place? I am familiar with Sosua and quite curious as there seems to be a pretty substantial police presense at least in the main tourist area.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I did get a little carried away, didn't I?
Nevertheless, whatever punative actions are taken, they must be emphatic enough to become a deterrent to future robbers.

I've watched welders(?) at work here and must agree with the evaluation of their skill as being mediocre to non-existant. I'm not a welder by any means, but could do a better and neater job than what I've seen.

Did I miss anything???

Texas Bill

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Texas Bill said:
Did I miss anything???Texas Bill

Yes! Where I come from, if you absolutely need to use a weapon in self-defense and you are not a regular 'army-guy' type that can at least aim... we don't try to save the bad guy for the 'suffering potential'. We just try to safeguard ourselves and mostly that means aim for the biggest part of anything that moves ... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Mea Culpa!

I am of Scotts-Irish descent, so maybe that will explain my "vengenful" attitude.

People who hurt me or mine can expect to see me one day with blood in my eyes.

Texas Bill

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Instead of removing inside bars on my arrival, I installed folding bars which can be quickly folded sideways on each side of large sliding windows and they are hidden by curtains. When closed they are very strong, with bolts up in the ceiling and down into the floor. Stay safe! Canadian Bob.