If this happens Sosua is finished

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
A few people I know have received notification that they have a short delay to hook up their condo projects to the sewage pipes installed a few years ago in Sosua. Has anyone else received this notification. Scary stuff as I witnessed the installation of those pipes. Nothing would flow in them, not even sh*t. Someone please tell me it's a joke on the part of the Gov't.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Eddy said:
A few people I know have received notification that they have a short delay to hook up their condo projects to the sewage pipes installed a few years ago in Sosua. Has anyone else received this notification. Scary stuff as I witnessed the installation of those pipes. Nothing would flow in them, not even sh*t. Someone please tell me it's a joke on the part of the Gov't.

El Neptuno got one of these notices that it must connect on or about June 9, but no later than 15 days after.

There is no information about what to connect, where to connect, who is to do the work, who is to pay, etc., etc, and a call to the office in Puerto Plata produced no useful information.

Needless to say, we aren't in a rush. The septic system we have is working well.
Asi es la vida en la Republica Dominicana.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Ken said:
El Neptuno got one of these notices that it must connect on or about June 9, but no later than 15 days after.

There is no information about what to connect, where to connect, who is to do the work, who is to pay, etc., etc, and a call to the office in Puerto Plata produced no useful information.

Needless to say, we aren't in a rush. The septic system we have is working well.
Asi es la vida en la Republica Dominicana.
I spoke to someone in authority today and he said not to worry about it for now. They still have to check the integrity of the whole system. Can you just imagine what would happen if we had to start doing this now. Remember a few years ago.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the info, Eddy. Apparently one person in the organization has his head on straight.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
joecanada said:
Are the treatment plant and pump-houses even operational??
Treatement plant - Pump stations???? What are those. I thought they were just going to dump it in the ocean. (Joke)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Eddy said:
Treatement plant - Pump stations???? What are those. I thought they were just going to dump it in the ocean. (Joke)

Maybe you are sure it is a joke, but it wouldn't surprise me. But, as you suggested in one of your posts, it is more likely it will work until it fills up. When our toilets and sinks back up, we will know it is time to reconnect to the septic tank.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mrgood100 said:
Is this issue of sewer treatment plants and infrastructure a big joke on the North Coast or are you folks just exaggerating?

No joke. Those of us who have been given notice that we must connect are very concerned.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
mrgood100 said:
I am just trying to figure out what the dilemma is. You have decent septic systems but now sewer is being offered but you don't know know if it will ultimately fail? Is this the question and if it does you will be totally without either sewer or septic? Please advise.:glasses: :glasses:
You obviously are new to the area. Several years ago, they dug up all the streets in Sosua, left the trenches open for nearly a year and put undersized pipe in it. In most cases they didn't take into consideration people having to hook up to it. I was lucky and had them put a "T" where it would be practical for me. Othewise, I would have had to break up all the floors right down the center of my building to run from the septic to the street. I'm sure that others didn't do that. When they finally decided to fill in the trenches, they just "bulldosed" the fill right in. Several big rocks hit and cracked those pipes. If anyone ever hooked up to them, it would be a total mess. I hope they wait another 100 years before ever trying to do anything. Has anyone travelled between Playa Dorada and POP recently. Those idiots waited untill the highway was paved and in perfect shape to start to dig again. The people in Public Works don't have 1 brain cell among the whole lot.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mrgood100 said:
I am just trying to figure out what the dilemma is. You have decent septic systems but now sewer is being offered but you don't know know if it will ultimately fail? Is this the question and if it does you will be totally without either sewer or septic? Please advise.:glasses: :glasses:

mrgood100, I suspect you are not only new to the Sosua area, but to the Dominican Republic. Those of us who live here know these sorts of things happen all the time. It is part of the "charm" of living in this country. Trying to analyze the matter in a rational way doesn't work.

If you go around the country you will see countless projects that began with great government fanfare, then were stopped after being partially constructed. Or like Eddy talked about, repave the road to Puerto Plata then tear it up to put in sewer pipes.

There is an expression that sums it up, Asi es la vida en la Republica Dominicana. The English translation is that's how life is in the Dominican Republic.

Welcome to the DR.

PS: Regarding your statement about being totally without sewer or septic, the condo I live in intends to maintain its septic system even after we connect to the sewer, and we certainly will not be the first to do that. But if that system fails, we want to be prepared to go back to our septic system as quickly and easily as possible.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Eddy said:
Has anyone travelled between Playa Dorada and POP recently. Those idiots waited untill the highway was paved and in perfect shape to start to dig again.
The same stuff happens in the US. It seems one department (water, power, roadworks, city, country, state, etc.) doesn't know what the other is doing.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Ah si!

rellosk said:
The same stuff happens in the US. It seems one department (water, power, roadworks, city, country, state, etc.) doesn't know what the other is doing.

Isn't it just amazing? A beautifully repaved road, dug back up so that it is a complete mess again!Oh my poor jeepta, my poor aching spine!!!! Perhaps these public works people are being taught by American civil engineers??? Hmmmmmmmm