Dominican Pop in Baltimore Area

Apr 26, 2002
Doing a long-term project in the Baltimore area. The Latino areas are dominated by Mexicans and Salvadorans. Anyone know where the mangu-eaters might be?

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Tordok where are you to answer this question?

I know there is a street where folks live/hang. But I just can't recall it. My suggestion is to find a Dominican Salon or el consulado and ask somebody. Else start listening to the radio stations, go to the clubs and talk to folks. I know there are a few there, it's definitely a growing community. There is also a Dominican community org there as well.

Towson is near by and I know has one or two families. I know there is a spot.

Here is a blip I got from a article of latinos in B-more:

Inside a quaint two-story rowhouse in the Eastview Heights neighborhood in eastern Baltimore County, Ernestina Perez bustles about her kitchen as her brother and son watch Telemundo in the living room.

Perez steps outside and points to a garden in her back yard, off a quiet street near Eastern Avenue.

"Me gusta la casa," says Perez, a native Honduran who became a homeowner in October. The translation: "I like the house."

She speaks very little English, but added: "I like it here."

Perez, 41, and her relatives are among hundreds of Spanish-speaking families that have chosen to live in eastern Baltimore County in recent years, according to local activists and U.S. Census data. Many live in communities such as Essex, Dundalk and Eastview Heights, which is just outside Baltimore City near Eastpoint Mall.