Looking for work in DR....various questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

americangirl

May 30, 2006
:) I am an American Attorney, interested in living in the Dominican Republic. What sort of jobs do you think I should be looking at? I would like to practice law, but would need a license, etc. Are there any other type jobs I should be looking at, that may be related to law.

Also, what does an English Teacher get paid in the DR?

Do you need to get a visa?

Thanks

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
http://www.superpagesdr.com/listings.phtml?SRC=&STYPE=S&N=&T=&S=&C=Abogados

americangirl said:
.... I would like to practice law, but would need a license, etc.
Even with a license you'd compete with thousands (The DR is said to have the highest number of lawyers per capita.)
It seems to be the easiest diploma to get or buy...

americangirl said:
Are there any other type jobs I should be looking at, that may be related to law.
Maybe you could work at a lawyer's doing translations, assuming that you speak Spanish fluently.

americangirl said:
Also, what does an English Teacher get paid in the DR?
Differs and depends.
There are many threads about this.
Do a search.

americangirl said:
Do you need to get a visa?
No, you travel on your passport....
Then you apply for residencia and cedula.

m'frog

americangirl

May 30, 2006
Thank you M'frog...

I speak spanish, but not fluently. I could be fluent in a few months of living there though. I wonder how I could find a law job like you mentioned.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Abogada

americangirl said:
I wonder how I could find a law job like you mentioned.

Securing a good job here means to know the right people and do a lot of networking.
Can the Dominicans you know not help?
(I'm not referring to your sankie relationship...)

As your Father is Dominican, he may have some connection.

Will you be living in S.D.?

m'frog

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your law degree is worth about as much as a row of pee pee holes in a snow bank here. :(

sorry to be so blunt, but the DR uses the French Napoleonic Code. PLUS, You have to be a Dominican citizen to practice law in the DR.

So, why do you want to come here and work for peanuts??

HB :(:(:(

americangirl

May 30, 2006
Well I have a very good job here in the states, but I would like to live in a Spanish speaking country to practice my Spanish and learn another area of law.

I actually have a Civil Law degree, so the law is very similar. I studied in Europe and Brazil during law school, which was a great experience. But, now that I am a practicing attorney, I would love to live in the DR and get a change of pace.

I actually spoke with my father last night and he said that he is going to get me a two month internship at either a law firm in Santo Domingo or with the Department of Interior and Police (I think), because my uncle is a Deputy Minster for that department of the government.

Anyway, I hope it works out....we will see. I do not even know if I can get an internship with the government, but my Father and uncle say they are going to try.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Have them send you a copy of the new Código de Proceso Penal for your reading pleasure.

And civil Law in the US in NOT similar to what is practiced here, believe me.

If your family can get you an internship, that might be nice, but you won't be practicing. Oh, you'd just LOVE the Ministry of Interior and Police. So many nice people there, all of them honest:p:p:p:p:p:p:p Tongue firmly in cheek.

HB

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
SOME people just have no shame!

mountainfrog said:
(I'm not referring to your sankie relationship...)

m'frog
Why would ANYBODY, in their right mind, leave a high paying job in the greatest nation in the world to go to a 3rd world country and make in one month what she can make in 2 hours in the US?. Just sickening!.

I swear, I truly will make it a point to go to the DR and search for those "Choco friends" that she was talking about on her thread. Man, that guy must have GOLD on his "johnson", King Midas, perhaps?.

A non-perfect person told you the following, on your "Choco" thread:

"You are the perfect candidate. Next thing you will probably do...... is sell all your belongings, quit your job, leave your loved ones and go where he is at". I guess he was right after all!!!.

When I grow up, I want to be like CHOCO!!!.

Chocolate for Presidente!!.

I can already see his speech: "Another one bites the dust, and another one and another and another one.....".

First time I hear someone needing to relocate to a country in order to learn Spanish!.

Oh, btw, there are MUCHO Dominicans lawyers, in the US, working in factories and are still making more money than what they were making as lawyers in the DR, just in case you wanted to know. I wonder why?.

Good luck on your "job search". Hahahahaha, funny, "job search".

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
miguel said:
Oh, btw, there are MUCHO Dominicans lawyers, in the US, working in factories and are still making more money than what they were making as lawyers in the DR, just in case you wanted to know.

I can attest to that. I have an uncle here that works at a factory in Brooklyn. He graduated from the UASD with a law deegre in the 90s. He was making peanuts and decided to come here.

I also know a few lawyers down there. They make very little money. The ones I know that are loaded are well "connected" if you know what I mean.

Think it over and over and over americangirl.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I gotta ask. With a Dominican father, enabling her to claim Dominican citizenship, and an uncle who is a Minister in the government. What is she doing asking questions and looking for a job on DR1?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Corruption 101 and more

americangirl said:
....I would love to live in the DR and get a change of pace.... with the Department of Interior and Police (I think)....

This will undoubtedly change your view on law and the police as such.

You'll learn a lot at a high price (like at a private school... :laugh: ).
In my view you earn respect because money is not your prime concern.

Go for it!
All the best.

m'frog

americangirl

May 30, 2006
My dad is NOT going to claim I am a Dominican Citizen, I will not be working probably. Just doing an internship.

Why would I want to do it you ask???....because I am young and like to experience different things. I am not married and have no ties to the US, I have enough money to take two months off, so why not? Pus, I will still have my job in the US when I come back....

And trust me, the US is NOT all that great!!!

Anyway, I hope I can get an internship. I do not want to live in the DR forever, just learn more about the culture, practice the language, etc.

And, no I want nothing to do with the Chocolate friends....;) I have had about enough of those sanks....

americangirl

May 30, 2006
miguel said:
Why would ANYBODY, in their right mind, leave a high paying job in the greatest nation in the world to go to a 3rd world country and make in one month what she can make in 2 hours in the US?. Just sickening!.

I swear, I truly will make it a point to go to the DR and search for those "Choco friends" that she was talking about on her thread. Man, that guy must have GOLD on his "johnson", King Midas, perhaps?.

A non-perfect person told you the following, on your "Choco" thread:

"You are the perfect candidate. Next thing you will probably do...... is sell all your belongings, quit your job, leave your loved ones and go where he is at". I guess he was right after all!!!.

When I grow up, I want to be like CHOCO!!!.

Chocolate for Presidente!!.

I can already see his speech: "Another one bites the dust, and another one and another and another one.....".

First time I hear someone needing to relocate to a country in order to learn Spanish!.

Oh, btw, there are MUCHO Dominicans lawyers, in the US, working in factories and are still making more money than what they were making as lawyers in the DR, just in case you wanted to know. I wonder why?.

Good luck on your "job search". Hahahahaha, funny, "job search".

You crack me up....plus I am not going to the DR for money (I already have it), for chocolate friends (had enough of those guys) nor am I going to sell all of my belongings.... It is called an internship, people do it all the time. Like I said I did it in Brazil and Europe. I did not go to Europe for any Chocolate friends....I went for the reason I mentioned, because I am a bored American girl who likes to experience different things. It will be nice to learn more about my father culture too.

I do not understand why all you Dominicans have nothing but bad to say about your country. I mean Dominicans are so PROUD to be Dominican, but when it comes to a non-Dominican wanting to come to the DR to learn more about the laws, culture, people or language, you ask like that person must be crazy. "Why would ANY sane American want to come to the DR?"

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
americangirl said:
My dad is NOT going to claim I am a Dominican Citizen, I will not be working probably. Just doing an internship.

As a lawyer you should know, as you say you are familiar with Dominican Civil Procedure, it is not up to your father claim your Dominican citizenship. It is a right granted to you, under Domincan law.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
americangirl said:
Anyway, I hope I can get an internship. I do not want to live in the DR forever, just learn more about the culture, practice the language, etc.

You'll be surprised to learn that most Dominicans don't speak Spanish, they speak Dominican. ;)

Go check out the Spanish forum and read the stickies.

americangirl

May 30, 2006
HOWMAR said:
As a lawyer you should know, as you say you are familiar with Dominican Civil Procedure, it is not up to your father claim your Dominican citizenship. It is a right granted to you, under Domincan law.

I said, "I actually have a Civil Law degree, so the law is very similar" It did not say I know the ins and outs of all aspects of Dominican Law.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Why!

HOWMAR said:
I gotta ask. With a Dominican father, enabling her to claim Dominican citizenship, and an uncle who is a Minister in the government. What is she doing asking questions and looking for a job on DR1?
Because this has nothing to do with finding a job or internship, rather having fun with the future President of the DR, Mr "CHOCO".

I can bet my life that if she had NOT met "The CHOCO Man", she woul not be thinking about going to the DR for no darn internship.

Hipocrito, I agree, this is a pretty good joke!.

El Tigre:

When I was going to college, I worked at one of my brother's factories and there were 2 Dominicans lawyers working on the floor, making more than in the DR.

Last edited:

americangirl

May 30, 2006
HOWMAR said:

I just wanted to get some ideas before I spoke with my family....People on here can be helpful when they are not so sarcastic...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.