Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default bank account Fraud,Banco del Progresso

Opened an account with Banco del Progresso Feb. 2001 and everything was ok till about year or two ago. NOW they have discontinued my account.
    In Spanish they reply with the english equivalent of " i am not a member of the bank, do not have an account !!! which is
    "Usuario no es cliente del banco."By now my account balance should have been larger than ever which including all interest deposits more
    than $18,000. I last made a withdrawel there Jan 2004. They ignore all requests. Even the same person who emailed me in 2001 giving my balance now
    ignores. It is not a matter of dormant account as have periodic deposits.
    I give detailed as anyone could of all personal info. etc. and either they ignore or the reply is "Usuario no es cliente del banco." Anyone know
    of government agency to handle such fraud? There are none in USA as already tried- they only handle us affiliated banks.
    Is there any agency in Dom. rep that can help and what is their email?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

From when is your last bank statement?

Best to take that and go see a lawyer. Be very careful which lawyer you choose.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

First, don't panic. It isn't a fraud. Exactly the same happened to me a while back. Only I don't keep $18,000 in a DR bank - only $500 & I was prepared to let it go. Didn't have to though, after a personal visit. I take it the responses you're getting are via online banking, because I got the same. I think you'll find it is a dormant account. Periodic deposits of interest by the bank itself are insufficient to prevent the account from going dormant. Yes........I know, but it's the way things are. You have to make a personal visit. Easy for me, I live here. If you don't, well maybe sort it on your next visit? I don't know if they would take someone doing it on your behalf or not. All I did was to pop in, make a joke about Pedro Castillo's ski lodge being up for sale in Colorado & voila, I got some attention. Then I reactivated the account. As soon as I got home I found I could get into online banking again. None of the interest deposits had been lost (piffling amounts though they were on US$500), but they don't enter them until you reactivate. And it doesn't cost anything to reactivate, just some time.
    I'm told you have posted this elsewhere in other Forums. I don't have time to copy my response to wherever else you've put it, but maybe some other kind soul could alert you to this one? Just didn't want you panicking unnecessarily. Nor starting a run on a bank where I believe the new directors are trying to do it right by putting their own money in, which they did a while back.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default per lambada about bank acct. banco del progresso

I can assure you it is not dormant account. The interest payments are NOT from the bank but from a local commercial paper accounts thru financeiras or something like that for $600/month. Also even so a bank account should not become dormant that soon . My last personal visit there was just a little over 2 years ago. Dormant accounts are supposed to be atleast 5 years. Have an important question for you. Was your bank account - the one you quoted in your reply with BAnco Del Progresso or a different bank? thanks

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmth
    Have an important question for you. Was your bank account - the one you quoted in your reply with BAnco Del Progresso or a different bank? thanks
    Have an important answer for you. Yes my account is with Progreso. That's the only reason I answered your question. I had EXACTLY the same experience, same messages on online banking etc as you did with the same bank. Accounts go dormant in 6 months with no deposit or withdrawal. Whoever told you 5 years? Incorrect. And how do you know it isn't dormant if you can't access it? Did your financieros put the $600 in each month? Have you proof? I'd start with them, if I were you. Once you know for sure they deposited your funds and you have seen the stamped deposit slip, THEN would be the time to begin thinking of blaming the bank. But if the account IS inactive the financieros won't be able to deposit UNTIL it is reactivated.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada
    Once you know for sure they deposited your funds and you have seen the stamped deposit slip, .
    What if they didn't deposit the funds?, then what? Who are these financieros he talks about? This sounds quite scary.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Onions&carrots
    What if they didn't deposit the funds?, then what? Who are these financieros he talks about? This sounds quite scary.
    Well if they didn't I guess he/she would have to go after the financieros, not the bank. But if it were you, O&C, wouldn't you have been checking that the deposits were made from the first month onwards? Not waiting 2 years or whatever the length of time is? Maybe the OP had a protracted stay in hospital or was posted overseas in the military or otherwise prevented from following this through.................?

Post Thanks / Like

All the banks in the DR do this ,if you do not withdraw funds within a certain time ,i think is three to six months,they dormant that account,even if deposits are entering that account on a monthly basis. I was told it was a way of detering laundering money and just leaving it.You also have to reactivate it in person!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Are we all talking about the same thing here. The OP says his original deposit of 18,000 and monthly interest of 600 was in "$". I find it hard to believe that if it were is US$ he would have let it go for so long without checking his balance. Are we sure he isn't talking about RD$ (pesos)?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

I'm a little confused about this situation.

If an account goes "dormant", does that mean the 18,000$ is gone? Or does that mean that he has to fly out to the DR in person and reopen the account? I get the impression the money has been stolen or disappeared.

If the OP reactivates the account will he then have access to his money?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast