Is it safe to move?

Christophine1961

May 25, 2006
I am a franco-American chef and I have been offered a job in one of the villas in Cabrera. What shoul I know before I say yes or no? I have a family (wife and 13yo son) so it is a major move. I do not know anythind about the island.
Please help
Thanks
chris
News: I have spent the last 20 minutes reading posts and found out interesting things:
1- You have to carry a gun in your house to protect yourself?
2- Not safe for a woman to walk by herself in the city?
3- Water not drinkable?
Finaly... I found paradise.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Have you been to Cabrera? I suggest you come down and check it out. Note that your son's option for school would be about 45 minutes away in Sosua, or homeschooling, or attending the public school.

The area is lovely, full of lots of upscale villas and more wealth about to pour in. Lots will be happening in the area in the next two years as big players have bought in. But in the meantime, it is slow and quiet. You will have to provide your own entertainment in Cabrera. But 45 minutes away in Cabarete is a teenager's dream town with skateboarding, kiteboarding, windsurfing, surfing...

I do not know anyone in Cabrera who carries a gun, but of course there are persons that do so. It is true that crime is on the up in the DR, and you should be alert. For sure the owners of the house have already taken safety precautions in this direction.

You are talking more of a hamlet or small town, Cabrera is not a city. A woman can definitely walk by herself in all of Cabrera. Don't recall it having any dangerous slum areas.

Water is not drinkable off the tap in any city in the DR -- unless it is treated as some gated communities and resorts do. Others install filter systems. Take note most Dominicans brush and bathe with tap water, so one does get accustomed to it.

The North Coast is on a earthquake belt. But I think the death toll was less than 10 nationwide during the last earthquake some years ago.

Paradise will always be where you make it and where you may surround yourself with the people that you love. But Cabrera and Playa Grande area are a lovely area, naturewise. If the pay were good, the challenges of sourcing food materials not a bugger (meaning you will have to be creative and adapt), and you could arrange for transportation for your son so he is not bored, then definitely go for it. It could be the best time of your life.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
It is true that a lot of people on the Samana peninsula died is a tsunami following an earthquake off the coast in 1946. If that makes the entire island unsafe then so is a significant part of the world, including the entire west coast of the US.

Following the recent breakin of a house in Sosua there has been a spirited discussion on DR1 about crime and personal security.There are advocates for having a firearm, but by no means a consensus. Again, this is a discussion that takes place in first world cities all the time. I personally think that the problem with crime in the DR is less about the likelihood of being a victim and more about the unlikelihood of the perpetrators being brought to justice if you are.

The discussion about safety for a female to walk alone is about specific neighborhoods in large cities such as Santo Domingo and Santiago. Again, there are areas in just about any large city in the world where this would be unwise.

It is absolutely true that tap water is not safe to drink, or good to cook with either. Purified water is sold in 5 gallon bottles for next to nothing.

If the financial aspects of this offer suit you and the duties seem to match what you want to do, I think you should consider making a visit to Cabrera to check things out yourself. As Dolores said, that portion of the North coast is indeed beautiful, and Cabrera is essentially a sleepy little town.

Christophine1961

May 25, 2006
Thanks

Thank you so much for spending the time to write. We truly appreciate. All info is helpful.
Best
Chris

Dolores said:
Have you been to Cabrera? I suggest you come down and check it out. Note that your son's option for school would be about 45 minutes away in Sosua, or homeschooling, or attending the public school.

The area is lovely, full of lots of upscale villas and more wealth about to pour in. Lots will be happening in the area in the next two years as big players have bought in. But in the meantime, it is slow and quiet. You will have to provide your own entertainment in Cabrera. But 45 minutes away in Cabarete is a teenager's dream town with skateboarding, kiteboarding, windsurfing, surfing...

I do not know anyone in Cabrera who carries a gun, but of course there are persons that do so. It is true that crime is on the up in the DR, and you should be alert. For sure the owners of the house have already taken safety precautions in this direction.

You are talking more of a hamlet or small town, Cabrera is not a city. A woman can definitely walk by herself in all of Cabrera. Don't recall it having any dangerous slum areas.

Water is not drinkable off the tap in any city in the DR -- unless it is treated as some gated communities and resorts do. Others install filter systems. Take note most Dominicans brush and bathe with tap water, so one does get accustomed to it.

The North Coast is on a earthquake belt. But I think the death toll was less than 10 nationwide during the last earthquake some years ago.

Paradise will always be where you make it and where you may surround yourself with the people that you love. But Cabrera and Playa Grande area are a lovely area, naturewise. If the pay were good, the challenges of sourcing food materials not a bugger (meaning you will have to be creative and adapt), and you could arrange for transportation for your son so he is not bored, then definitely go for it. It could be the best time of your life.

Christophine1961

May 25, 2006
Tahnks

Thanks for your help. It is deeply appreciated.
Chris

sweetdbt said:
It is true that a lot of people on the Samana peninsula died is a tsunami following an earthquake off the coast in 1946. If that makes the entire island unsafe then so is a significant part of the world, including the entire west coast of the US.

Following the recent breakin of a house in Sosua there has been a spirited discussion on DR1 about crime and personal security.There are advocates for having a firearm, but by no means a consensus. Again, this is a discussion that takes place in first world cities all the time. I personally think that the problem with crime in the DR is less about the likelihood of being a victim and more about the unlikelihood of the perpetrators being brought to justice if you are.

The discussion about safety for a female to walk alone is about specific neighborhoods in large cities such as Santo Domingo and Santiago. Again, there are areas in just about any large city in the world where this would be unwise.

It is absolutely true that tap water is not safe to drink, or good to cook with either. Purified water is sold in 5 gallon bottles for next to nothing.

If the financial aspects of this offer suit you and the duties seem to match what you want to do, I think you should consider making a visit to Cabrera to check things out yourself. As Dolores said, that portion of the North coast is indeed beautiful, and Cabrera is essentially a sleepy little town.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
about the 1946 Sanchez' tsunami....

The tsunami struck on August 4th, 1946, as the result of an 8.1 quake (in the Richter scale). Most of the damage was circumscribed to the region inland between Matancita (next to Nagua), to Cruce Rincon, La Majagua and Sanchez. These locations are visible in the map below. This area is mostly below sea level.

10pc2gn.jpg