Moving to the DR

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
So ive decided to come down to the DR for a few months to see if I like it and then make the big move. I've been in the past about 4 times and enjoyed my stay so this time ive decided to stay for a period of 4 months and see if I like it.
At first I wanted to find a job before getting there so I wouldnt have to worry about money but now ive decided that I dont feel like working I want to enjoy my time there, get to know the people, the culture and expand my spanish ... I'll have money on the side cuz I am presently saving a lot. I'm planning to get a little something in Cabarete. So my question is for those of u that are there is there anything i need to know any specifics about the place and am I doing the right thing not working for the time ill be there???
thank u very much

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think it's great that you have the opportunity to try it out for 4 months before moving. While you don't need to work for the four months I would try and investigate the job opportunities while you are there. Great to have fun for 4 months without money worries but if you need to work when moving permanently you'll need to know what your options are and what they pay so you can make an informed decision for the future.

Good luck

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Enough Time

bellissima_81 said:
... I'm planning to get a little something in Cabarete.
Should not be such a big problem.... :classic: .

To work during your stay should be preferred as you'd get the feel for everday life and not make a decision on holiday atmosphere only.

m'frog

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
I dont want to work the first time i come down but i will like Anna said be looking for work and do all of my investigations ...... im just a bit scared knowing it will be one of the first time im gonna be far from my friends and family for that long (knowing i come from an italian family and been living at home for the past 25 yrs ......) but i know in the end it will be a good thing for me !!! looking foward to have living many different experience during my stay there!!!

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Bellissima,

Coming from someone who has made several trips in the past several months, and having stayed for a period of 3 weeks during my last stay, I would strongly encourage you to look to work at least part time.

Although I started out staying for a week at a time, and increased my stays to 2 weeks as time went by, I decided to stay for 3 weeks during my last trip, mostly because I needed to get some things done, but also because I was curious to see how it would feel to be there for a longer period of time. What I found was that 3 weeks was simply too long a period of time for me to stay, and that I could not be a perpetual tourist.

I, like most people, like to have a good time. But, even I can't party every day and every night in order to occupy my time. There simply has to be some productive time, and that might require a job. In fact, I made an offer to a friend of mine there to work for free on occasion while I am there, just to be productive.

So, my point is that if you decide to go down and just hang out for 4 months, I have a feeling that you might find yourself getting pretty bored. If, however, you plan to determine whether or not you might want to move there at some point and have a life, you might certainly want to include working as a part of that equation so that it gives you a better idea about what real life would be like as a working person, as opposed to life as a "perpetual tourist".

Hope this helps, and good luck.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Very good advice jack.
You must find a hobby or hobby work if you are not desperate to make money. Yes, a tourist life does get boring after a few days. try to stay in a place where you would have easy internet wireless access so you can bring down your laptop and stay in touch with the rest of the world. Get to know quality folks who have been living here for a long time and learn from them. There is no need to learn from your own mistakes. the lesson will not come cheap if you go that route.
jackquontee, try coming to santiago the next time you decide to stay long time. I will be your host.
Good luck.
AZB

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
thanks all for the advice .... i am planning to bring my laptop and to have either wireless internet where ill be staying or easy acces to internet.... I think im gonna go down with a big open mind, the reason why i did not want to work for the time i was there is because i want to get to know the country, visit, get to know the people there, look for what kind of job i would be qualified to do and get as much info on that as I can... Its mainly because ive been working now for 12 yrs and put myself tru law school and just need the break from work and school and everything else..... I do know that when ill end up getting bored I will look for a part time maybe job or hobby or just give a hand and help out others to make my day more interesting (im very sociable and always want to help others)..... I find the hard part will be to adapt cuz I do come from a big city .... hope ill be fine for those 4 months

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Bellisima, why did you choose Cabarete? If you come from a big city, maybe Santo Domingo will be more to your liking. I think you do well in taking you time to visit and explore the country while living there. You are right, everyone needs a break. You"ll learn more Spanish and get a feel for the situation there. When you do move, it would be nice if you kept us informed regarding your impressions/experiences by posting your thoughts here.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
juancarlos said:
Bellisima, why did you choose Cabarete? If you come from a big city, maybe Santo Domingo will be more to your liking. I think you do well in taking you time to visit and explore the country while living there. You are right, everyone needs a break. You"ll learn more Spanish and get a feel for the situation there. When you do move, it would be nice if you kept us informed regarding your impressions/experiences by posting your thoughts here.

i want to live for now in Cabarete cuz i really like the place but ill visit Santo Doimingo often I have some friends living there and when I decide to make the big move ill see wich city i prefer the best....... I will keep u inform as long as everybody promises not to laugh im a natural goffy!!! One of my friend from here said i should tape everything cuz it would be hilarious but ill keep u all posted on my experience

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
Just A Little Question

Can wireless interenet be installed , how long does it take to be installed and how much is it? or can an appartement already have wireless internet and its included in ure monthly rent?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think Cabarete is going to last about two weeks.

Where are you from, since English doesn't seem to be your native language. Is it Italy? Your law won't be worth much here. What other talents do you have?

The job opportunities are certainly limited on the North Coast and places like Santo Domingo and Santiago certainly have much more cosmopolitan lifestyles...

Don't make long term plans until you look around....

Good luck.

HB :D:D

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com

bellissima_81 said:
Can wireless interenet be installed...

Do you mean internet access via satellite?

That way you'd be totally independent from local providers and their draw backs.
Hardware (satellite dish + LNB + TX/RX-outside unit - Modem) around 2,200 US$ + installation + monthy subscription (from 60 U$S up, depending on the plan you choose).
Works well for me.

m'frog

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
Hillbilly said:
I think Cabarete is going to last about two weeks.

Where are you from, since English doesn't seem to be your native language. Is it Italy? Your law won't be worth much here. What other talents do you have?

The job opportunities are certainly limited on the North Coast and places like Santo Domingo and Santiago certainly have much more cosmopolitan lifestyles...

Don't make long term plans until you look around....

Good luck.

HB :D:D

Actually im from Canada (i do speak and write english but when im writting on the internet i write in slang) but my parents are italian! I have many other skills and I will be looking around , and like my first post says i wont be making any long term plans thats why im gonna come down for 4 months
M'frog thanks for the info on the internet ill look into it!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Interesting: Is the law you studied based on the British system of precedents or the French Code Civil? If the latter you could probably find some legal work here. If the former, you could probably help a lot of people trying to get visas ans such to travel to Canada...

Which are the other skills??

HB :D:D:D

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
Hillbilly said:
Interesting: Is the law you studied based on the British system of precedents or the French Code Civil? If the latter you could probably find some legal work here. If the former, you could probably help a lot of people trying to get visas ans such to travel to Canada...

Which are the other skills??

HB :D:D:D

I studyed civil law and common law did a bit of both, but im planning on going back to school for a minor in international developpement. other skills include anything related with banking, ive been working in a bank as a credit counsellor for the collection dept for the past 5 yrs ...

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I am not sure how the wireless works up in Cabarete, but in SD you get the DSL connection from verizon and then set up your own wireless network in the house. THere may be a different setup in Cabarete, but I kind of doubt it. A setup like M'frog has wouldnt make sense if you are just staying for a few months.

As far as working or not, there are plenty of part time things you could do up there, and you may find some kind of socially useful type work too (Iguana Mama is hooked up with an org that helps out with local schools). The holiday atmosphere of the place could get to be a bore after a while, unless you make an effort to get out and about.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There many reasons why you should look around for work, even in the beginning. The main reason in my opinion, is not the money, but the start of building a social network, of getting to know the culture and a bigger chance to meet good people, rather than those who don?t work. In Cabarete there are any freeloaders, that hang around and just wait to grab and live on people.
Wrong company, might destroy alots of your chances for work, a great adventure and a possible move.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
carina said:
There many reasons why you should look around for work, even in the beginning. The main reason in my opinion, is not the money, but the start of building a social network, of getting to know the culture and a bigger chance to meet good people, rather than those who don?t work. In Cabarete there are any freeloaders, that hang around and just wait to grab and live on people.
Wrong company, might destroy alots of your chances for work, a great adventure and a possible move.

Thanks for the advice, like mentioned b4 i will be looking around for work and create myself a social environnement, as for the freeloaders they wont get nothing out of me I had one b4 in my life so i know all the tricks in the book !!! lol....
BTW how much $$ including the rent and all is enough to live confortable per month?

Last edited:

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Moving too

I have the same question and also would like to know in the Cabarate area who might have a truck & would be interested in a day trip to Santiago to help us buy & trransport modest furnishings for our apartment? We would of course reimburse you for your time & petro.We expect to be able to move in August or September. Anyone?
Thanks,looking forward to our retirement!
Abuela

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
help pls

Just wondering if 1000$ US is enough a month for me to live confortable (like still have money on the side to go out) I will have a roomate so rent will be slipt in 2 and also the grocery and electricity