Starting a business in Santo Domingo

hip1

May 22, 2006
I have owned two restaurants in the US (one Italian and one Middle Eastern), as well as having been the Director of Catering for a major American hotel, and Account Manager at a large incentive travel company. I am not yet fluent in Spanish, but I am able to speak in limited conversations (particularly in areas related to my work), and am continuing with intensive private tutoring to improve my Spanish-speaking skills. If landing a job with a good salary is not likely, how difficult is it to start a business in Santo Domingo (my areas of expertise are in event planning and restaurants)?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
With the right bankroll, it is doable.

I think I would go very, very slowly. I notice that all of the "IN" places in Santo Domingo are owned by "IN" people...so you will have to network.

I know some people that are thinking of starting a bakery. Who are they? well, they happen to be rather connected to a very large local bank, and an invite from them is hardly ever refused....get the picture??

Networking is the game.

Come on down, see what your options might be, and then take the plunge..

But slowly...remember, the advice: "How do you take a small fortune out of the Dominican Republic?? You start with a large fortune!!!HB :D:D:D

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
My advice is to spend some time in Santo Domingo before ever thinking about doing business here. Get to know the culture, how things work, network as much as possible etc etc. I see many more gringo businesses fail than survive. Most of the time it's because they didn't do the due diligence or they thought they could out smart Dominicans.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
hip1 said:
So better to start off looking for a job....what are my chances?
That probably depends on if you are looking for a job where you can learn the lay of the land (sort of like an apprentice), or if you need a job to survive financially.