Ceiling Fans

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I need to purchase a few ceiling fans. I have seen these KDK fans, you cannot get in the USA, which put out a lot of air. I believe this is because of the way the blade is designed.

If you were recommending a ceiling fan, what would you recommend and why? Needs to be a fan that can be purchased here in the DR.

Thanks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hunter. That is if you are looking for the best and most reliable.
The downside is they are expensive here. You can pick them up 3x cheaper on eBay than you can here.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
KDK's are pretty cheap and they last for years and years. Problem is they have an ugly industrial look and don't add much to the decor of a home.

The nicer looking cieling fans don't do much except look good, though I imagine they would help to circulate air-conditioned air, usually the idea of a cieling fan is to do without AC.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
KDK : My thing on Hunters is that they don't move the air!!

KDKs kick up a storm....

I don't really worry about decor (Sorry, Mike!) when I'm sweating and grouchy..

Go with the proven ones...

HB :D:D:D:D

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I guess it depends on the Hunter fans you buy?
The one I'm under right now is like a mini hurricane :)

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You are right Robert. It depends on the exact fan you buy and you have to test it before you buy it. Of course, it helps to have the blades installed correctly. I was in this house recently...looking to rent it. House had two KDK fans and when I turned them on there was no air. The attorney says to me..."they don't put out much air, nothing wrong with them, they have been like that for years." I said, "If you turned the blades around so that the bend angles down you will get much better results". Smart attorneys, hey.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Okay, I have order for 7 KDK ceiling fans...

I will be trying to get a good price by purchasing 7. Anyone else want to get in on this deal?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
When we moved into our current apartment, I bought 2 Hunters and 3 KDK ceiling fans. I really HATE the KDKs and will never buy another one. I was trying to save some pesos, and it was a mistake.

The KDK's sound like they are moving a ton of air, but it's all just noise. They have 3 blades, and the Hunters have 5. I never hear a Hunter, but cannot sleep with a KDK going, and to me the output breeze feels about the same.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
GringoCArlos said:
When we moved into our current apartment, I bought 2 Hunters and 3 KDK ceiling fans. I really HATE the KDKs and will never buy another one. I was trying to save some pesos, and it was a mistake.

The KDK's sound like they are moving a ton of air, but it's all just noise. They have 3 blades, and the Hunters have 5. I never hear a Hunter, but cannot sleep with a KDK going, and to me the output breeze feels about the same.
Your blades must be turning backwards.
Nothing moves as much air as a KDK, and they last an eternity.
Unquestionably the best value in fans, in the country.
You can easily get 10 years out of a KDK.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
Your blades must be turning backwards.
Nothing moves as much air as a KDK, and they last an eternity.
Unquestionably the best value in fans, in the country.
You can easily get 10 years out of a KDK.
I'm 100% with Mark on this one. No noise, move air and cheap. I have a couple in the bar that are over 10 years old and run 18 hrs. a day. You can find them anywhere for around 2000 RD$