How about

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Starting a thread where people could report any robberies, thefts or breakins. Not hearsay, factual reports. No BS or safety recommendations just facts. Maybe this could lead to the identification and/or arrest of these thieves and maybe even put pressure on the authorities.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Would be of interest to residents and maybe useful, but what would be it affect on non-residents. As it is now, every time somebody starts a thread on crime it seems the number of posts asking if it is safe to visit the DR or safe to leave the hotel increases.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Chris said:
Good idea Eddy .. but let me pass this one by the bosses first ;)
So the crooks could get a kick out of reading about their capers?
I don't think so.
A thread about known criminals or suspects could be helpful, maybe even a list of stolen items to be on the lookout for, but details about robberies is not a good idea.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I cannot see the point if this type of ongoing thread. It's like posting pictures of car crashes, it does nothing to increase road safety. Plus it makes the DR look very bad, which we know it's not.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
And since most people replace what is stolen, future thieves will be provided with a shopping list.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Robert said:
... It's like posting pictures of car crashes, it does nothing to increase road safety. Plus it makes the DR look very bad, which we know it's not.

I forget where it was where they put car wrecks near accident prone spots. Did change things...

The DR certainly is not bad, some people, however, are.
Of course, that's the case everywhere.

m'frog

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
I cannot see the point if this type of ongoing thread. It's like posting pictures of car crashes, it does nothing to increase road safety. Plus it makes the DR look very bad, which we know it's not.
It’s far from my intention to scare tourists away. We count on them for a major part of our business. I’ve always said that the DR is one of the safest tourist destinations. The only reason for my suggestion was to help others protect themselves. A data base of stolen items would also be nice. I never suggested giving any details that would help the "Bad guys" I doubt they read DR1. But if the MO of a group of thieves is coming in through a back window using whatever means to get in, at a certain time, in a certain area, concentrating on certain items, I don’t think those details will do any harm. As for the culprits reading about their quests on DR1???
Anyway, forget the whole thing

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think it's better to inform people on how to prevent break-ins, rather than highlight what they had stolen. I cannot see how a list of stolen items helps?

A thread on security tips, would be great.

What you did and why you did it.
Who did the work?
Has it shown to be successful etc.
Do alarm systems really work?
How to on installing security bars.
Etc etc etc...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My sister-in-law claims a similar method to the one described in the BBC news link was used to rob a family we know - they were all asleep in the house at the time and could not believe no one was woken up by the intruders.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Eddy said:
. I never suggested giving any details that would help the "Bad guys" I doubt they read DR1.
But if they do, they know which of us won't be home in the afternoon on July 2nd.