Camping in the Dominican Republic

ron2504

May 29, 2006
Does anyone know if you are legally allowed to camp on the beaches, of course not in front of hotels or such but on more deserted sections?

Ron

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It may be legal, but ill advised.
Camping out on a beach is asking for trouble unless you bring your Rottweiler with you.
You will be setting yourself up to be a crime victim.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not to mention the itchy bites of those mi-mis!!!!:p:p:p

No, it's not unheard of, but you have to check you place kinda close..

HB:D:D

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Think about it this way:

In the states or Europe you wouldn't want to camp in a heavily populated area, especially one that had alot of poverty, desperation and homelessness, and where cops generally don't give a crap about what happens to someone dumb enough to want to pretend to be homeless for a night.

That's pretty much this whole Island, so camping is just generally a bad idea.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Tent on a Beach

ron2504 said:
... to camp on the beaches.... on more deserted sections?
Brilliant idea!
Go to the nearest estacionamiento of "marina de guerra", get a permission (that is, pay for something which you do not have to pay for) and hire an armed guard there to patrol round your tent.
Luxury in this world does not come free....

m'frog

Welcome to DR1.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
We camped with a bunch of friends many years ago, in Cambiaso (!!!). Lots of fun, but many mosquitoes...
...Those were the days...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ron2504, the advice about having an armed guard is one you should heed. Put up a camping tent on a beach and there a very good chance the campesinos with machetes will get you before the mosquitos do.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Ken said:
ron2504, the advice about having an armed guard is one you should heed. Put up a camping tent on a beach and there a very good chance the campesinos with machetes will get you before the mosquitos do.

Actually the campesinos are your best allies...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Mirador said:
Actually the campesinos are your best allies...

There is no guarantee. I know people who were robbed by machete carrying men who, from their clothes, appeared to be campesinos coming out of the trees and bushes near Rincon Beach, Playa Grande, and El Limon.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Ken said:
There is no guarantee. I know people who were robbed by machete carrying men who, from their clothes, appeared to be campesinos coming out of the trees and bushes near Rincon Beach, Playa Grande, and El Limon.

Ken, your friends were not robbed by campesinos, they were robbed by ill-dressed marauders carying machetes. Something the campesinos living nearby could have told them, and be on the lookout for. By the way, campesinos almost always carry machetes, a basic agricultural tool, except in town, where carying a machete is prohibited. I suggest when camping out, always befriend the nearby campesinos, you will find them always hospitable. And most importantly, they can be of great service in providing information and assistance relevant to the place. I'm sure they will be most happy to prepare a meal for your party (if you provide them with the ingredients for a meal), even offer a family member as guide/lifeguard for you and your children. I've camped extensively in the DR, and all I've lost was my hat, once.

ron2504

May 29, 2006
Camping

My idea was to travel via sea kayak along the coast of Parque Nacional del Este. I have heard that there are beaches there that can only be reached by boat. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does this area have a problem with thieves as well?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Mirador, you may be right. I know that my own experiences with true campesinos have always been good.,

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ron2504 said:
My idea was to travel via sea kayak along the coast of Parque Nacional del Este. I have heard that there are beaches there that can only be reached by boat. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does this area have a problem with thieves as well?

It is very likely there are a lot of squatters living in that National Park, just as there are in the Los Haitisis national park. It is also likely that among those people are at least a few who would not pass up the opportunity to relieve you of your possessions.