Is it safe for two girls to travel by Taxi from Boca Chica to the capital?

americangirl

May 30, 2006
I will be in Boca Chica again in September and would like to be able to travel to the captial with a friend to shop. Is it safe to get a taxi and go, or should be do an organized trip from the hotel?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
It is safe, especially if you are traveling during the day. Be careful when you shop in the city. As in any city, don't wear jewelry, don't flash money, keep cell phones in pockets, etc.

My suggestion is that you contract a cab driver to drive take you in the Capital, wait, and take you back to BC (pay him when you get back to BC). It shouldn't be much more than if you hired a taxi for each way. Settle on the price before you leave.

I'm sure someone on this board will post the name a number of a reliable drive in the BC area.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
ive used him before and his guy was dependable. he is though much more expensive than most other taxis and his driver spoke 0 for english so hope you speak some spanish. sometimes safety is worth a little extra $$. Keep this in mind and always be careful as stated before dont flash a lot of money or jewelry around.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Another poster had recommended:

Fernando (lives in Boca and speaks English) 809.254.3870 and speaks and
Kuky (lives in Santo Domingo, speaks only a little English) 809.758.-6491

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Both highly recommended.
Fernando lives in Boca and speaks pretty good English.

Kuky speaks very little English but is very professional and has a nice rig!

You won't go wrong negotiating the price with the guy at The Taxi stand for round trip. Have an adventure, take the GuaGua (Bus) to The Capital and a cab back. No jewelry or much cash and it is a lotta' fun.

You could call Kuky in the Capital a few hours before to get home.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
the guagua is really easy to take into the capital. There is a free shuttle that can take you to the bus station on the highway.

You didnt meantion if you speak spanish or not.

IF you dont speak spanish and you dont have the courage to hook a ride on a guagua (in my experience very safe)...then a cab should run you about 20 usd each way.

if you do speak a little spanish..just ask for someone to point out parque indepenica...you will be right near el conde and the zona colonial.

when you are ready to go back to boca chica...just ask a cab to take you to the bus station. the bus station in SD is rather chaotic...and you want to make sure that you get on an express (its not really express...but better than stopping every couple of miles.

I personaly like the guagua's...and my spanish is not the best. 40 pesos vs 20 usd aint bad either....you just have to know where to get off the bus...and of course..dont dress flashy or rather touristy.

again...if you negotiate for a taxi...20 bucks is maximum!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
$20 USD is just not going to work with Petrol at RD$ 133.40!
The posted rate is $30, so if you are a good negotiator $25 is a possibility.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i was getting 20 in march...not sure what the gas prices are now...but sure..they were trying to get 30...i told my travel buddy 20 and he had no problem...i took the guagua

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Tamborista said:
$20 USD is just not going to work with Petrol at RD$ 133.40!
The posted rate is $30, so if you are a good negotiator $25 is a possibility.

$30 USD was the going rate 2 weeks ago.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Any bus heading up the hill, stops at the Bus Depot on the highway near Andres, switch to "The Expresso", and you are on your way to La Capital.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
and no need

Tamborista said:
Any bus heading up the hill, stops at the Bus Depot on the highway near Andres, switch to "The Expresso", and you are on your way to La Capital.

to speak Spanish etc. as you only need to walk about 10 feet to the express bus to the Capital. Plenty of bus people directing you to the right bus--just follow the crowd.

JOHN

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
yeah..but its one thing to not speak spanish and venture out of an AI.

I have co workers that have traveled to ai's and are petrified when they get out of the compound.

i'll make my post simple. Any good guagua in BC will take you drop you off at a little station (for free...then its about 40 pesos to the capital).

Rather than getting off at the last bus station..just ask someone to let you know where parque indepencia is...once you are over the bridge and about 10 minutes is...just ask again...i am sure you will figure it out.

If worse comes to worse and you dont know where to get off on the bus route...then pay 150-200 pesos for a ride to the shopping district (for a newbie...el conde...but try to find the good market about 3 blocks north of el conde...can get all the touristy gift stuff for a fraction of the price elsewhere....still gotta haggle tho. Its kinda fun for a tourist tho.

I dont think it as easy as the prev post says...without some language where do you know when to get off the bus?

just follow my previous directions...and you will do fine...if you want security..pay the 20 bucks and just ask your hotel owner to hire someone.

i recommend the guaguas...no one will mess with you on the bus...and its easy and so much cheaper.

ok..MAYBE on the way back a taxi? i am not sure what kind of shopping you are planning on doing. Lots of prada and D&G..then call some of the numbers here or just ask the hotel where you are staying.

vera

May 23, 2006
why would two american girls travel to boca chica? i've seen too many of you engage in "relationships" at "el parque" with despicable sankies, dont you have selfpride? what do you want? a deadly disease to then blame the country? go to Costa Rica or Europe, it'll be cheaper (promise) than BOCA CHICA

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
vera said:
why would two american girls travel to boca chica? i've seen too many of you engage in "relationships" at "el parque" with despicable sankies, dont you have selfpride? what do you want? a deadly disease to then blame the country? go to Costa Rica or Europe, it'll be cheaper (promise) than BOCA CHICA

puh-lease...boca chica is not some terrible place. Sure a little seedy (i call it the coney isle of the carib). but certainly one can have a pleasant trip without being sankied.

what is cool about about b.c. is that you have the beach and you also have the capital not too far away...plus you have other beaches near by as well.

Also..it is only 3.5 hrs from nyc non-stop...an affordable and easy flight.

The OP asked about shopping information and getting back and forth from BC to SD...she didnt ask about hooking up with men.

a decent/nice hotel in bc runs about 25-40 usd...try finding that in europe or costa rica!

I am just tired of people trashing B.C. It is what it is..nothing too fancy..but cerntainly more family oriented the past few years. there is ONE disco that is over-run with working girls and chica chasers...besides that it is pretty much a sleepy beach town.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
vera said:

Vera, What does this have to do with the OP question? The girls want to go shopping in Santo Domingo and need transportation. Simple question. Maybe the girls want to travel to Boca Chica for what some people call a vacation.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
bigbird said:
Vera, What does this have to do with the OP question? The girls want to go shopping in Santo Domingo and need transportation. Simple question. Maybe the girls want to travel to Boca Chica for what some people call a vacation.

thank you bigbird!!! There are plenty of folks who travel to BC who dont look for sankies.

For me BC is a no brainer....beach, sun, fun, water, very easy to get to, and close to other things to do. not a bad deal. If people would stop bashing it so much...perhaps it would have a chance to be a bit nicer?

MONKEY

Apr 28, 2005
Way to go Jzyguy

Thank you jzyguy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I go to Boca Chica everytime I go to the Dominican Republic and enjoy every minute of it. I am not looking for a sankie, but fun in the sun, hanging out with great locals, having drinks, and enjoying my time. No it's not fancy, but I still love it. I stay at the Zapata and have a great time hanging out with Roberto and Martha....

I have a trip planned for Jan of 2007....counting down the days !!!!:cheeky:

~monkey~;)

americangirl

May 30, 2006
vera said:

I do not know what the problem is with Boca Chica. I like it because it is so close to the captial. We use it as a base, but then we go to the capital, or to La Romana to see Altos de Chavon, or whatever. It is a nice location, becuase it is so close the airport too.

Anyway, I have always gone with my parents and I am going with a girlfriend of mine this time, and I want to know how to travel around. My dad always rents a car, and he says it is safe to take a taxi or a guagua, but he has not lived in DR for 35 years.

I think I might try the guagua...anyone has a stories about them. Are they safe even at night? Or is a taxi better at night?