looking for a host family

wattz

May 1, 2006
Hello. I am a young, single American teacher looking to relocate temporarily to the Dominican Republic. I haven?t decided on an area yet?pretty much wherever I can find a job teaching or tutoring, but probably Santo Domingo. I was hoping to find a host family to stay with. If anyone knows of someone that would be willing to rent a room in their home and possibly provide me some help in getting to know the area, it would be greatly appreciated. I would certainly be willing to tutor the host family in English in addition to paying for my room and board. Thanks.

-Zach

Toronto Girl 11

May 2, 2006
Hello Wattz,
I can understand your dilemma. I am a young , single Canadian female trying to obtain some host family information. I will have from November 27th, 2006 - January 2nd, 2007 off from work and i was thinking about attending a language immersion program in the DR. It was recommended to stay with a host family.. It's working out to be pretty pricey for 1mth with a host family in Santo Domingo?
Do you speak Spanish?

Has anyone out there utilized an immersion program in the DR? Can you please provide feedback? Any suggestions on what i can do in that one month time would be greatly appreciated. The goals for sure are to learn Spanish and enjoy life in another country for Xmas and New Years.

You feedback will be greatly appreciated,
TG11

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Most of your problem is that Dominicans are not inclined to open their homes to strangers.

Those that might do this already speak one or several languages, so there is little incentive for them to bring a stranger into the house.

From what I have seen the full immersion courses are a major money pit for those that use them.

It is cheaper to come here and enroll in a school and pay for a small room in a family house.

HB:D:D

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Studying + Beach

Whereas S.D. or Santiago will show you how life in the cities is, I'd rather choose a smaller town with a beach.
Of course I suggest Saman?.
You may not find a language school but be able to learn Spanish (well, sort of...) by taking part in the daily life.
Placing a small ad in the local newspaper LT7 may also help.

m'frog

wattz

May 1, 2006
Toronto Girl, I?m not fluent in Spanish, but I speak enough to get around. I?m hoping to improve my Spanish, but I plan on doing so by simply immersing myself in the culture. You?d be surprised how quickly you learn when you?re forced to.

Hillbilly (like the name, I?m a West Virginian), if a host family is not possible, what do you suggest as the best (in terms of safety, price, location, etc.) temporary living condition? Is paying for a small room in a family home different than staying with a host family?

Mountain Frog, would I be able to find any work teaching/tutoring in Saman?? Though I?m planning on staying for 6-7 months, and would like to work some.

Thank you all for you?re help, any more advise would be appreciated.

-Zach

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Several of us'ens has been here over the years. It so happens i am the Old Man of the Mountain..at least in the DR.

You can find a nice place to stay with a couple of days of easy looking. The university PUCMM has a list of homes where they will rent a room and provide meals.

As for teaching, how the he!! do you think you're gonna teach Dominicans to speak West Virginian?? TIN = ten; PIN = pen; kaint = can not etcetcetc..
sheesh!

There are plenty of places in Santiago that will hire you for a couple of months. Berlitz, John F. Kennedy, Dominico-Americano plus six or seven other places all can use a teacher of ESL--if you be qualified...

HB (Kanawah County--Coal River Mountaineer)

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Teaching Jobs

wattz said:
....would I be able to find any work teaching/tutoring in Saman??

I must admit that Saman? is not really the place to get work as an English teacher easily.
There are some private schools (colegios), where you could try your luck, accepting low pay, however.
If Saman? becomes your choice you'll want to be here and do the networking in Las Terrenas and Saman? Town.
There may be other vacancies than teaching.

m'frog