In which barrio is best to live in SD?

Estella

May 24, 2006
Dear all,
I'm new to the forum and almost a resident of the DR. I have a question.
I will arrive mid august in Santo Domingo in full hurricane season (lucky me :paranoid: ) and I need to find a house to rent. My employer will allow me to live only in Bella Vista or Guazcue (since it pays for the house I will not argue about such obligation), but I wonder about floodings. I understand that it is one of the most common problem during and in the aftermath of a tropical storm/huricane. So which of the two barrios has the least problem with floods?
And about security?
thank you in advance for your precious help
Estella

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would say Bella Vista has the edge, as it's on higher ground, and it's possible that crime is slightly higher in Gazcue, but either would be good choices in my opinion.

In reality, flooding after a hurricane or havy rainfall can happen anywhere because of the poorly maintained storm drains, but in good areas in the capital I don't think it's an issue. The areas that tend to be affected are the poor barrios and rural communities that are located in risky areas like riverbanks and steep hillsides.

Gazcue is a delightful area, although some streets are noisier than others - you have to choose carefully. It's full of charm and is a great place to live especially if you like doing a lot of stuff on foot. Where is your place of work located? Will you have your own car?

Bella Vista is also a nice area and has its perks, but it's not easily accessible by public transport compared to Gazcue. It has the park nearby, and good shopping centres.

Estella

May 24, 2006
It's my husband who'll work (Lincoln av.) and my main task on peak traffic hours will be to drive my kids to the French school in Centro de los Heroes. Is Guazcue really that far away from both (in European standards, since my american friends tend to find extremely close places I think to be far away)? :cheeky:
thanks
Estella

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Both neighbourhoods are a short driving distance from Av. Lincoln.

The French school is easily accessible from Gazcue if you use the Malecon (seafront avenue) but it's not what I would call walking distance. From Bella Vista you'd drive down Av. Churchill or Lincoln. Probably no more than a 10-15 min drive in traffic, in either case, and quicker at off-peak times.