Why the Dominican Man?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Ok, I was told to start the thread...

What's the big fuss all about?

Before we move on, let us start with the disclaimer, AKA the fine print:
It is never a good idea to generalize, however, it can be said that some of the popular descriptions of a Dominican man are in essence true. Not everyone will fit into the mold, so DONT TAKE IT PERSONAL IF YOU DONT! We dont need all the Dominican men posting on how this doesnt describe them personally. If it doesnt apply to you, then take your paws off the keyboard and take it somewhere else...

This is what I know about the typical Dominican man:
  • Can talk up a good game (muelu)
  • Can move (good dancer = usually good in bed)
  • Will take care of family ? so that wife will be fine with his cheating
  • Will cheat

I know that there are other things that can be added to the list. So you gals can do that?

Ok so now about me: (Fact: my ex-husband was not Dominican). If I learned one lesson from my failed marriage it was that I know exactly what I DON?T want next time. When I decided I was ready to date (2 years after my separation) I thought what I wanted was a Dominican man. I thought that it would be easier, that it only made sense; it was the way to go? Well I DON?T THINK SO ANYMORE! ALL of the warnings were true, at least in my case.

Which brings me to wonder, what is the big deal? I know we have spoken about the sankies, what makes foreign women flock to them. But what about the others, young, pretty, professional, full of possibilities, full of potential?

Why are there so many women hooked on them like they are the last Malta Morena en el barrio??

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Talldrink said:
Why are there so many women hooked on them like they are the last Malta Morena en el barrio??
Probably due to points 1 & 2 on your list. That combined with being on a Caribbean island and being pumped with alcohol.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
rellosk said:
Probably due to points 1 & 2 on your list. That combined with being on a Caribbean island and being pumped with alcohol.

We were thinking of taking this out of the sankie direction. It's not about what is so so great about dominican sankies but rather the Dominican men.

Let's get out of the resorts for a change. ;)

BTW for those that don't know, talldrink is a Dominicana.

Thanks

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh nooooooo!

Do you girls REEEEEEEEEEEEALLY want me to post on this thread?.

As it is, MOST girls dislike my frankness, now, do you REEEEEEEEEEEALLY want the Dominican male members to hate my guts too?.

There's are MANY reasons why I say: "if I were a female, I wouldn't date a Dominican man even if he has the last "Johnson" available!!".

Now, are you sure that you can "HANDLE THE TRUTH"?.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Talldrink said:
  1. Can talk up a good game (muelu)
  2. Can move (good dancer = usually good in bed)
  3. Will take care of family – so that wife will be fine with his cheating
  4. Will cheat

Great subject, Talldrink!!!

Ok...here it goes...this is my understanding also...BUT...so far...My Tony only fits #2, and some of #3 (as far as taking care of me, making me feel totally loved and appreciated, no cheating yet!):cheeky:

I hope he never reaches #1 or #4...but only time will tell!!!:paranoid:

I think basically this boils down to the subject we were discussing on another thread, about the American male having become so lame...almost as if they had been castrated!

Believe me, I have thought about this for the longest time and have told Tony about it, because he's asked the same question..."Why do you think so many tourists fall in love with Dominicans"...

The Dominican man still knows how to treat a woman like a lady, they are not 'spoiled' by the American mentality of 'equality'...****, we ARE NOT EQUAL...I don't want to be treated like a man...:angry:

It sounds better when you even say it in Spanish...Los Dominicanos son todavía muy inocentes...They are almost 'naive' about certain things...(Again, not generalizing...because there are some tigueres that are incredibly astute!)

At least to me, this makes a huge difference to us women...I have NOT found a single guy here that is not always thinking about what we women have that they can take advantage of...house, car, money, privileges, etc...

I love Tony because he's honest, too sincere sometimes, and definetely naive about certain things in life still...

I think this makes them even more appealing to most women...Well, at least I like that about my man!

MQ

P.S.
Talldrink said:
If it doesnt apply to you, then take your paws off the keyboard and take it somewhere else...

No, we don't want YOUR opinion...YOU are not a woman, as far as we know, so you couldn't even begin to understand WHY we WOMEN want to have a relationship with a Dominican man...

Thanks for staying out of this thread...

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Miguel, the intent that we (Anna and I) had for this thread is what to hear what the others think about the Dom man. We usually only hear about the sankie lover and what they thought was so great - not that there's anything wrong with that as long as is not MY money being sent via Western Union!

We KNOW how you feel - trust me you are perfectly clear expressing your views in your very poignant, descriptive and of course detailed posts. At any rate, lets see what the others have to say about the subject...

...The Dominican man still knows how to treat a woman like a lady,

MQ - I agree with you that they are gentlemen with the ladies. However, tipically they are all good at the beginning. When they have you, then is another story.

It sounds better when you even say it in Spanish...Los Dominicanos son todavía muy inocentes...They are almost 'naive' about certain things...(

Can you tell me what you mean by that? Are you talking about Dominicanos that live in DR and the progressive mentality of the women that live in the US and our livestyles here?

BTW - Tony got you on #1 the day you met him! Muela doesnt necessarily have to be bad... Dom men have a gift - embrace Tony's!

tlc32875

Apr 3, 2006
for me ..its the excitement of expierencing a new culture .i think men and women from dominican republic culture are beauitiful people .( and no i do not mean women in that way just in general) .the men still open the doors for women and treat a lady the way a lady should be treated . i have had great conversations ,fun dancing ..what woman does not want a date on vacation..as long as you go on vacation with a clear head ..and sometimes thats hard to do because the men are smooth talkers and tell u what they think you want to hear.i am from the US and i am used to that so ..i can handle myself ..personally i would prefer to be with a dominican man over any other culture..maybe i am shallow but i just think most not all dominican men are very sexy ..sometimes its ruined when they open their mouth like any other man ..but still good to look at

my 2 pesos
thanks ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok, got it!

Talldrink said:
Miguel, the intent that we (Anna and I) had for this thread is what to hear what the others think about the Dom man. We usually only hear about the sankie lover and what they thought was so great - not that there's anything wrong with that as long as is not MY money being sent via Western Union!

We KNOW how you feel - trust me you are perfectly clear expressing your views in your very poignant, descriptive and of course detailed posts. At any rate, lets see what the others have to say about the subject...
I got it. I will stay away. I was just thinking of telling SOME of these old fools that their "prizes" are not such, even if they believe everything that comes out of their mouths.

But, I know what you are saying, let's hear it from the LADIES!.

Roger and out!.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Talldrink said:
MQ - I agree with you that they are gentlemen with the ladies. However, tipically they are all good at the beginning. When they have you, then is another story.

Can you tell me what you mean by that? Are you talking about Dominicanos that live in DR and the progressive mentality of the women that live in the US and our livestyles here?

BTW - Tony got you on #1 the day you met him! Muela doesnt necessarily have to be bad... Dom men have a gift - embrace Tony's!

Ok...let's see...Yes, as you put it "the progressive mentality of the women that live in the US and our livestyles here" We have become so 'anesthezised' (I don't even know if that's the right word) to everything in order to be able to carry on with this rat race, that we don't even know how good it feels to be treated like a real lady...until we visit DR...thus when we encounter a nice Dominicano, we immediately want that feeling to last forever...

I really don't even know how to express what I feel in this sense, it's just a sweet child-like mentality that I've seen in them, (at least the ones I have become friends with) that I find so appealing...I have to laugh inside when Tony's friends make certain comments because I think they sound so cute...But of course, these people don't have that much contact with tourists...they have not been 'spoiled'...Does anyone have any clue what I mean? I hope so...

And to the last point: No...believe me...Tony doesn't have a single atom of 'muelero'...as a matter of fact he got me with his looks...no, not his physical look, the way he was looking at me for 3 hours...so sweet, but smoldering looks...until he finally came over to ask me to dance...Not a single: "Ay, mami...tu me gustas" or any of that crap that you can smell a mile away...

I would never have given this relationship a chance if it had been because of 'muela'...I know I brag about him a lot, and most people here don't believe me...But Tony is a totally different kind of Dominican...none of the bulls***, none of the 'muela', I swear the man is so honest sometimes I feel hurt by some of the things he tells me...but then I have to thank him for being so brutally honest with me...I prefer it that way...so there won't ever be any surprises...

Now you have to remember that he's my first Dominican boyfriend, so to this day Tony has been a real gentleman, and I expect him to be that way forever...:cheeky:

MQ

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
It's going on three years since I met a special Dominican man. He is everything a sankie is not. From the very first meeting on the beach I was impressed. He is polite, has manners, knows how to treat a lady, has a close relationship with his family, especially his mother. He is educated, is studying English on the side as well as holding down a full time job. Til this day he has not once asked me for money when I'm visiting or any other time. I have never heard a sob story regarding a sick family member. He complains about working too much; but who does'nt these days. I have met many Dominican men over the years and most of them have asked for money right off the bat. That is such a turn off. So my point is that there are good guys in the Dominican Republic, you just have to be lucky enough to meet one.

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
Ok...here it goes...this is my understanding also...BUT...so far...My Tony only fits #2, and some of #3 (as far as taking care of me, making me feel totally loved and appreciated, no cheating yet!)

Just wondering how you can be so sure he doesn't cheat when you are here and he is over there?

May 31, 2005
Why the Dominican Man for me? Because I want to have the same cultural background. I have been in relationships with men from other cultures and it is not the same thing. I want to have the same values that my partner has.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Curly - I dont think the entire race is a lost case. I do still believe there are good ones out there...

I must agree with you Dragonfly. I would love to be with a man that can share my culture. That is why I was so stuck on the thought that a Dominican man would be the best match for me. Now I am open to the qualities I am looking for - regardless of nationality.

Another thing I have encountered is that most Dom men here want to go back to DR eventually. I have kids and my life is where my kids will be. I will like to grow old near my family and be able to share life with them and help with my grandkids. So the thought of going back to DR for good is not an idea I share.

I think I am better off with an Americanized Dominican. I will like to share my culture, music, dancing, ect. sans some of the machismo, tunnel thinking, and the added attitude. All that and at the same time, enjoy my life here in the US.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I never said the entire race was a "lost cause". I'm just telling of my experince with a "good" Dominican man.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
From what the ladies say and also reading what men say in other threads, I can understand the innocence comment. I've experienced it myself. Everything old is new again.

Are we living in a world where we have seen and experienced it all and nothing is exciting anymore? Their innocence of the world, is that what part of the charm? We see things as if for the first. We want to show them our world and see it through their eyes?

The problem is how fast will that innocence disappear once they get here. Would relationships fare better if women moved to the DR?

Yes I know many have adjusted to the great white north but would the relationships that couldn't make it here have better change in the DR?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
LOPTKA said:
Ok...here it goes...this is my understanding also...BUT...so far...My Tony only fits #2, and some of #3 (as far as taking care of me, making me feel totally loved and appreciated, no cheating yet!)

Just wondering how you can be so sure he doesn't cheat when you are here and he is over there?

I trust him...that's it...he's shown me that I can do that...

He's always either home or working, doesn't go to clubs, if he parties is at home, at his friends, or at the colmado by his house, where everyone knows me...and he answers the phone no matter what time of day or night I call him...

You know, I think women can 'feel' it when a man is lying or cheating on us...don't you agree girls? Up to this minute, I have no reason to doubt him...if I ever do, then I'll know how to deal with it...But what I REFUSE to do is to live my life constantly thinking wheather he's cheating or being truthful or not...

Now, if he has sex with other girls while I'm here and he's there...and I don't know about it...well...what can I do? Agonize over it? I don't think so...and he's young and viril...so there might be a chance that it could happen...But I don't believe it has happened yet!

Ok...back to topic...AnnaC...I'm glad you understood what I was trying to say...

From our talks, I don't think Tony will change...I have asked him repeatedly to keep that in mind, I want to get used to HIS way of thinking, and not the other way around...

And you girls might think I've totally lost ALL my marbles, but Tony and I ARE planning on going back to live in DR...and in the near future! :cheeky:

About having relationships with someone from your same culture, I don't agree...Culture and values are two different things...I embrace the difference in culture, but we both have the SAME values...and that's what's making this relationship work...

MQ

Mar 21, 2002
Sweet post MQ

Musicqueen said:
I really don't even know how to express what I feel in this sense, it's just a sweet child-like mentality that I've seen in them, (at least the ones I have become friends with) that I find so appealing...I have to laugh inside when Tony's friends make certain comments because I think they sound so cute...But of course, these people don't have that much contact with tourists...they have not been 'spoiled'...Does anyone have any clue what I mean? I hope so...MQ

This is nice, MQ. I understand. That childlike behavior is most refreshing. It seems you have met dominicans who see you as a person. These guys have shown their truthfulness, honesty and openness. The innocence of dominicans still exists and hopefully will last far into the future. That childlike quality is beautiful innocence, unmarred, untainted by materialism and self-interest.

I wish you the best and it will be so!

Maybe there is hope for the DR.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Onions&carrots said:
This is nice, MQ. I understand. That childlike behavior is most refreshing. It seems you have met dominicans who see you as a person. These guys have shown their truthfulness, honesty and openness. The innocence of dominicans still exists and hopefully will last far into the future. That childlike quality is beautiful innocence, unmarred, untainted by materialism and self-interest.

I wish you the best and it will be so!

Maybe there is hope for the DR.

Exactly my thoughts!!! Thank you...and I sincerely hope your post is not in jest...

MQ

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Why Dominican Men ???

Cause they're just so damn hot !!! and Canadian men are not !

As for personalities, to everyone their own !!! Sankie or no sankie...

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I agree with la barbie. Canadian are dull as dish water and plain in looks. Dominican men have sex appeal, plain and simple. Enough said.