Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
amigomexicano said:
Anyone working remotely from DR?

What type of occupation do you have?

How much do you earn?

Working freelance or for a company?
I doubt that people are going to be willing to share such private information, but to answer part of it, as anywhere else in the world, there are many people who make their living with businesses run on the internet.
I have met many. Some are selling items, some do research, some sell real estate, translations, etc.
It's no different here than anywhere else, except the weather is better.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I've met a guy in Santo Domingo who earns his money playing poker on the internet. Well, I don't know whether he made money, but that's what he did all day.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
amigomexicano said:
Anyone working remotely from DR?

What type of occupation do you have?

How much do you earn?

Working freelance or for a company?

Although you ask some personal questions I will try to answer this the best way I can.

My job allows me to remotely work from anywhere in the world as long as I have electricity during 9 hours per day and a reliable high speed internet connection. Those two are hard to find in the DR. Not impossible but rather difficult and you would probably have to spend some money on a inverter or a power plant to give you electricity during your working hours.

I have spoken to my manager in the past about the possibilty of me doing this. There would be some factors involved. One being I would have to take a 20% paycut (something I am not willing to do). As soon as management said 20% cut I said - NO THANK YOU.

Now I don't make 6 figures but make a descent amount of money. I did the math and with a 20% salary cut I would just be making it in the DR. Thus, I passed on it.

Hope that sheds some light.

Ohhh - I forgot to answer. I do customer service for a company that provides financial information to Investment Bankers and Investment Managers.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
My wife works as a systems project manager for a large financial instution in New York. Working from home/remote for extended periods is common practice (especially among systems people) at this very large institution with offices throughout the US and the rest of the world. At present my wife has a cubicle in NYC but has no direct interface with anyone else in her building. Her boss is located in Tampa ( often working from home in Fort Lauderdale) and her boss works out of Dallas. My wife received permission from her boss to work from our vacation/retirement home in DR for extended periods (not precisely defined but up to 6 weeks at a time feels doable for starters). There was no talk of any cut in pay.

We brought her work laptop to test the connectivity on our last visit and found that there is no problem with our DSL connection locally, however, the network settings on her employer supplied machine need to be changed in order to satisfy the strict security protocols of the employer's global network . This requires special authority which has recently been granted. So, she's going to try again when we visit in July and we are confident that we will be able to visit more often and for longer periods after that. Hope there's some useful information there for you.
MM

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Regarding the 20% cut asked of El Tigre to relocate (see post above)...

Wouldn't the tax exemption afforded to US citizens/residents who live abroad compensate for this 20% cut. Look into it. I believe there is a tax exemption up to US$85,000 or something like that a year.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Dolores said:

Wouldn't the tax exemption afforded to US citizens/residents who live abroad compensate for this 20% cut. Look into it. I believe there is a tax exemption up to US$85,000 or something like that a year.
But once he becomes a resident of the DR, wouldn't he be required to pay Dominican taxes?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
qgrande said:
I've met a guy in Santo Domingo who earns his money playing poker on the internet. Well, I don't know whether he made money, but that's what he did all day.

Sounds familiar.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Dolores said:

Hi Dolores,

The reason they cut the salary is not because of taxes. A colleague of mine moved to Tampa and works from her home. She had to take a 15% salary cut due to the different "cost of living" as HR called it.

They hire an independent firm to do some "cost of living" analysis (my company never looses one). Then they determine if you would be increased or decreased in pay. I saw salary increases when they brought the entitlements team from NJ to NY. They were bumped 10% if memory serves me right.

I don't think this is fair but apparently they have to do this.