Where is this?

CanadianGurl

Mar 21, 2006
Hey Everyone,

Well I am starting to plan my adventure this summer, I will leave Canada June 30th, and will be working in SD for 8 weeks. I am very excited...very nervous.

I would like to know if anyone knows much about this area:

Jos? Contreras, Manzana

I have an option to live in an apartment in that area, 3rd floor. I HAVE no idea what that means.

Is it close to INTEC?

Is it close to the Olympic Center?

Is it close to a gym?

Is it safe?

If anyone knows any of these answers, or anything else I might want to know about the location, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks in advance
CG

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Jose Contreras is a main avenue that runs parallel roughly between Independencia and Bolivar, starting in the western part of the city and ending at the UASD University. It's not really anywhere near INTEC, which is in northern Santo Domingo. For the other questions you ask, it's quite a long avenue so it would depend what neighbourhood. Not so near the Olympic Centre, but there are other gyms dotted round the city.
'Manzana' sometimes means 'block' in Spanish, but I'm not sure in this context. More info, perhaps?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That sounds like public housing to me???

What is the exact address, please?

Cordially,

HB :D

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Is this one of the building units put up in the neighborhood just below the Mirador Sur park? The area between the escarpment of Mirador Sur and Ave. Independencia below has lots of these buildings. I'm thinking this address is in 'Honduras" , or to the west of this area, between Avenida Italia and Nu?ez de Caceres.

If so, Ave. Independencia has a ton of guaguas and publicos running day and night. Relatively safe area, but probably considered lower middle class (translated as most people don't own a car, but are comfortable). There may also be intermittent power problems.

gleeben

Jun 7, 2006
I know where that is, Jose contreras is a complex of buildings located from km. 10 to km. 11 on Independence Avenue which ends at Jose contreras avenue. To me it is one of the safest places to live, considering it was built for militars way back in Balaguer's times, but now of course it is full of Generals and colonels. i have a friend who lives there and claims 4 "generales full" (I think it is the highest rank you can get, before "almirante de la republica") live in the same street where he lives. but who knows about security maybe these high-ranked officials are the greatest thieves, no one really knows where all the bmw's, mercedes', hummers come from, lol.

as for "how far is it??", well you come from canada, it depends on what "far" means for you. I can get from there to Intec in 15 minutes, depending on the hour. Directions (Jose contreras --> Luperon, where luperon starts to be called av. los proceres, you are a minute away.)

about the gym, i dont think you will need it, there is the "mirador", a 8km long recreational park, where many people go for working out.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
The name of this part of the Avenue is Cayetano Germosen. This area is safe but far away from those places you mentioned, is close to Mirador Sur Park.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Gleeben is right. On my map of Santo Domingo, the 'Jose Contreras' CanadianGurl is referring to is the name of the SECTOR, rather than the name of the street. It's between 'El Pedregal' and 'Buenos Aires' sectors.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
I know the development (URB.) that I believe Canadian Girl is speaking of. It is not far from Casa de Espa?a. My friend's father had retired from the Army. He lived there until his death.

Good Luck,

JD

gleeben

Jun 7, 2006
Jersey Devil said:
I know the development (URB.) that I believe Canadian Girl is speaking of. It is not far from Casa de Espa?a. My friend's father had retired from the Army. He lived there until his death.

Good Luck,

JD
you are right, cASA ESPA?a is across the street!

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Out of curiosity, I drove to sector Jose Contreras today. It is a nice area, shady streets, lots of sleeping policemen (speedbumps) and very densely built with 4 story apartment housing, most look as if they are in an 'X' configuration with 4 wings. Most of the streets are lined with parked cars, as well as all of the parking lots. It looks very middle-class dominican.

It looks to be safe, UNLESS you own a car. I saw a few small signs taped up saying "This building is watching for thieves in the parking lots". With this many cars in one small area, it is probably too tempting for thieves who live in nearby poorer areas to resist. I saw no evidence of military guards (usually a good sign that someone of rank in the military /police lives nearby), but there is a small police station nearby.

If you don't have a car, you need only walk two blocks or less, to a steady stream of public transportation on Ave Independencia, and about 1 km down the street is Plaza Luperon with a supermarket and other stores available.

CanadianGurl

Mar 21, 2006
Thanks So Much...

I cannot thank you all enough...this forum has been peace of mind in preparing for this trip. I have spoken largely to my Canadian friends at the organization, committment, and friendly nature this forum incorporates.

I can only hope that all of the people that continually support this forum...and go out of their way to answer questions...and if need go beyond the call of duty to research the answers...get their much deserved kindness returned someday.

If any of you would ever travel to Canada...(I know...its cold...), please count me in for any assistance I might be able to provide. If this forum is any indication of the hospitality I might receive by some of the people in SD, I sure wish we could spread that geneoristy amongst everyone...worldwide.

Thank you all so much...I plan to volunteer where ever I can in SD this summer, as well as do some teaching with a few organizations that I have been in touch with. I hope to return a small piece of my appreciation back to your country within that 7 week visit.

Canadian Gurl