I think they're is a new scam going on in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Been going there for over 14 years, nothing ever changes. One thing that did puzzle me the last time I was there, and believe me I streetsmart which you have to be to survive. At the shark bar who Lou is a good friend of mine. There was a fight, three foreigners tours, fighting with one Dominican, and the Dominican did start the fight. No sooner than the fight started the police was there. Now I've been going there for many years police never show up that quick. Now what happened all went to the jail and the three tours had to pay I believe 5000 pesos apiece and the Dominican 30 pesos to get out of jail. Also I heard a few other stories from friends with similar situations. And even myself I had a few Dominicans trying to start trouble with me. But knowing the situation and what happens that everyone goes to jail and the people with the money, meeting tours pay the big money. Like I said I've going there for 14 years, had my pockets picked many times but never had people actually trying to start a fight with me. Wondering if this is a new scam with the police. First-time posting really enjoy everybody's stories about the Dominican Republic and of course all the advice they are giving.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Obviously a scam. The fine for public fighting is supposedly RD$5.25!!

HB :D:D

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
SURFUP69 said:
Been going there for over 14 years, nothing ever changes. One thing that did puzzle me the last time I was there, and believe me I streetsmart which you have to be to survive. At the shark bar who Lou is a good friend of mine. There was a fight, three foreigners tours, fighting with one Dominican, and the Dominican did start the fight. No sooner than the fight started the police was there. Now I've been going there for many years police never show up that quick. Now what happened all went to the jail and the three tours had to pay I believe 5000 pesos apiece and the Dominican 30 pesos to get out of jail. Also I heard a few other stories from friends with similar situations. And even myself I had a few Dominicans trying to start trouble with me. But knowing the situation and what happens that everyone goes to jail and the people with the money, meeting tours pay the big money. Like I said I've going there for 14 years, had my pockets picked many times but never had people actually trying to start a fight with me. Wondering if this is a new scam with the police. First-time posting really enjoy everybody's stories about the Dominican Republic and of course all the advice they are giving.

It sounds suspicious, hopefully something can be done so it can be stopped before people get hurt.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Make sure you beat up the guy good so he will be unable to pick another fight with anyone else any time soon. Make him earn his money.
AZB

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Sosua

You have to remember that foreigners are a huge target in Sosua for a lot of people in one capacity or another. Whether it is pickpockets, burglaries/robberies, being a target of some scam as you mentioned or simply being overcharged by local vendors, if you are a gringo, you have to be careful and be aware of your surroundings.

This is why I prefer to live anywhere other than the north coast. I enjoy visiting very much but could not live there.

Larry

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Conchman said:
"meeting tours pay the big money"

what does that mean?
Typo, he meant to say "...meaning tourists pay more money".

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
AZB said:
Make sure you beat up the guy good so he will be unable to pick another fight with anyone else any time soon. Make him earn his money.
AZB

:cheeky: :cheeky:

For 5k pesos we're talking at LEAST a broken nose!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
twist his neck so he ends up in my office later, then I do the rest for money.
AZB

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
sounds like a good scam.police are always around on the strip in Sosua thought cant go very far without seeing one or 2 of them wandering around.also all these bars have security. if a dominican comes up to you and presents a problem just tell the owner or security guy. in February we had a dominican guy trying to buddy up with a friend of mine in SeaCrets. He was drunk and left approx 2000 pesos in various bills on the bar. anyhow this guy keeps coming over to hang out. all i did was mention it to security and they threw him right out.without the tourists spending pesos Sosua would be a ghost town.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To clarify..

The actual situation was not as it seems.
It was a private problem from Lou's ex, who unfortunately is a little off the deep end, and she was the instigator.
Pardon me for not clearing this up before, but as there was some legal wrangling still going on, I felt it better to not go into details.
Suffice to say that Lou is a good guy, and the attack was unprovoked.
Most of the legalities have been resolved now, and if Lou chooses to go into greater detail at a later date, that will be his choice.
It's hard enough to get a good small business going in Sosua, without this type of stumbling block, but such is life in the DR.
The long & short of it, although initially it may have appeared differently, there was no police scam.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Rocky said:
The actual situation was not as it seems.
It was a private problem from Lou's ex, who unfortunately is a little off the deep end, and she was the instigator.
Pardon me for not clearing this up before, but as there was some legal wrangling still going on, I felt it better to not go into details.
Suffice to say that Lou is a good guy, and the attack was unprovoked.
Most of the legalities have been resolved now, and if Lou chooses to go into greater detail at a later date, that will be his choice.
It's hard enough to get a good small business going in Sosua, without this type of stumbling block, but such is life in the DR.
The long & short of it, although initially it may have appeared differently, there was no police scam.
Rocky, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm a bit surpised the OP didn't just ask Lou about the incident, after all, the OP said
SURFUP69 said:
At the shark bar who Lou is a good friend of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.