Teaching English in Puerto Plata

louisekilpatrick

Mar 18, 2006
Hello,
Can anyone help me please!

I have already done relevant searches on this but cannot find the information I am looking for.

It seems that most of the teaching jobs appear to be in Santo Domingo, however I will be living in the Puerto Plata area.

What are the chances of finding a job there and is it true that salary is about RD$ 12,000 per month?

Any clarification on the subject would be much appreciated!

Many Thanks in advance

Louise

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Louise: Language teachers at Berlitz get RD$125 an hour for teaching. Which means 24 hours a week--a huge load--to make that kind of money.
I am not sure ifyou can get more money per hour in POP or less! that is something you will have to figure out.
There are plenty of teaching jobs in Santiago, FYI.

HB :D:D

louisekilpatrick

Mar 18, 2006
Hillbilly

Thank you very much!

I dont suppose you have any idea of where I need to enquire about these jobs do you???

I am off to the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks at the end of this month, and would like to lay some kind of foundation for my move in September.

Louise

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Louise,
You have my e-mail from previous communications so drop me a line & I'll dig out Greg Mulvaney's e-mail address (Costambar area) for you. The is also the International Scxhool at Sosua but getting there from Puerto Plata might be a drag unless you have a car! Who else have you tried in the PoP Area?? ~ Grahame.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You need to go and visit the schools in Puerto Plata personally and apply for a job. They would require a photo, resumé, copies of certificates and references.
In Puerto Plata there is Alic School that is billingual, and also John´s English School.
Salaries are 8000-12000 RDS/months depending on your experiences and education.
Both schools would require that you are Spanish speaking as well, and preferable have the certificate to teach in any more subject.

Most teachers earn extra money by giving private lessons as well.

louisekilpatrick

Mar 18, 2006
thanks

Thanks for all this info guys!

I am going over in a couple of weeks, so will do some research when Im there.

Louise

canadianchick

Mar 8, 2005
Louise,
I use to work at Alic and they only pay 6500 if your qualified and 6000 if your not. I know of a girl that is working at Hostos English school and she is making good money so you might want to try there. I have a friend who works at mullaney in costambar and she gets paid around 13,000.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
No use getting Mullaney's adderss in Costambar.
Mullaney International Private School has been closed since 2006.
They are no longer living on the North coast.

(it's Mullaney not Mulvaney)