Meat at Playero

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Any body else notice or is it only me ? The meat in this country is bad enough but the meat at Playero Supermercado in Sosua seems to be always bad ! the few times that I have bought meat there it is bad when I thaw it ! Hamburger and Beef especially......they have the Chicken and other meats on the bulk display it sits all day and has that funny "color". Is it just me ?

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
i like the greyish colour the meat has sitting there frozen. it almost looks like soapstone. try barbecueing a rock, it would probably taste better and you would live longer.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go to the German butcher next to the Max Car Wash on the right side heading east. He has the best meat in the area.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
The Other Option

jojo2130 said:
... The meat in this country is bad enough but the meat at Playero Supermercado in Sosua seems to be always bad !
Try this butcher:
10zqo7m.jpg

m'frog

@ SKY:
You are right and were faster....

G

gary short

Or drive up towards Santiago on the hell road from Los Circuelos and buy some BBQ pork ribs sold alongside the road........yum.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
jojo2130 said:
Any body else notice or is it only me ? The meat in this country is bad enough but the meat at Playero Supermercado in Sosua seems to be always bad ! the few times that I have bought meat there it is bad when I thaw it ! Hamburger and Beef especially......they have the Chicken and other meats on the bulk display it sits all day and has that funny "color". Is it just me ?

We have been buying nearly all our meat at the big Playero for years and have never gotten bad meat. Mostly we buy the deboned chicken breasts, pork chops and hamburger and have never gotten meat that was off color or bad.

There are lots of cuts of beef that we don't buy, but I see them almost daily when I pass the meat case. I have never seen any off color or that looked bad.

I know the owners of Playero and have passed to them complaints made on dr1 about their store. They have always been very grateful and if changes were necessary, immediately made them. If you see meat on display that looks bad, you should immediately report it to the office--the glassed in office on the ground floor opposite the first check out station.

We are fussy about our meat, too, and are pleased we have a place to buy meat that is not off color or bad. We know the difference.

(During our early years living in Samana the only place to buy meat was from the farmers' market or little stands that sold meat. No refrigeration, flies by the millions, and a strong smell of blood.)

Last edited:

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Please do pass it on..........but it is really unmistakeable. That Chicken breast might be good early in the morning after it is freshly placed. But they leave it out there all day with just a film of Plastic over top "Sometimes". If you are there in the afternoon it has that greyish color that makes my stomach heave and I fly right past it.
i agree that the meat always looks good. But I buy meat in Sabaneta and I freeze it and thaw it out (As I said Especially Hamburger) and I have no problems. I buy it at Playero and the hamberger always seems to have that BAD Odor after I thaw it so i simply have stopped buying it there.

To the other posters......
Yes , my wife and I have had the privilege of meat from the German Deli near the international school (Cant remember the name) . The Bratwurst is great and the Hot Pepperoni. We have bought the Beef and BBQ'ed it and it was a dream !

I think that we will continue with that. I feel much safer. And i would rather pay a little more and have edible meat that I enjoy !

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Ken,

Try the hamburger meat at Producto Sosua. Ask the guy working in the back for some fresh hamburger meat from the back. I think you will find it better than Playero.