Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dominican Constitution; ..Amending it

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Question The Dominican Constitution; ..Amending it

what's required, and what's the process?

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aegap
    what's required, and what's the process?
    Ambitious politicians, and lots of money...

It's an open secret that the last change in the constitution (to allow for the reelection of Hipolito Mejía) was pulled off by Hernani Salazar to the tune of about RD$100 million, distributed unequally between the members of Congress meeting as the National Assembly (all you need is two thirds vote majority)...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Meija cant run for president anymore,only Leonel can.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monster
    I thought Meija cant run for president anymore,only Leonel can.
    We're talking about the 2002 presidential elections, when the constitution was changed so Hipólito could run again. I'm willing to take bets that the constitution will be changed again, to allow Leonel Hernández to run again, for reelection in 2008....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Leonel could run for reelection as the constitution is currently written, amendments and all. Can't he?

...two thirds of both chambers?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it currently allows the President to run for reelection only once. Win or lose.

Post Thanks / Like

My worries:
    A Constitutional reform that will allow F'dez to try for re-election is NOT one of them. His party was based on the no-re-election platform....would be interesting to see how many of the party faithful would stick with him if he tried to get re-elected...

Real worries: the consolidation of the elections. This takes the cance for voters to register their disgust at the mid term elections--like just what happened. The result would be that a magnetic candidate--Clinton, kennedy or Fernandez would "pull" all of his party with him. this was Balaguer at his finest.

#2) that they won't dare remove Art. 55 which grants too much power to the President.

#3) That they will continue to enlarge the bureaucracy by creating more ministries and more provinces.

4) that they will approve the sale of the Bahía de las Águilas to some phony investors....

It goes on and on....

We are so screwed!!

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly
    My worries:
    A Constitutional reform that will allow F'dez to try for re-election is NOT one of them.
    #2) that they won't dare remove Art. 55 which grants too much power to the President.

HB
    whats Article 55? ..is that the one allowing the president to govern by decrees, a la Balaguer?

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aegap
    whats Article 55? ..is that the one allowing the president to govern by decrees, a la Balaguer?

I think what Hillbilly is worried about is parragraph 15, of Article 55 of the Constitution, which reads...

15. Hacer arrestar o expulsar a los extranjeros cuyas actividades, a su juicio, fueren o pudieren ser perjudiciales al orden público o a las buenas costumbres.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that might be a consideration!! Considering that "public order" and "good customs" can be so broadly interpreted.

Like so often happens, it seems that "get the gringo" is the only answer people can come up with in the face of so much corruption and ineptness within the govenment.

You better have some good cigars this coming 2 July.

HB

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast