'Prescription' drugs

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hey all, I am wondering if the farmacia's sell any typical drugs for high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. without needing a prescription?

I am rounding up a number of medications to bring again and have some specific drug requests to bring.
Here, of course, a prescription is needed and I know the farmacia's are much more liberal in the RD.

I may want to buy them there if I can't get them donated here.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrf said:
Hey all, I am wondering if the farmacia's sell any typical drugs for high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. without needing a prescription?

I am rounding up a number of medications to bring again and have some specific drug requests to bring.
Here, of course, a prescription is needed and I know the farmacia's are much more liberal in the RD.

I may want to buy them there if I can't get them donated here.
You can get almost anything without prescription, except "pleasure drugs", that is to say, strong pain killers, sleeping pills, tranquilizers, etc.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I have been able to get antibiotics, Hyertension meds, Metformin (diabetes) without any problems, and it is sometimes even cheaper then my drug plan with my insuance in the US

Bob K

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Question? So if I needed Ventolin for asthma, I could get it from the farmacia without a prescription?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
tarrantino said:
Question? So if I needed Ventolin for asthma, I could get it from the farmacia without a prescription?

Yes, I buy it without prescription.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
jrf said:

Yes. My wife buys Lipitor and another BP medicine that is the same as a name-brand product in the US but has a different name here.

Should be no trouble with diabetes meds either. The only meds that are controlled are a few on the narcotics list here, sich as Valium and Librax

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
BUT if you have DR drugs without a prescription, US Customs can get cranky.

Take your old bottles with the prescription labels on them with you and put the DR drugs in them.

Keep in mind that many DR drugs are different from US drugs because their manufacturing origin may not be the US.

Been there.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It really helps to have the Generic name and the active pharamaceutical compound in the drug. Many generics are sold here and without the name of the drug, you will have a hard time locating. Just GOOGLE the brand name and print the PDR entry to bring if you need to locate something off the beaten path .

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
getting a prescription is even quite easy. go see doctor and say " my back hurts i need a prescription for valium". usually no problem finding a doctor to prescribe things as easily as this.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I buy Atenolol 50mg by the box of 50 for RD$161. I also buy the Ventolin 100mcg inhaler for my son for RD$318. Both without a prescription. Having lived here 10 years I know all the pharmacy owners here on a first name basis and have been able to buy the controlled sleeping pills once when I needed them without prescription. That was the one and only time I ever had any dealings with a controlled substance a couple years ago.

Rick

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
Malaria pills (Doxycycline) and Birth control pills?

Hi, sorry to jump in, but I am trying to guage whether I should bring a full years supply of Doxycycline (preventative anti-biotic for Malaria - if there is something else available in the DR for this as well- which I am assuming/hoping there is) or not. Also, is a reliable form of birth control pills available over the counter? Thanks in advance!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Birth control pill are plentiful and if you are Dominican or have contact with one they can get them free from the hospital. Don't know why anyone would want a supply of malaria pills unless you are planning on living really close to or in Haiti.

Edited to add;

I would assume that malaria pills are available but I honestly don't know as this is one thing I have never checked on.

Rick

Last edited:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Our experience with pharmacists has been very positive indeed. They are very knowledgeable & helpful. If a pharmacy does not stock a particular drug, they have even sent a "motoconcho" to another store to get it........no charge! Canadian Bob.

MONKEY

Apr 28, 2005
Antidepressants?

What about antidepressants, such as prozac or celexa? If yes, will they be as affective as ones purchased in the US?

~monkey~

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Wow Rick,
I don't know about Atenolol but the price for the Ventolin is better than what I pay for it here in Canada and that is with getting reimbursed by insurance.

So the Farmacia by the Texaco station in Sosua will probably get a little more business now that we know this.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ambre said:
Hi, sorry to jump in, but I am trying to guage whether I should bring a full years supply of Doxycycline (preventative anti-biotic for Malaria - if there is something else available in the DR for this as well- which I am assuming/hoping there is)
Why? Are you planning to go to Haiti?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Here in my little town of El Seybo we have 8 pharmacies and the prices differ from store to store so I would alway suggest that you shop around and check all the prices out. The price usually isn't that much but if one store sells it for RD$318 and another for RD$315 I tell Alberto "hey Maria is selling it for 315 and usually Alberto will sell it to me for 310 which ends up saving me either 5 or 8 pesos depending on which store I would buy it.

Rick

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
ambre said:
Hi, sorry to jump in, but I am trying to guage whether I should bring a full years supply of Doxycycline (preventative anti-biotic for Malaria - if there is something else available in the DR for this as well- which I am assuming/hoping there is) or not. Also, is a reliable form of birth control pills available over the counter? Thanks in advance!

Ambre, both the DR and Haiti are registered as class 2 malaria risks, which is low. Highly unlikely you would need anti-malarials and even if you were to be in an area where malaria had appeared, there is still no need for the antimalarials. These are not drugs you want to be taking unless there is a high risk level.