Things to do in Santiago?

loki

Apr 20, 2006
This is my first post, but I've been reading the posts for quite awhile now and find the advice of the locals to be excellent. My question is directed for those of you that are famialar with the city of Santiago (AZB, Hillbilly, Ricardo009, WAG, Skandell, etc.)

I will be in Santiago very soon to visit my father and grandmother, I'll be staying near the monument. My Spanish is excellent. When I have some free time during the day and leave the house (between 10 am & 8pm) where can I go to meet people and have fun experiences and maybe make new friends or just have an enjoyable time and not be stuck in the house?

Also, I know that at night time Thursday thru Sunday I can always go to Ahi Bar, Francifol, etc. for a good time, but what if I want to go out on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday night, where can I go on those nights, meet people have a good time, etc?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
loki said:
This is my first post, but I've been reading the posts for quite awhile now and find the advice of the locals to be excellent. My question is directed for those of you that are famialar with the city of Santiago (AZB, Hillbilly, Ricardo009, WAG, Skandell, etc.)

I will be in Santiago very soon to visit my father and grandmother, I'll be staying near the monument. My Spanish is excellent. When I have some free time during the day and leave the house (between 10 am & 8pm) where can I go to meet people and have fun experiences and maybe make new friends or just have an enjoyable time and not be stuck in the house?

Also, I know that at night time Thursday thru Sunday I can always go to Ahi Bar, Francifol, etc. for a good time, but what if I want to go out on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday night, where can I go on those nights, meet people have a good time, etc?
Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are pretty dead, but I recall that El Prodigio used to perform every Wednesday at Monte Bar, alot of Dancing and it gets crowded. I recommend driving around and look for those signs advertising concerts during the week. On the weekend there's tons of clubs and bars to party in. Good Luck

loki

Apr 20, 2006
Your're right, because I remember going to Monte Bar on a Wednesday night (Fefita La Grande was there and I didn't want to stay home staring at the walls) and I have to admit I had a good time drinking and dancing & socializing. I remember a girl came up to me and asked me to dance salsa with her (because when I came out of the Mens' room I was moving my feet to the salsa song that was playing while the band took a break) I was a bit embrassed while I explained to her that those were the only 2 salsa steps I knew, she kept on insisting though, so I took her out to dance a merengue instead. Thanks Ricardo, if anyone else has any suggestions please don't hesitate to jump in.

puertorricane

May 23, 2006
Go to Ambis thats where my friends take me everytime i go there.... lots of beautifull females.. plus no matter what changes in santiago Ambis is always a favorite for the people there since i started going to santiago ten yrs ago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
During the day, you should definately go to Centro Leon. Plus they have activities almost every day. A place to meet people. Also go over to the universities and see what you can find.

Listen to the radio for tips on what is happening. Go down town to the Casa de Arte, or Tablas..just ask around the area of the Centro de Cultura, by the parque Duarte, to find where they are.
Go over to the Plaza Internacional and hang a bit.

HB :D:D

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
On Wednesday nights you can go to Francifol, they have free wine tasting from 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm.

I was there this last wednesday for a champagne tasting and had a blast. I ended up dancing reaggeton with a dominican Sandwich ;)

I am going back for seconds tonite!

Jan 5, 2006
On Monday or Wednesday night, Monte Bar is not bad because ladies usually get in free. www.tipicomontebar.com

Ambis has live performances on Wednesdays, so check for your specific dates. www.ambisdiscotec.com

For daytime activities, I suggest that you try to make it to the north coast (Sosua or Cabarete) for some fun in the ocean, or Jarabacoa for plenty of river related activities. Have fun!

loki

Apr 20, 2006
Gread Advice!!

Thanks Hipocrito Mejia (great name!!) and puertorricane regarding Ambis. Last time I was in Santiago I met an american girl there who was visiting from California and I got her number and asked her out. None of us have ever been to Ambis (I was born & raised in the U.S. and go once a year to Santiago to visit my family). Well we're excited to go because we had heard that Ambis was not bad. Anyhow we get there and are all ready to dance and what not, and the guy at the door smiles and with his best attempt at English says to her "Maddam, but u ehhhh how u say???? Pleassse ehh, jeans, pantssss he, he,he pleassse, he, he, yes, very nice, buutt, he, he, ehhhh????

Well she thought he was hitting on her or something because she says to him in English (because she can't speak Spanish) "Oh, thank you!, but I'm with someone, but thanks for the compliment!"

Well I started laughing and told the guy in Spanish (he addressed both of us in English first, he just assumed I didn't know Spanish, you can't blame him I look like a straight up gringo!) that it was O.K. and thanked him. He was very nice and glad I spoke Spanish and apologized for the inconveinance. I told him there was no need to apologize and thanked him again, and I took her back to the car. She says "where are we going, I hope you didn't get upset because that guy was hitting on me!!"

I said to her "He was not hitting on your, my dear. He was just trying to tell you that you cannot wear jeans in Ambis!!"

So we went to Monte Bar to get our groove on and the rest is for another thread!! Hey this goes for everyone out there, if any of you guys have any funny or cool stories about dating in Santiago similiar to the one above please post them on this thread I'd like to hear them! I saw that WAG mentioned something about a "Dominican Sandwich @ Francifol" (Cooool, definitely the best sandwich around)

Hey I'll be in Santiago shortly if any of you guys want to get together to share some stories & for some Presidente's on me just let me know!!

loki

Apr 20, 2006
Hillbilly thanks for the things to do during the day I definitely needed that information & will go to those places, do you or anyone out there by chance know places where I could play dominoes during the day? That's something I love to do. And the invitation is also open to you (from previous post) to meet for some Presidente's on me for when I arrive in Santiago.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
Other places

I have always had a great time at Tipico Monte Bar. I just love to go dancing bachata and meregue.

You can also try the waterparks (Kaskada Parks). Nice place to go for a nice swim and relax and have fun. And on a nice day when the girls all come out there in their elements, you really will have a time of your life, watching sweet looking girls in hot bikinis.

The doctor surgeon has said it is a healthy pastime and the lawyers have also said it is very legal to do that.

Blink Blink;)

loki

Apr 20, 2006
Sholly 24 What a coincidence????
I saw my doctor just yesterday and he advised me to take up a healthy pastime, something to get my mind off things for awhile.

Everytime I go to Santiago I hang out with some family members.My uncle is a member of some of the social clubs over there. I think one of them is Amaprosan? I don't know if it's still around but he took me there and we hung out @ the pool. They used to have a basketball court right next to the pool area. Another place I think it's called Centro Espanol or something like that. I don't know if they have a pool, he invited me to go but I passed up the offer.

Sholly 24, I'm not to familiar where things are in Santiago (I'm actually going to buy a map this time when I go). Where exactly is Kaskada Parks?

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
loki said:
Sholly 24 What a coincidence????
I saw my doctor just yesterday and he advised me to take up a healthy pastime, something to get my mind off things for awhile.

Everytime I go to Santiago I hang out with some family members.My uncle is a member of some of the social clubs over there. I think one of them is Amaprosan? I don't know if it's still around but he took me there and we hung out @ the pool. They used to have a basketball court right next to the pool area. Another place I think it's called Centro Espanol or something like that. I don't know if they have a pool, he invited me to go but I passed up the offer.

Sholly 24, I'm not to familiar where things are in Santiago (I'm actually going to buy a map this time when I go). Where exactly is Kaskada Parks?

Since you have family there, they will know where it is. I don't live there so I cannot give you precise directions but I know that you get off a ramp on one of the roads and you will see the sign as you get off the ramp. The waterparks is on a right hand turn after you get off the ramp and carwash Gomez Diaz is further down the road (i believe on the left hand side). Any taxi driver should know the place.

Animation

Jan 12, 2006
Wag
Bronze Join Date: Feb 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Wednesday nights you can go to Francifol, they have free wine tasting from 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm.

I was there this last wednesday for a champagne tasting and had a blast. I ended up dancing reaggeton with a dominican Sandwich

What's in a dominican sandwich??

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The bread is baked in the finest Panaderia's of Cibao.
I do believe Wag was the meat!

loki

Apr 20, 2006
"Dominican Sandwich"

Confusious say: Young grasshopper, when you are in the middle of a Dominican Sandwich you'll experience much joy!!!!!!:chinese: :chinese:
Your lucky numbers are: 7,14,19,23,25,69

Jan 5, 2006
loki said:
Confusious say: Young grasshopper, when you are in the middle of a Dominican Sandwich you'll experience much joy!!!!!!:chinese: :chinese:
Your lucky numbers are: 7,14,19,23,25,69
Hahaha! I would have expected that post from potato salad with a funny pic to go with it! :)

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Don't forget Camp David for a delicious Lunch or Dinner. The view from the mountain is magnificent. Bring a pair of binoculars.

loki

Apr 20, 2006
Camp David

When is the most romantic time to go to Camp David during lunch or dinner? Camp David?????
Oh yeah that rings a bell, last time in Santiago I was talking to a taxi driver and he mentioned to me that if a girl asks me to take her to Kukara Makara (restaurant) or Camp David she just wants me to spend dough. Just wanted to know what you guys thought about that. :bored: