Dogs being poisioned

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Take care of your dogs as in some areas dogs are being poisioned and recently we heard that this is happening because maybe your home could be targetted for a robbery.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
this is a common tactic among theives usually done immediately before a robbery if they feel threatenned by a dog. this is why form the time a dog is a puppy it should be taught not to accept food that is not put in its dog bowl by its owner. this is very important!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Beads said:
this is a common tactic among theives usually done immediately before a robbery if they feel threatenned by a dog. this is why form the time a dog is a puppy it should be taught not to accept food that is not put in its dog bowl by its owner. this is very important!
You got that straight.
Then they wait a couple of weeks for you to get used to no longer having a dog, before robbing the house.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The dog that did not bark....

Rocky said:
You got that straight.
Then they wait a couple of weeks for you to get used to no longer having a dog, before robbing the house.

Crime statistics show that a majority of crime is committed by people familiar with the victim(s) and their surroundings...
Also, there's a strong possibility that the dogs are being poisoned accidentally, since it is a common practice to get rid of mice and rats by spreading poison laced morcels, which the dogs unsuspectedly would also partake...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
AZB said:
What ever happened to honor among thieves?

Honor among thieves? did you her the one about the two bank robbers?....

Aftab and Rashid were standing in a bank when a pair of robbers entered the lobby.

Not only did the thieves clean out the tills, but they walked around with bags and ordered everyone to throw their valuables in.

Just as the thieves got to the pair, Aftab turned to Rashid and, passing him a bill, said, "By the way, here's that hundred bucks I owe you."

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hahahaha, i saw that in "sanford and son" my favorite late 70's program.
AZB

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Dogs poisioned

Chester4 said:
Take care of your dogs as in some areas dogs are being poisioned and recently we heard that this is happening because maybe your home could be targetted for a robbery.

Yesterday, morning 3 of our 5 dogs were not around which is very unusual as when they go they only leave for a couple of hours the most. No, signs of them this morning then a phone call from a neighbour telling me that a lot of dogs in the neighbourhood have disappeared.
We have just returned after looking for them and found two of our dogs dead and in total around 11 dogs. My neighbours and I are all aware that this is not the end of the story and are keeping a watchfull eye.
It's such a shame that people have to come to this and poison animals to get what they want.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chester4 said:
Yesterday, morning 3 of our 5 dogs were not around which is very unusual as when they go they only leave for a couple of hours the most. No, signs of them this morning then a phone call from a neighbour telling me that a lot of dogs in the neighbourhood have disappeared.
We have just returned after looking for them and found two of our dogs dead and in total around 11 dogs. My neighbours and I are all aware that this is not the end of the story and are keeping a watchfull eye.
It's such a shame that people have to come to this and poison animals to get what they want.

Chester4, don't jump to conclusions just yet. There's myriad possibilities to the mystery. For example, yesterday, in Villa Gonzalez, about 10 kilometers northwest of Santiago, a man was killed by a pit bull... Do you know of anyone having a grudge against your dogs? Several years ago, all the dogs within a 5 kilometer radius from my hut in Azua, were destroyed by a contingent of military police led by the local Commander, after over one hundred goat carcasses were found spread over a wide area near my hut. No protestations from the campesino dog owners, including my own pleading that dogs had nothing to do with it, managed to save them...

By the way, here's a picture of the pit bull that killed a man this morning in Villa Gonzalez...

10qkhzn.jpg

http://www.elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=55406

Last edited:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
It really is sad that dogs do get poisoned, however it seems that the poisoned dogs are allowed to roam freely, during which time they can be attracted to purpously poisoned meat. While I don't know where you live Chester, is there no way you can restrict the dogs to your property? To have 3 of 5 dogs killed like this is terrible. Please post more details when you have more information. Thanks... Canadian Bob.

james

Jan 14, 2002
There is another possibilty as well.
There have been many people complaining that the barking of wild/loose dogs throughout much of the night has been preventing them from sleeping. Even just the wild/loose dogs passing by the homes at night starts the home dogs going so one never knows if there is a thief around when the barking is constant. Totally defeats the purpose of having a dog for a watchman to sound the alarm.

I NEVER let my dogs out except the very rare occasion one might have "escaped" so to speak and we have worried until we got them back that they might get stolen or poisoned or attacked by other dogs or hit by a vehicle.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Or still another possibility.
It could be a message from a past business associate. Like waking up with a horse's head in your bed.:paranoid:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Mirador said:
Chester4, don't jump to conclusions just yet. There's myriad possibilities to the mystery. For example, yesterday, in Villa Gonzalez, about 10 kilometers northwest of Santiago, a man was killed by a pit bull... Do you know of anyone having a grudge against your dogs? Several years ago, all the dogs within a 5 kilometer radius from my hut in Azua, were destroyed by a contingent of military police led by the local Commander, after over one hundred goat carcasses were found spread over a wide area near my hut. No protestations from the campesino dog owners, including my own pleading that dogs had nothing to do with it, managed to save them...

By the way, here's a picture of the pit bull that killed a man this morning in Villa Gonzalez...

10qkhzn.jpg

http://www.elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=55406

What an ugly peice of crap. I've allways hated Pits and wish they were all eliminated.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Chester4 said:

Yes, the above may be an indicator of a potential robbery being planned.

However, the flip side of this is poisoning by people fed-up with dog owners who do not and will not take responsibility for their own behavior and that of their animals. These are the owners that allow the animals to roam free and accost people or other animals; to leave animal waste in the other guys property; and to destroy property, to keep the neighbors awake all night with continuous barking. When an owner will not restrain his animal or even make an effort to clean up waste or even make ammends by correcting damage caused by his animal or silence his animal, what is a victim to do?

As a former dog owner I know and practiced the proper responsibility and behavior of myself and pet/mascot and got along very well with my neighbors. I expect the same behavior of my fellow dog owning neighbors.

Take note: A home may be targeted for a poisoning because the dog owner does not regulate the behavior of his dog, not because a robbery is being planned.

Regards,
PJT

G

gary short

I'm with you Eddy. Imagine something like that running around your neighborhood. I'm not insinuating that that was the case with the dog owner that posted here. If I saw that thing roaming around I personally would off it.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Eddy said:
What an ugly peice of crap. I've allways hated Pits and wish they were all eliminated.
It's almost as if they are not part of the dog family.
It's the only breed that I can never trust, and I mean, NEVER.

As for the killings in our area, it has to do with burglaries.
Individually, you could get your dog poisoined by someone who wanted to get back at you, but there have been warnings from Judy's Pet lodge, for over a month now, about several dogs being poisoined, throughout the Sosua/Cabarete areas.
When this happens, it's an attempt by thieves to reduce the protective dog population.
This is NOT the first time this has happened.
Judy's warnings advised us to keep our dogs close and not permit them to roam freely.
As was mentioned in the OP's case, she let them out loose.

G

gary short

I especially like it when the neighborhoods dogs run around crapping all over and after stewing in the hot tropical sun impart that............................

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
PJT said:
Yes, the above may be an indicator of a potential robbery being planned.

However, the flip side of this is poisoning by people fed-up with dog owners who do not and will not take responsibility for their own behavior and that of their animals. These are the owners that allow the animals to roam free and accost people or other animals; to leave animal waste in the other guys property; and to destroy property, to keep the neighbors awake all night with continuous barking. When an owner will not restrain his animal or even make an effort to clean up waste or even make ammends by correcting damage caused by his animal or silence his animal, what is a victim to do?

As a former dog owner I know and practiced the proper responsibility and behavior of myself and pet/mascot and got along very well with my neighbors. I expect the same behavior of my fellow dog owning neighbors.

Take note: A home may be targeted for a poisoning because the dog owner does not regulate the behavior of his dog, not because a robbery is being planned.

Regards,
PJT

Just heard that there was one attempted break-in at a neighbours house since the dogs were poisioned.
Police have been petrolling.. we had to call them out last night and they were here in two minutes. Well done Policia !