Protest at Cabarete Police Station yesterday

Gumby

Aug 3, 2005
Does anyone have any information on why there was a large group of people protesting in front of the Cabarete police station yesterday?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Shhhhh!

Gumby said:
Does anyone have any information on why there was a large group of people protesting in front of the Cabarete police station yesterday?

Do you really want to know? It may scare away the tourist. I'm sure any motoconcho driver, colmado/bar tender will give you the details. By the way, the comandante and officers on duty the day before yesterday are all under arrest, or at least under investigation...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Mirador said:
Do you really want to know? It may scare away the tourist. I'm sure any motoconcho driver, colmado/bar tender will give you the details. By the way, the comandante and officers on duty the day before yesterday are all under arrest, or at least under investigation...

They should all be put in with the population at la Victoria and given the same treatment every twice a day, every day untill they start enjoying it.

Mar 21, 2002
Mirador said:

Censoring the news on DR1. WOW, so is this the dominican version of BIG BROTHER. Spill the beans. You don't build credibility by only showing the bright side of things.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mirador said:

C'mon, Mirador, as you seem to be the only person with inside info, fill us in, please.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rocky said:
C'mon, Mirador, as you seem to be the only person with inside info, fill us in, please.

It was on the news, two or three days ago. Santiago TV news anchorman Jos? Gutierrez was interviewing a woman, who said that her son had been picked up the previous day by two Caberete police officers on a motorbike and taken to the police station, where he was raped in full view of the police officers. She said her son was threatened and was afraid to make an accusation himself. The media attention must have provoked the protest and the ensuing police investigation.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
ok thats bad but nothing like what I was expecting or thinking! at least I can sleep tonight though no knowing the answer!

Mar 21, 2002
Beads said:
ok thats bad but nothing like what I was expecting or thinking! at least I can sleep tonight though no knowing the answer!

LOL, that's true. I thought it was the beginning of another civil war ala 65. WOW, I thought my sources were failing me.

Thanks Mira for spilling the beans. Now I know you can't keep a secret. Hehehe, just kidding.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Mirador said:
It was on the news, two or three days ago. Santiago TV news anchorman Jos? Gutierrez was interviewing a woman, who said that her son had been picked up the previous day by two Caberete police officers on a motorbike and taken to the police station, where he was raped in full view of the police officers. She said her son was threatened and was afraid to make an accusation himself. The media attention must have provoked the protest and the ensuing police investigation.
Possibly one police officer would have been aware of what was going on. As a preventive measure, I was told that all the men on duty that evening were transfered to another location pending investigation. BTW, it appears that the people in the newly assigned area were not happy about the transfer. The victim was allegedly raped by another inmate. The rest of the story will be made public following investigation.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
i thought the cops raped him. now its an inmate in the jail and they i guess watched and did nothing about it. those cops should be fired at least.

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
protest at police

99% of the police in dr are totally incompetent what a disgrace:chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: ;) :pirate: :pirate:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
mikey007 said:
99% of the police in dr are totally incompetent what a disgrace:chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: ;) :pirate: :pirate:
Totally the wrong attitude mikey007!

99% of the police ARE badly trained, badly supervised & SERIOUSLY underpaid! Anything which you with your superior knowledge of how to fight deliquency down here with insufficient tools & proper training would be greatly appreciated. Can I introduce you to the local Comandante in Puerto Plata next time you are here - I am sure he & the 'incompetent disgrace' police would be pleased to learn from you!

Try to be a little understanding PLEASE. The police (generally) can only attract youngsters who have no proper schooling & can not survive on the streets with normal street smarts. Agreed this is a poor situation & the solution is to give full & proper training, but IS the DR capable of paying for that training yet? There are so many 'OTHER' areas of poor training to overcome, look at the schooling & public medical facilities here!

I won't try to speak for HB, Chiri, AZB or all the other long term residents but I personally feel the level of policing HAS gone up in the last 8 years & there are certainly a lot more police being removed from their self-determined exhalted positions than there ever used to be. ~ GWB

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
BushBaby said:
The police (generally) can only attract youngsters who have no proper schooling & can not survive on the streets with normal street smarts.

Thats called incompetent!

I am robbed at night in my own house at gunpoint by a cop. How much understanding do you want from me?
I have a very good friend in Santiago, Dominican, who gave me one advise: Stay away from the police! Doesnt matter in what way, you never need them that much that you need contact with them. I stick to that one.