Safe in Santo Domingo for American woman?

hip1

May 22, 2006
How safe is it in Santo Domingo for an American woman? Safe to walk around alone during the day? Friends tell me I'm crazy for doing that, but I've traveled all over the world and Santo D. doesn't seem any more dangerous than anyplace else. (Of course there are certain areas I'm not going to go into, but that's a given anyplace.) I'm thinking of moving there and wanting to get feedback on this issue. Most of my time over the last couple years has been spent in La Romana, so I've only been to Santo Domingo once for about a week.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why on earth would you want to walk around the most sweaty, sultry, contaminated city in the DR, during the day???

In the evenings, there are great places to walk around and in the early morning.
Just ask Chirimoya---

Being American is no different than being anyone else, unless you dress "TOURIST" and walk around in flip-flops and shorts with a sleeveless halter or something similar...get the picture??

No self respecting lady walks around Santo Domingo, except to exercise.

HB :D:D

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Beg to differ, they certainly do walk in the center of town, and that is why I live there. Pedestrian life is one of the keys to civilization in my view; cars are barbaric. All the best European cities have a street life. So does the center of St Domingo. If you want to live in the newer areas, around Mirador park or Piantini or Arroyo Hondo, then no, you will not see too many people walking, but here in Gazcue, Ciudad Nueva and the Colonial zone we do walk. it does get hot, though, and car emissions are a problem here.

it is safe enough, but you should always walk with your purse away from the street side and keep your eyes peeled.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
SD on the whole is not a pedestrian-friendly city, but if you choose the area you want to live in carefully, the ones that macocael mentions are the best.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Macocael: You are absolutely right. I was, of course refering to the areas you mentioned, Naco, Piantini, Los Prados etc. Those are not walker friendly.

Even Gazcue can be trying.

That said there are areas, barrios, where everything is within walking distance, but would a foreigner like to live there. Would such a person feel safe?

Remember, the OP is from La Romana.

HB :D:D

hip1

May 22, 2006
Thanks for the feedback. I was walking for exercise...I usually do about an hour a day. I walk in casual wear (tshirt, pants, tennis shoes) and with an ipod tucked inside my shirt. On this trip to Santo Domingo I was at El Embajador and walked down past Mirador Park to Malecon, around and back to the hotel, at 8:00 in the morning. It felt safe, but I was told it is not. Later I walked with a friend to the Colonial Zone.

I've seen some of the worst areas of the city, and no, I wouldn't walk there. I was in a taxi just passing through one day.

By the way, a question....is "barrio" a derogatory term, or is it ok to use in referring to somebody's neighborhood?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just be aware, you might be robbed of your iPOD @ any hour in any area of the capital.

Make sure it's a shuffle and not a big deal if this happens.

Personally, I like to be aware of my surroundings, why not save the music for The Pool/Beach?