What offends Dominicans?

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Hola everyone :classic:

I would like to have a better understanding about the Dominican Republic (especially the people).

So what offends Dominicans? For example, is it okay to hug your friend's baby? Or if you give a present to a Dominican, what kind of present must one avoid giving?

Gracias.

Have a good day.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Potato_Salad said:
Hola everyone :classic:

I would like to have a better understanding about the Dominican Republic (especially the people).

So what offends Dominicans? For example, is it okay to hug your friend's baby? Or if you give a present to a Dominican, what kind of present must one avoid giving?

Gracias.

Have a good day.

Unlike most US parents, DR parents do not feel threatened, or think you are weird, when you coochicoo, hug, or praise their baby. Go ahead, ask them if you can take the baby home with you. That's an ultimate praise....

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Mirador said:
Unlike most US parents, DR parents do not feel threatened, or think you are weird, when you coochicoo, hug, or praise their baby. Go ahead, ask them if you can take the baby home with you. That's an ultimate praise....

Thank you for your feedback. :)

I started a thread about this topic a few months ago. But it got closed. So I hope this thread can provide more information about the Dominican Republic.

Take care.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
RedrumXIII said:
Telling a Dominican he/she has grajo or bad breath is pretty bad...

I didn't know it was bad to tell someone who has bad grajo that they need to use a lime.. :D

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Amigo,

I know that Dominicans do not like to be imitated on how they speak..

I generally joke around with some of my close friends by saying.. oohh, oohh cual el la vaina.. and some other stuff you hear in my neighborhood - Washington Heights ! They apparently do not like it, but they don't seem to be offended though..

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
ElvisNYC said:
Amigo,

I know that Dominicans do not like to be imitated on how they speak..

I generally joke around with some of my close friends by saying.. oohh, oohh cual el la vaina.. and some other stuff you hear in my neighborhood - Washington Heights ! They apparently do not like it, but they don't seem to be offended though..

In general most people don't like to be imitated on how they speak. It also depends on how u do it and if u don't over do it. Some people just don't want to stop the imitation thing and is just plain rude.

G

gary short

Rocky said:
The ultimate insult is to slap a Dominican in the face.
Do it, and it could cost you your life.
Geez that's probably the case anywhere..... except some Bavarian towns where it's considered foreplay.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
M.A.R. said:
In general most people don't like to be imitated on how they speak. It also depends on how u do it and if u don't over do it. Some people just don't want to stop the imitation thing and is just plain rude.

I know this ! When I'm w/ friends, we joke around a bit (they also start bothering me on how I speak and the different words I use ) but I noticed they are more sensitive to that kind of joking (on they way some dominicans speak) compared to if I was joking around with my fellow Ecuadoreans.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Don't correct a Dominican in anything. If you do and they give a lame, twisted logic excuse, don't point out their excuse is lame and twisted, or it may all escalate way out of hand.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Or calling them Haitian! The ultimate insult.

Potato_Salad asked about what offends, and the second poster hit the nail on the head. Poor Hygiene!...Especially body odours! they really get down on foreigners, especially European visitors who seem to have built a reputation..

Regarding gifts, I do not think there is anything you can NOT give! :p

Regarding children: Love and affection is warmly received, just as Mirador said.

Dominicans do not like poor dress. For example: touristy style dress in a downtown area is seen as disrespectful.

Being a tightwad or stingy is not nice, but the rules of self preservation are very fuzzy.

I am sure there are more...

HB :D:D

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Hillbilly is right !

Dominicans do not like to be referred as Haitain.

It's quite true that they like to dress better in any ocassion.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I greatly appreciate it!!! :classic:

All of your posts have been very helpful and it shall help me have a better understanding about the Dominican Republic,...........and women. ;)