Is DR a patriarchal or matriarchal society?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My vote would be for a matriarchal society, given the large number of fatherless homes, the large number of divorces and separations and the homes where mom will get her way, despite the prevalent machismo.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Dolores said:
My vote would be for a matriarchal society, given the large number of fatherless homes, the large number of divorces and separations and the homes where mom will get her way, despite the prevalent machismo.

Notwithstanding the large number of matriarchal families, the DR remains solidly a patriarchal society. Machismo is just the side of the coin that faces upwards....

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The known universe is a matriarchal society.

Machismo is henpecked men trying to overcompensate when they think their their wives aren't listening and Chauvanism is something women invented to evade responsibility for screwing up the world.

Most heads of state are men because their wives can't be bothered with these boring details.

The DR is no exception.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Matriarchal. Nobody has ever heard a ballplayer thank his dad for helping him get to the bigs.!!

while the society might be dominated by males, they all defer to Mommy, when it gets down to the nitty gritty.

No Dominican has ever shouted or moaned, "Ay papi" when shot in the gut!~!

HB :ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's an interesting question. In terms of where the real power (economic, social and political) lies, the DR is not really a matriarchy, but there are some interesting exceptions to the rule.

One is the fact raised by Dolores that many families here are headed by women. I believe the statistic is about 48% across the Caribbean. This happens as a result of desertion, not just divorce or family break-up but because of the migration from rural to urban areas and overseas. Most of these women-headed families are concentrated in the lower end of the socio-economic scale, and have limited economic power or political and social influence.

OTOH, economically and politically there are some remarkably strong women in this country. There are caudillo-type politicians like Lila Alburquerque and Milagros Ort?z Bosch. There are high-profile and influential business leaders like Elena Viyella de Paliza - and she is not a one-off case. Many top judges, journalists, doctors and lawyers are female. These are good role models for strong, qualified and high-achieving women in DR society, and national heroine Minerva Mirabal who was an intellectual as well as a revolutionary is also worth a mention.

Another encouraging trend is in education - most university students are female, so unlike certain other developing countries where girls are largely denied an education, the DR performs well in this sense.

The mother does have a special place in the Dominican family - she is placed on a pedestal and accorded a great deal of respect. Or is she? My impression is that especially with regard to the older generation, much of this respect is superficial, and that no one really listens to much of what she has to say. She is adored and feted, but ultimately her role is to care for her brood and not much else. In women-headed households the son or another male relative like a son-in-law will often assume the real position of authority in the family anyway.

It is likely that this will change as educational levels improve. The signs are there.

Mar 21, 2002
Chirimoya, reading your posts are like reading a textbook- lengthy verbiage, pedantic, dull- need I say more?

JK, Cheery, don't have a cow over this now? Your a real smart dominicana :)

Patriarchal while living and as HB said matriarchal while dying.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Chirimoya said:
It's an interesting question. In terms of where the real power (economic, social and political) lies, the DR is not really a matriarchy, but there are some interesting exceptions to the rule.

One is the fact raised by Dolores that many families here are headed by women. I believe the statistic is about 48% across the Caribbean. This happens as a result of desertion, not just divorce or family break-up but because of the migration from rural to urban areas and overseas. Most of these women-headed families are concentrated in the lower end of the socio-economic scale, and have limited economic power or political and social influence.

OTOH, economically and politically there are some remarkably strong women in this country. There are caudillo-type politicians like Lila Alburquerque and Milagros Ort?z Bosch. There are high-profile and influential business leaders like Elena Viyella de Paliza - and she is not a one-off case. Many top judges, journalists, doctors and lawyers are female. These are good role models for strong, qualified and high-achieving women in DR society, and national heroine Minerva Mirabal who was an intellectual as well as a revolutionary is also worth a mention.

Another encouraging trend is in education - most university students are female, so unlike certain other developing countries where girls are largely denied an education, the DR performs well in this sense.

The mother does have a special place in the Dominican family - she is placed on a pedestal and accorded a great deal of respect. Or is she? My impression is that especially with regard to the older generation, much of this respect is superficial, and that no one really listens to much of what she has to say. She is adored and feted, but ultimately her role is to care for her brood and not much else. In women-headed households the son or another male relative like a son-in-law will often assume the real position of authority in the family anyway.

It is likely that this will change as educational levels improve. The signs are there.
I agree with you. My impression on this topic is that the good things mama taught us guys is lost once the testosterones take over. We tend to go reptilian. Patriarchal but as educational levels improve things hopefully will equalize.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
Hillbilly said:
No Dominican has ever shouted or moaned, "Ay papi" when shot in the gut!~!
HB :ermm:

That is soooooooooo true! hahaha but they do make you say "Son papi" when one of your friends is bending your hand or something like that know what i mean

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Hmn.............definitely patriarchal

Hmn.............definitely patriarchal

I have to profer that woman-led households are ones in which the macho chose to fly the coop and the Mama is stuck with the kiddies. I have never heard a Domincan female aspire to running a family, alone.

Just my grouchy three centavos,
Samana - and just how IS my airport coming this week anyway?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Onions&carrots said:
Chirimoya, reading your posts are like reading a textbook- lengthy verbiage, pedantic, dull- need I say more?

Perhaps she writes for intelligent people? ;) I found it neither dull, nor pedantic and if you consider anything beyond 3 sentences lengthy.........

I would also ask to whom in the family the remittances are sent? My vote would be matriarchal.

Jostan

Jun 17, 2006
Lambada said:
Perhaps she writes for intelligent people? ;) I found it neither dull, nor pedantic and if you consider anything beyond 3 sentences lengthy.........

I would also ask to whom in the family the remittances are sent? My vote would be matriarchal.

I dont even know what pedantic is :ermm: Anyway, after looking up what the definition of patriarchal and matriarchal is exactly, I would definetly say patriarchal. A lot of women do raise their children alone and are the boss in the house, but as soon as she finds a new man or another (adult) man comes in the house, he is in charge.