Martial Arts School

H

HERB

Hello Sir
I am a student of the Martial Arts for the past twenty-nine years and an instructor for fifteen years. I would like to re-locate to the Dominican Republic. Can you tell me is there an interest there in the Martial Arts. Let me say this as it is important with regards to the Art I study, I teach a form called Nihon Jui-jitsu which is strictly self defense. However I am aware that some people like to compete in tournaments so I have put aside time for those who would prefer this type of training.
My main studies are focused on self defense. I also have classes for woman's self defense and rape awareness classes.
I would like to know what the cost of insurance and rent for an average size studio would be with a class size of at least ten students. I would like to re-locate to Santo Domingo.
Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Herb

F

Freddy

You might want to visit the DR and see for yourself.

Driving around the city I have seen maybe 10-12 Martial arts schools and I'm sure there are more. Maumoro Matsunaga's Judo school was the first one, but I remember 20-30 years ago, when I was around 15 years old, some of my friends were in tae-kwon-do, Ken-do? and ju-jitsu academies. So as you see martial arts have been around for some time. What seems interesting in your niche is the woman's self defense and rape awareness classes. I think you might have a market here which is ripe for the picking.

Regarding insurance costs I really have no idea, and regarding rents the range is wide from just a couple hundred dollars in a middle class neighborhood to around 1,000 dollars for around 1,500 square feet in a wealthier neighborhood. The dominican economy is going through many changes and globalization is bringing higher crime rates with it; which ironically might be good for the self-defense training providers like yourself. Think seriously about traveling to the DR to explore the market.

That would be my advice.

Good Luck

H

HERB

Hello Freddy
Thank you for your rapid response. I will follow your advice. I have one more question. How would one go about arranging to put on a demonstration? I would need a place, some one by twelve pine boards, advertizement and a translator.
I have been to Santo Domingo five times, but strickly to visit with a friend. Now I will have to plan on going for business.
Again thank you for any more advice you can give me.
Herb

F

Freddy

Some ideas:

Maybe your friend could contact some association of women executives and/or businesspersons and coordinate an exhibition at some hotel.

You might contact local gymnasiums where women go to execise and who could be interested in taking self defense courses at the gym during certain hours.

You might want to go to some popular TV Show like "El Gordo de la Semana" or similar programs which are watched by over 1 million viewers and which will not charge you for putting on a show for their public, since that will provide entertainment for them and free publicity for you.

Or any mix of the above.

Good Luck.

H

HERB

Once again Thank you for your suggestions. I have to admit I did not think of those possibilitites. Going to the gymnasiums are a good choice. I also like the idea of going on TV to put on a demo,but I am at a loss as to how I would contact them and would I need a translator? I do not mean to keep bothering you but you have come up with such great ideas. Thank you again
Herb

F

Freddy

Yes, you would need a translator.

No, contacting the TV program producer should not be hard since they are very well known and their telephones are publicly known.

However you will need someone locally to help you out and move around. Maybe that friend you mentioned could help you out.

Also, if you are an american citizen, try contacting the US Embassy (your Embassy) here in the DR. One of their tasks is to help US businesses interested in the DR. They can put you in touch with the American Chamber of Commerce, who can also assist you.