Quincea?era

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Can anyone describe what takes place at a Dominican Quincea?era? I am particularly interested if there any traditions or customs unique to a Dominican Quincea?era that might be different from a Quincea?era in other Latin American countries.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
rellosk said:
Can anyone describe what takes place at a Dominican Quincea?era? I am particularly interested if there any traditions or customs unique to a Dominican Quincea?era that might be different from a Quincea?era in other Latin American countries.

The parents spend a lot of money, buy a jr. wedding gown for their daughter, invite all the friends and the friends' friends over and party at the designated place ($$) until 10pm. Then the friends and the friends' friends change into jevito clothes and party until the wee hours of the morning. :glasses:

May 31, 2005
I think that he is looking for more traditional stuff. I really can't answer that because I have never been to a quienceañera given by a Dominican family. The ones that I have been to have been given by Puerto Rican families. Maybe there is not much difference. I don't know.

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
A couple of traditional things

The girl finds 15 girls and 15 boys who will dance 2 songs with each other - one slow song and one merengue. They may have lessons beforehand. On the day, all the girls get dressed together and have the same dresses, shoes, hairstyle. The boys go to the place where the girls are getting ready and find the girls and take them to the place where the celebration is to be held. The birthday girl walks down between them whilst they hold decorated ribbons over her. Then they all dance the slow song, followed by the merengue. The birthday girl doesn't dance these two songs. She sits on a highly decorated chair, watching. After that, her father goes to her and puts her new shoes on her (from him) and he asks her to dance. They dance a slow dance. After that, the party begins!!!

Hope that is of some help!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Nikki Simon said:
The girl finds 15 girls and 15 boys who will dance 2 songs with each other - one slow song and one merengue. They may have lessons beforehand. On the day, all the girls get dressed together and have the same dresses, shoes, hairstyle. The boys go to the place where the girls are getting ready and find the girls and take them to the place where the celebration is to be held. The birthday girl walks down between them whilst they hold decorated ribbons over her. Then they all dance the slow song, followed by the merengue. The birthday girl doesn't dance these two songs. She sits on a highly decorated chair, watching. After that, her father goes to her and puts her new shoes on her (from him) and he asks her to dance. They dance a slow dance. After that, the party begins!!!

Thanks. That's a great help!

mamichula24

Mar 28, 2006
I haven't heard about this before. Is this done for milestone birthdays or every birthday. Is this done for any other occasion? What exactly is this celebration?

May 31, 2005
I just asked my mom. Quinceañeras go to the church for a misa. The quinceañera is wearing slippers or low heeled shoes in the church. The father then comes and changes her slippers to high heeled shoes in the church. This signifies that she is now a woman. After that comes the big party. You have 15 couples or it can be less if the quinceañera has less friends or less money. It depends on the person. Some of the quinceañeras family pay for the dresses and tuxes while others have each person pay for their own thing. The 15 couples are usually 15 years old or under. The first slow song that they dance at the reception is usually tiempo de vals by Chayanne. Before Chayanne came out with that song they used to dance to the instrumental version of the vals. The quienceañera dances this first song with her father. There are lots of food and lots of drinks.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Nikki Simon said:

That is an exact description of what they (some) do in Brasil. I've been to one in the DR as well, mid to high society in SD. It was more modern, just a disco party with old and young generation somewhat separated. "Old" sat on their tables with food and drinks during the whole event. Dresscode is generally "ellegant".