Que Viva El Merengue

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Mannnnnnnnnnn that was nice!!!!!!!!!

Te dire una cosa. I was watching this and got a little nervous cause I didn't see our queen of merengue Milly but she appears towards the end. I was going to disqualify the entire video if she didn't show up there.

VERY NICE!!!

Made my Saturday night (it's raining cats and dogs here in NY and I'm stuck home)

Thanks for sharing.

May 31, 2005
You are welcome. I am stuck at home today as well. I am just browsing the net and decided to share it. I love the video. You are right about Millie. She is the queen of merengue. Que nadie me hable de Olga Tañon por favor. :)

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
A wonderful tribute-

That was a lovely tribute to merengue but it also reminded me how merengue has changed over the past decade. Notice how mostly everyone in video can be called 'old school' merengueros now because commercial merengue has taken over the market outside of the DR. I still prefer the old school era until the newer style merengue artists emerge with true talent and longevity.

The street style merengue seems to be preferred over the more traditional rhythms of Juan Luis Guerra, Sergio Vargas, Rubby P?rez and a few others. Los Hermanos Rosario have a 25 yrs+ career although the original band has dismantled due to unforeseen circumstances. I still think they have a brand of merengue that can't be copied. Rafa has charisma and seeing them live (and I have) is a treat. Fernando Villalona is getting up there in years too. Time flies!

I was surprised that Chich? Peralta was not in the video. He certainly should have been because he represents a folkloric brand that is very unique to the DR and a few others come to mind. When all is said and done merengue is a rhythm in transition, whether that's good or bad, I don't know. However, it guarantees the survival of the genre while some authenticity is lost but it remains a rhythm that has high regard in my choices of music- que viva el merengue indeed!

BTW- there's no comparison between Millie Quezada and Olga Ta?on. I think that goes without saying.

-LDG.

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
La creme de la creme du merengue. That was beautiful, gave me a warm feeling to see how many great merengueros the DR has. I don't know if what 's his name should be there, el Jefrey but when I saw him I thought he was out of place, i could be wrong but isn't he a bachatero?
And there are some idiots who say the merengue is disappearing, it couldn't disappear, its beautiful, its fun and many people not only Dominicans love to dance to it. Merenguera hasta la tambora! I tried to pick a favorite of mine but it was hard, but there is something about Ruby Perez that makes him number 1 in my list.
QUE VIVA EL MERENGUE INDEED.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Regarding El Jeffrey-

I agree with you when I saw El Jeffrey in the video my first reaction was he should not be there because he is too new and does not have the repertoire and prestige that the others have to say the very least. He's a merenguero who came onto the scene strong in 2004 with a good album after years without one but he has been quiet ever since. That's what I mean by true talent and longevity. It seems to me that the newer merengueros are just one album sensations but don't have the talent and scope that some of their forerunners have which has made them so successful.

I have to agree with you Rubby Pérez is a long time favorite of mine. All his albums in this decade have been super. Especially the album titled Volando alto however, I also like Los Hnos. Rosario, their rhythm is very unique. I also enjoy merengue from Sergio Vargas, F. Villalona and a few others.

When people say merengue is dying, I prefer to say it is a genre in transition because the greats that we have seen in the video are getting older and have been entertaining their followers for so long. Since commercialized forms of any type of music sell first before quality this is why Dominican merengueros have lost their foothold in the market. The talent is there, the marketability is not.

-LDG.

Last edited:
May 31, 2005
M.A.R. said:
La creme de la creme du merengue. That was beautiful, gave me a warm feeling to see how many great merengueros the DR has. I don't know if what 's his name should be there, el Jefrey but when I saw him I thought he was out of place, i could be wrong but isn't he a bachatero?
QUE VIVA EL MERENGUE INDEED.

El Jeffrey is not a bachatero. He is new compared to the other singers. I believe that he was in the video because his style of merengue reminds me of the more traditional merengueros like Fernandito, Los Rosarios, and Ruby Perez among others.

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
El Jeffrey is not new to merengue.

He used to be one of the front men for an old school merengue grop called La Artilleria. I don't know if any of you recall that group. El Jeffrey is from Los Salados in Santiago. That's the barrio next to the one where I grew up.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
El Tigre-

When I say "new" I mean with real marketable presence. Yes, prior to his album in 2004 I have one from him from the 90's. It's okay but not great. My point being that he does not have the career history and success that all the others have in the video. However, I agree with Dragonfly his sound today is closer to old school merengue as compared to groups like Amarfis just to mention one group as a comparison.

-LDG.

Last edited:
May 31, 2005
Exactly Lesley. That is what I meant by new. He is new compared to most of the other artists like Ramon Orlando and Juan Luis Guerra.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Dragonfly-

We are on the same page for sure the new El Jeffrey maybe an upcoming merenguero of the future one that can represent the traditional style somewhat if he continues but the video IMO represents tradition, artists that have made Dominican merengue a genre to remember and reminisce about. El Jeffrey needs to continue to learn from them and it would be nice to know that he would continue with the old school style because street merengue is getting to be too common place now along with the bore- you- to death one rhythm beat Elvis Crespo style merengue.

It's interesting you mention Ramón Orlando, I have never managed to really get into his music although I know he has some nice pieces in his repertoire. The only album of his that I really enjoy and stands out is "Te compro tu novia". It is just a complete package, even with a nice ballad included. As well, another artist that I think should have been in the video is Jossie Esteban. That's my kind of merengue! You can listen to it or dance to it. Talking about versatility. He has been quiet too for the past 2-3 years but I am sure he'll be back.

All this talk about old school merengue makes me want to listen to some oldies.... so many to choose from.

Who is your all time favorite merengue artist? I don't think I have ever asked you although we have exchanged posts about music in the past.

-LDG.

Last edited:
May 31, 2005
I love Te Compro Tu Novia. I tried to look it up in my collection but I mostly have his live music. My favorite merengue artist is hard to say. I can give you four. Fernandito Villalona, Juan Luis Guerra, Toño Rosario, and Peña Suazo. I haven't been exposed to too much music older than that.

I played Celia by Jossie Esteban and it is true what you said. It makes you want to get up and dance. Wilfrido Vargas does that too. I cannot forget about Johnny Ventura. He always makes me want to get up and dance. I have the DVD of that last concert that he gave in NYC and it puts me in a good mood everytime I see it.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
There are many good Dominican merengueros-

You have good taste. Your fab four are good choices the only one I would take out is Peña Suazo. I liked him at the beginning. His second and third album in particular and then his sound became repetitive IMO. As well his merengue got faster and that's a definite no in my book of tastes for merengue. For some reason I am not too fond of Johnny Ventura or Wilfrido Vargas although they do have some good hits which I will enjoy without a doubt.

If I had to choose a few favorites mine would be:

1/Rubby Pérez- I will never outgrow merengue romántico. As well he has a few apambichao style merengues that I think are classic.
2/Toño Rosario- for sure. I really have enjoyed his career and some of his older songs are classics. For example Me olvidé de vivir, Jenny, Seguiré etc.
3/Jossie Esteban- unique artist. Also his merengue is coined as "golpeíto". Not too many artists can imitate Jossie Esteban.
4/ Los Hnos. Rosario- Their music with and without Toño is great. One of my favorite albums of theirs is Los dueños del swing and the song "La cleptómana". I will never forget when I saw them live that was their opening song. Everyone was on the floor.
5/ Héctor Acosta- no need to elaborate on his contribution to Los Toros Band. I can't wait to sample his new album as a solo artist.

There are others too but the ones I mentioned really stand out in my collection.

-LDG.

Last edited:
May 31, 2005
Thanks. Its funny that you mention El Torito because I absolutely love his bachatas. Not to get off topic here but he is a complete artist in my opinion. Los Hermanos Rosarios are loved by me as well. Everyone in that family is an artist. Rafa's son is in the business now. I think he is the one that sings La Camisa Negra from Juanes in merengue. I also like Alex Bueno's old songs like Amor Divino and Que Cara Mas Bonita from his cd Los A?os Dorados. My brother also found this really old song by Fernandito Villalona. I need to ask him what the name of the song is. It is really old from when he first started singing. He was about 15 or 16 years old.

Jan 5, 2006
Lesley, since you mentioned Ramon Orlando, I will recommend two albums that are a must listen:

Ring Ring - Has beautiful, romantic songs
El Hijo De La Mazurca - A double album showing the versatility of R.O.

IMO, one of the best musical talents ever from DR.

Jan 5, 2006
In reference to "Que Viva El Merengue"; the entire production by Jatnna Tavarez leading up to that video was great. I don't know if all of you had the chance to watch it week after week, but it was great tv.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Re: album suggestions-

Hipócrito M- Thanks. I will keep those in mind if I come across some of his music. I do have another album of his. The name just slips my mind right now.

Dragonfly- El Torito is a good bachatero too. I fully agree. He has such a fabulous repertoire and reputation all proof of his exceptional talent. As for Alex Bueno I like him too as a merenguero, bachatero and for bolero. He is very versatile and his merengue is traditional style. I have an album called "Sólo merengue" and it's a compilation of his best merengues on one album. What a treat. Fernando V has some nice music as well. My favorite is his comeback album of 1996- "Soy un hombre feliz".

-LDG.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I've never been a great fan of Wilfrido Vargas, except when Eddy Herrera and Ruby Perez were with him and had those great hits, el jardinero, volvere o ma god y para que no me olvides, just beautiful.

Guys I'm just listening to "Fosforera", by el Torito I guess his beginnings with Los Toros Band, I just love the fast beat of this song, reminds me of clubing years. :)

Eighty's merengues are the best.

Last edited: