Deportee's, what should happen to them?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Obviously the ones returned for visa problems, should just be let back into the community, but what about the drug dealers, murderers and rapists?

The sad fact is the DR lacks the ability to rehabilitate felons in anyway.
5-10 years in "La Vitoria" is more like education, than rehabilitation.

Right now the DR is importing trained criminals, that I'm sure in some are influencing the crime rates. So what should they do?

The obvious answer is a slow painful death, but some might have a problem with that :)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I have an idea!

Maybe they should do what Cuba did, put them ALL on boats and send them to a country that would take them!.

Not going to happen but one can dream!.

Last edited:

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Well, Robert, this is a subject which I find very interesting. I've tried to discuss it--crime and its consequences--with certain folks, but they usually resort to the same old standards: punish the criminal. I would love to read some responses from some of the enlightened members here - those who normally don't see everything as black and white (punish the criminal).

Here's my take: when is one a criminal? If caught and sentenced, was that punishment? If punished, did it rehabilitate? Is it necessary? Obviously, but only with certain criminals. I have more questions, but you get my drift.

I have no training or expertise on anything whatsoever, but I've always had those types of concerns regarding crime and consequences, as opposed to crime and punishment, or crime and whatever... Weird, but hope that some posters can shed some light, especially since deportees carry that permanent stigma.

Judging by the contributions of some of the members here, I know they can provide some insight into some of my concerns.

There was a member here a while ago, Jim Hinsch, who could see things in a very unique way, a way which made sense to me most of the time, regardless of subject.

I'll remain quiet and probably learn something.

-The Kid

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
A Modest Proposal

helpmann said:
Keep them in jail longer than 5-10 years.

-Helpmann :)

Even maintaining the disgraceful and inhumane conditions that prevail in DR prisons costs money. As many of the criminal deportees are drug user/offenders, perhaps some of the prison budget could be better spent on residential drug rehab centers along the line of Daytop Village and Phoenix House. These institutions have a proven track record of saving people from lives thought lost to drugs, while saving public costs at the same time. I know that leaders of these organizations have worked with goverments in other countries to establish programs with some success.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The DR should set up a small community on a small island off the coast or other isolated area and cede it to a seperate government with hardline marxist ideals but with Islam as the national religion.

They could send the deportees there who would then become eligible for political asylum in the US and be shipped back to the US.

As long as no oil is discovered in this region it should work fine.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
helpmann said:
Keep them in jail longer than 5-10 years.

Under what charge. They have completed their sentence in the US. They are returned as free men. They haven't committed a crime in the DR yet. An alternative may be for the Dominican Government to arrange to have the deportees returned with some time still left on their sentences. As bad as prison life is in the US, a taste of Doominican prison may at least be a wake-up call for some. Then release them from Dominican prison with time still due under supervised parole. Let them know that an offense committed while on parole would result in an enhanced sentence. But this would all take money and resources that the Dominican government probably wouldn't want to commit.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Just Another Thought..

moviemouth said:
Even maintaining the disgraceful and inhumane conditions that prevail in DR prisons costs money.
Raise taxes.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
MrMike said:
The DR should set up a small community on a small island off the coast or other isolated area and cede it to a seperate government with hardline marxist ideals but with Islam as the national religion.

They could send the deportees there who would then become eligible for political asylum in the US and be shipped back to the US.

As long as no oil is discovered in this region it should work fine.

like Guantanamo Bay? :)

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Doh!

HOWMAR said:
Under what charge. They have completed their sentence in the US. They are returned as free men. They haven't committed a crime in the DR yet. An alternative may be for the Dominican Government to arrange to have the deportees returned with some time still left on their sentences. As bad as prison life is in the US, a taste of Doominican prison may at least be a wake-up call for some. Then release them from Dominican prison with time still due under supervised parole. Let them know that an offense committed while on parole would result in an enhanced sentence. But this would all take money and resources that the Dominican government probably wouldn't want to commit.
Oops!! Good point!

I guess the DR is screwed!

-Helpmann :laugh:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
helpmann said:
Oops!! Good point!

I guess the DR is screwed!

-Helpmann :laugh:

Its not funny it really is scary to think about it. All these deportees have been in american prisons, they have been exposed to more sophisticated, more brutal criminals.
When they go to the DR they are not gonna go back to whatever they were doing before leaving the DR. They are not gonna settle to purse snatching.
There are all kinds of deportee stories, I know someone who was deported a few years ago, this guy had left the DR as a little boy never to come back, now he's over 40yrs old, it seems that he never became a US citizen, got into trouble about drugs went to jail and eventually got deported. is kind of funny cause he hardly could speak spanish and there he is over there working as a mechanic and has exposed everyone else to his bad habits including drugs.

btw: he likes that song that goes "Vivo en una jaula de oro....etc"

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Robert said:
Obviously the ones returned for visa problems, should just be let back into the community, but what about the drug dealers, murderers and rapists?

The sad fact is the DR lacks the ability to rehabilitate felons in anyway.
5-10 years in "La Vitoria" is more like education, than rehabilitation.

Right now the DR is importing trained criminals, that I'm sure in some are influencing the crime rates. So what should they do?

The obvious answer is a slow painful death, but some might have a problem with that :)

If prisons don't rehabilitate, and drug dealers, murderers and rapists continue being drug dealers, murderers and rapists when they have completed their prison sentences, then maybe society should consider more radical measures, like frontal lobotomy...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I'd say crate some kind of parole system where the deportees have to report to their officers at least once a week and give them some kind of "report" of their where-abouts and what they've been up to. This is tricky but might work. A problem I see with this however, is how will the parole officer know that what the deportee is saying is true. In that case then you can have a parole officer assigned to certain sectors whithin a province and part of the parole officer's job is to survey his deportees. If they get out of hand throw them in jail.

I don't know folks. I 'm just thinking outloud. All I know is that these people need to be accounted for. The more delinquent/dangerous ones would be like top priority or something.

What do you think of this?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Or maybe society should stop imprisoning people for victimless crimes. I read somewhere yesterday that something like one out of every 200 people in the US is actually in prison, and the ratio of some minorities in prison is much higher, something like 1 in 20.

A functional society wouldn't have to lock so many people away.

If everybody wants to break the law in a country that is supposed to be by and for and of the people then maybe the laws need to be reviewed.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
From my experience working in the District Attorney's Office, ex-convicts usually and most likely will become repeat offenders, even the threat of the three-strikes law in California doesn't deter them, why? because they actually believe that they will never get caught. These drug dealers in a matter of time will start-up their old trade in the DR. Since rehabilitation is probably not possible and the deportes will not beable to find employment, they will resort to crime. Look what happen in Jamaica, Trinidad, etc.

The DR will need to build more jails and hire more officers. I believe the only way to deter deportes is to give them Opportunities or Harsh Punishment either or. If not, build more jails and house them. Also, the police will need to start focusing on possible Gang activity. It's bad enough the DR most likely have criminal elements coming over undetected from Haiti.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
MrMike said:
Or maybe society should stop imprisoning people for victimless crimes. I read somewhere yesterday that something like one out of every 200 people in the US is actually in prison, and the ratio of some minorities in prison is much higher, something like 1 in 20.

A functional society wouldn't have to lock so many people away.

If everybody wants to break the law in a country that is supposed to be by and for and of the people then maybe the laws need to be reviewed.

I read recently, somewhere that the US prison population is currently over 2.2 million, and the ratio of imprisoned black males between the ages of 20-30 is 1 out of 10.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Yes something is very wrong.

I think the long term solution to the deportation issue is just to stop allowing immigration. It obviously isn't working out very well for any of the parties involved.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
MrMike said:
Yes something is very wrong.

I think the long term solution to the deportation issue is just to stop allowing immigration. It obviously isn't working out very well for any of the parties involved.
Shhh!!!! Mike, be careful what you propose. If the deportations were stopped, where would the Dominican Call Center Industry get the majority of it's English-speaking, Americanized, Customer Service Reps?;)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
All deportees recently released from prison should be supervised during a set period of time, and depending on their offense, their freedom should be curtailed or controlled in varying degrees. Parole officers are expensive and almost useless, however, there's technology available, like implanted RFID tags with an incorporated GPS feature...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
HOWMAR said:
Shhh!!!! Mike, be careful what you propose. If the deportations were stopped, where would the Dominican Call Center Industry get the majority of it's English-speaking, Americanized, Customer Service Reps?;)

Well obviously nobody cares what I think or I would keep my mouth shut.

I think the deportees are getting a raw deal personally, they screwed up, they paid the price and lost the possibility of ever returning to the US.

Now they are here and trying to get on with things, and we know that it is hardly necessary to spend time in a US prison for a Domincian to learn to lie, cheat, steal, sell drugs, rape, murder and kidnap. The US has a pretty good share of the market on these activities but it is not a monopoly, not by a long shot.