leaving with US dollars

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
I have read some of the post in archives about leaving with dollars, and have not found the answer i was looking for.

Is there a limit on how many dollars I can take out of the country in cash at one time. I know about the US declaration on the other side, I just worry about the x ray screener here in santo domingo.

I don't want to wire transfer I want to take out cash.

Thanks

Jan 5, 2006
As far as I know, there is no limit, but $10,000 is the magic number for declarations purposes. However, keep in mind that you can be questioned about the origin of any amount of money that you may be carrying.

Jan 5, 2006
You are also obligated to declare your currency and its origin before leaving DR, at which point you will undoubtedly be questioned by DNCD agents.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Be creative.....AMEX Travelers cheques are not picked up by the money dogs.

Jan 5, 2006
You can be creative, but if you get stopped and questioned, currency is currency, whether it's cash, travelers checks, certified checks, money orders, etc. If your currency has been legitimately obtained, you have no reason not to declare it.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
AMEX cheques,,, are they sold at DR banks?
what is the fee for getting a AMEX traveler check?
any other fee involve?

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
few important things to take note of. american currency has markings inside the bills of larger denominations such that during the airport screening they can tell EXACLTY how many large bills you have. upon re-enterring the US they ask you to declare your funds. They could screen you and find large sums of large denomination bills at this point also. Generally over 10k you can be spotted pretty easily.if the moneys is legitimate just get a bank check from the bank down there and deposit it here in the US. it will only be 1 piece of paper.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Beads said:
few important things to take note of. american currency has markings inside the bills of larger denominations such that during the airport screening they can tell EXACLTY how many large bills you have. upon re-enterring the US they ask you to declare your funds. They could screen you and find large sums of large denomination bills at this point also. Generally over 10k you can be spotted pretty easily.if the moneys is legitimate just get a bank check from the bank down there and deposit it here in the US. it will only be 1 piece of paper.

I agree and I have heard of people here who have left with much larger checks from Cambio's Etc.
In the sock in there shoe for example...............very creative and it works.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Montessorian said:
The person who has changed personal checks for us in the past, is issuing a bank check for the amount drawn off a us bank. This way I can "cash" the check with out depositing it .
Be careful, I've heard reports of fake bank checks.

Also, I'm sure you are aware that if you cash any check in the US over a certain amount, they will ask for a Social Security number and report it to the IRS.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
US Banking Regs

$10000.00 or above in cash withdrawn/cashed checks or deposited during one business day will generate a need for that report in the US.

JD