return ticket necessary?

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
I don't know if this is in the right forum or not, but here goes.... My family and I are moving to the D.R. in July. My wife, who is Domincan, does not need a return trip ticket. According to Delta's web site, kids traveling with parents and the parents are Dominican nationals don't need a return trip ticket. My wife is but I am not. Would my kids be allowed to enter with a one-way ticket only? Accordingly, I would need a return trip ticket. However I was wondering if this is something that is really enforced? Would my kids and/or myself need a return trip? Just wondering what kind of experiences some of you have had. Thanks

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
But an occasional overzealous airline employee may deny you boarding your flight to the DR, in which case they have been know to require you to buy a return ticket before boarding.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You have a good chance of making it since you are married to a Dominican and are moving here to live. Do you have an documentation to show what your intentions are, something that would help support your claim that you are moving to live?

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
Maybe a problem

We did get questioned by Continental Airlines when we tried to fly in on a one way ticket. We did not have our residency at the time but we did have a letter explaining we had applied for it. This seemed to be enough and they let us travel.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have been denied boarding a plane because I did not have a return ticket, both times by American Airlines check-in counter. In both instances I had to purchase another ticket. This happened to me twice but now I have my residency.

Your situation might be different since you are travelling with a Dominican but these people didnt' look like they were ready to negotiate about this.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
American seems to be the only one who might give you a problem. Are you flying AA?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
From what you say Delta details, the kids wont need the return ticket, but you are required to have your return ticket. Only having your residency would exempt you from that.

Take a chance. Get to the airport early. In advance, buy a two-way refundable ticket and use the second half if necessary. Or check into what would it cost to buy a refundable ticket to Port-au-Prince or some other close Caribbean destination (not Puerto Rico -- the most expensive). If it is not required, then you just request your refund.

Sometimes airline employees are flexible, other times not. Get there early, just in case you need the extra time.

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
I am flying AA. I kinda figured I would have to buy a round trip but I am hoping to only have to buy the kids a one-way. I like the idea of buying a refundable 2nd leg to somewhere like PAP and then get a refund. I think I will take the chance with the kids though and only buy a one-way. Thanks everyone.