Strong price inflation ??

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
I intended to say that since the recent elections, there would be a strong inflation on the products related to construction (concrete, brick). Is this true?
That could be a bad news for all the real estate profession I think, no ?

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
I guess it is true, just got a call from my builder saying they may postpone one of my construction a little to wait until the price stabilizes. Also, some residencial community raised their price by $15K per villa like Casa Linda did in the last few days. Apparently price of cement and blocks have gone up tremendously. Any locals involved in construction that can confirm please.

Thanks.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Anybody else experiencing the inflation? I had a new contruction scheduled to start within 1 month. It just got bumped by $25K extra because of inflation. I decided not to continue. I have another one about 1/3 way into construction, that one I'm protected by the contract with fixed prices but I'm worried about any construction versus resale values in the near future.

Anybody else or am I being taken for a ride. This is my third construction with the same builder in the last year, so please spare me the newbie stuff.

Thanks.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Just before the elections were held, the price of cement was at RD$85 a bag. Shortly after the elections were finished, they announced the new price would be RD$150 for the same bag.

After a few days of back and forth, they settled at RD$125 a bag. That adds up fast. Block prices were raised at similar levels.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You see it on food as well. Everything from basics, as salsa de tomato to chocolate to chicken is up a few pesos.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Wow, that's a 50% increase. I guess all construction costs will go up significantly. I certainly hope real estate prices will reflect that, otherwise a lot of people building will be in a bind. I guess we'll see more and more of those unfinished construction or delayed construction sites.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Carina,

Sorry for my ignorance, I am more a visitor than a resident but is this common for post-election? Does the inflation usually stops and comes back to pre-election prices or will those new prices on food and other goods stay the way they are? Just curious, it won't stop me from getting my usual 4-5 times a year does of dominican sunshine.

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
I've heard yesterday that the prices had tended to go down for a few days. Is it true ?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I am not sure why, but the prices are up. At first ( after when Fernandez was elected ) the basics went down a little. Now, the last week, I have notices all is raised, even basics. So it is not on imported products, or luxury products only. It´s over all. I have noticed it on Casa Nelson, the department store in POP as well, schampoon etc is also up 2-3 pesos each.
Sounds a little, but counting together, it is alot for many families.