Artificial Wood? Outdoor Use?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
I'm beginning the process of constructing a very large wooden deck on the rear or ocean side of my home. After waiting 5 years for a titulo! You read that correctly. 5 years! I know next to nothing @ wooden decks nor constrution; I bought 2 books in the USA from 2 huge hardware stores.
My questions; both books recomend artificcial wood, usually made from plastic, garbage, or recycled ? Most lumber yards in the USA sell it. It's supposed to last longer, be superior in appearance, & require less maintenance than real wood. I notice that much outdoor furniture in the DR appears t/b manufactured from plastic, or artificial ? More specificly,

* Do any hardware store, mills, factories, or lumberyards in the DR sell artifical wood? Madera composita? Which? Prices compared to organic wood?

* Has any DR1 poster had feet on, live in experiences using madera composita for outdoor uses? Examples? Flooring on decks? Experiences? Positive? Negative? Suggestions?

* Possible to import artificial wood from the USA? Worth the additional costs, bribes, hassles, & delays? Customs? Realsitic? Economical?
Thank you.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hi! Why not build a concrete deck and top it with attractive NON SLIP tile of your choice, with a tiny slope away from the house.
This will never need any upkeep (other than hosing it off now & then).
I just completed one, about 40ft square and it looks super! We love it. Canadian Bob.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Aesthetics. Wood vs. concrete, block?

In response to the suggetion & comments of Canadian Bob:

* I find that block & concrete, esp. in white, appear cold, harsh, large, colorless; esp. in very large structures.
* I spent most of my life in New Enland, a smattering in California. Natural wood is used widely in these areas for nearly everything, except commercial buildings. I find that wood gives me a warm, 'homey', welcome feeling. Much more 'inrimate' - for lack of a better adjective - than concrete. My 2nd choice? Brick, for most of the same reasons.
* Tile? OK for decoration. Perhaps, I did not see much of it in my formative years? Perhaps because unpainted wood is mostly different & very pleasinng shades of brown; which I consider a 'warm' color.
* Expensive tastes! I realize that wood is much more expensive in the DR than concrete. I'm not sure why? The country seems to be full of trees, some very old & very large. Weighing the alternatives, I want 'my' wood & reluctantly am willing to pay for it.
Bob, than you for the helpful comments. I hope that 1 day you'll visit my deck; I'd like to visit your's.

Jan 5, 2006
I have not seen composite wood products in any of the large hardware stores in Santo Domingo or Santiago, so I doubt that it is widely available, if at all. In that case, your best bet would be to import it from the US using a door to door shipping company. Also keep in mind that you'll have to import the fasterners (brackets, rustproof screws), as manufactures recommend fastening the material from the bottom for aesthetic purposes.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Termites are EVERYWHERE here. If you insist on wood, use pressure treated stuff. Artificial wood will have to be imported as it is not made in the DR, so it will be very expensive. If you do decide on concrete, be sure to include the cost of "re-Bar" (to prevent cracking or movement) Use a reliable contractor.... Get several quotes...I recommend Eriberito Polanco, of EYO Construction.SA, Cel phone 1-809-696-8849. He is honest & very reliable. Concrete is easy to (permanently) colour. Tile is available in many colours & patterns. Keep in touch (PM). Canadian Bob.

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
the artificial wood product is made from used tires. its really neat stuff, it can be heated up with an industrial heater(looks like a hair dryer). it can follow arcs if you have a rounded entry. the railing pieces the same. it is fastened from below with a stainless steel rightangle track that also fastens to the joist. very expensive but pretty cool stuff. it comes in a dozen colours. i doubt you will find any in the DR. i'm really surprized that there isn't a home show in the DR to showcase this new stuff. iv'e seen some pretty swanky pads there so its not all barrios and hatian refugee camps. i can't see there not being a market for the latest home building products.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
STAIN ? ? ? Available in DR? Where?

Same large wood deck - 160 SF - different problem! 50% complete. All the concrete work is nearly done. Columns, viga, much rebar; so far, so good. * * But, . . . why is there always a 'but' in DR life?
* I want to stain, not paint, all of the wood in the deck; I have discovered, hopefully not too late [?], that stain is not a popular wood covering nor treatment in the DR. Usually, in the DR paint is used to protect wooden & cement surfaces.
* The particular shade of stain I want is readily availabe in the USA & usually termed "Nantucket grey"; a very pretty color, widely used in New England, to create a weathered, textured, grainy look in the wood.
* Gettinng to the point: Hardware & paint stores in POP, where I live, don't carry nor sell wood stain. Period! Has any one purchsed wood stain from any larger hardware or paint store, probably in Santiago or Santo Domingo? Sosua, perhaps?
* Advice & guidance needed. Suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Hurry And Take Some Fotos Of Your Deck Once It Is Finished!

Unless you built it of "Imported" pressure treated lumber,or Dominican "Caoba", the termites are "Washing-Up" for dinner right now!!
I don't believe I have ever seen anything made or wood in the DR that the termites didn't eat! Except "Wood" from "Palm Trees" that is!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look: Go to Ochoa. Buy your lumber "tratado y secado" it might take a couple of weeks to get but it is 30 years protected. In the states they call it "Womanized" (Pronounced whoa man ized)...

If you need help building this deck, I can certainly do it with the help of some of my friends here in Santiago. We are accomplished carpenters, and have done similar projects here and in the states. We work for good food, cigars, coffee.....no alcohol....

Lemme know, huh?

HB :D:D