green card / canada

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
can anyone tell me if a dominican citizen with a Green Card for USA were to marry in canada a canadian permanent resident, would that same dominican lose his/her status in usa i.e. her green card? thanks in advance!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Where would they live?

Jasper said:
can anyone tell me if a dominican citizen with a Green Card for USA were to marry in canada a canadian permanent resident, would that same dominican lose his/her status in usa i.e. her green card? thanks in advance!

Where they are living would be the difference, If the dominican would move to Canada from the US, then yes they probably would loose the US residency!. Residency can always be revolked, as it is a privilage not a right. If your not living there, then you loose it.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
As Bienamor alluded to, I believe one of the requirements to maintain a residency card (aka Green card), is residency in the US.

Here's some info found on the USCIS website.

Maintaining Permanent Residence

You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

• Move to another country intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.
  • Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.
  • Declare yourself a ?nonimmigrant? on your tax returns.