ATV information

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
just curious about the appropriateness of using an ATV for road driving!

Im weighing up what sort of transport i should buy....im really only looking for something to drive around the local area and not particularly for huge distances,but id also like to know if anyone is ;
1/ using or has used an ATV for driving ,for example the distance between cabarete and sosua. Are they fast enough to keep pace with cars. Or are ATV's to remain in the side 'lane'? Is it practical to do this...me thinks 'no' but id like someone's first-hand experience?

who brings the ATV's into the DR (sosua/cabarete/pop area)...sellers/service ect??
cheers

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
ATV is no big deal between Sosua and Caberate. It doesn't seem to be the in thing in that area. But in Las Terranas it seems that everyone has one. I do think you would be inclined to keep it on the right side of right lane. They are very expensive here and for that price you can purchase a small car. However, you can get a decent motorbike for about 45,000 pesos...new.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I still think you could go between Sosua and Caberate okay. I see plenty of broken down pasolas making the journey.

BAMullins

Oct 28, 2004
www.dominicancrossroads.com
I would be more concerned with stability at highway speeds (80kph). They can go that fast, but aren't really designed for quick manuevering on pavement at those speeds. I would stop in and see Richard, just east of Sosua. If you're heaading to Cabarete, take the first dirt road past the Tradewinds entrance. About a half a km in you'll see his shop on the right. No signs, but a few panel vans out front. He has a few quads in stock and a several nice new Honda 125s. Also sells the Regent brand (Chinese Honda knock off).

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Billy... You are assuming that you are not going to have an accident just because you say you will not drive on the highway. Sure, ATVs look macho and it is nice, feeling the breeze in your face, but think for a minute how little physical protection you will have, compared to a small car costing about the same...I want to read your "posts" for many years to come. Regards, Canadian Bob.