Must See/Do in Punta Cana??

Tnrschen

Jun 6, 2006
My husband and I will be traveling with another couple (early 30's) next week to Punta Cana for our first DR experience. Unfortunately it is a very short trip (only four days). Does anyone have any must see or do recommendations? We're staying at Natura Park. Because of our limited time I don't really want to do a packaged excursion but would love to leave the AI and get a real taste of the dr.

Thanks for your help!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Check out Manatee Park if you like animals, it's relatively close to Natura Park and very well organized. There are also many ocean excursion options worth seeing. If you're looking for a good place for gift shops, there's Bibijagua that's on the way to Bavaro which is chock full of stuff.

Make sure you go for supper at one of the restaurants in El Cortecito too like Capitan Cook or Langostas del Caribe, or Jellyfish which is also close by. They have tables right on the edge of the ocean and the seafood if very good.

Have fun!!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
If you are looking for a real taste of the DR, you wont find it in an AI, especially not in Punta Cana which is totally touristy.
There are some markets if you are into trinkets and shopping. There are no real sights per say to see in this area.
One of the restaurants recommended by the previous OP is worthwhile, my personal favourite is Capitan Cooks.
Dont know if you guys are real sun-worshippers but if you dont plan to return to the DR any time soon, I would strongly recommend the long day trip to Santo Domingo, the capital for a cultural experience. (I realize you only have 4 days).
Have a great trip.

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
drloca said:
If you are looking for a real taste of the DR, you wont find it in an AI, especially not in Punta Cana which is totally touristy.
There are some markets if you are into trinkets and shopping. There are no real sights per say to see in this area.
One of the restaurants recommended by the previous OP is worthwhile, my personal favourite is Capitan Cooks.
Dont know if you guys are real sun-worshippers but if you dont plan to return to the DR any time soon, I would strongly recommend the long day trip to Santo Domingo, the capital for a cultural experience. (I realize you only have 4 days).
Have a great trip.

Totally right, no such thing as a real taste of the DR anywhere near Punta Cana.
I know your time is very short and the day would be very long, but well worth the trip to Santo Domingo to see some of our history up close and personal.
You will still have to endure a stop along the way at some trinket shop, but just look at that as a part of the DR experience as well.

If you really want to experience a little of the DR not too far from PC, try to find a driver or guide who will take you up in to the hills north of Higuey for a swim in the river, Rio Yonu, or one of the other swimming holes. This would not be in any tour guide brochure so it may be a little too adventuresome, but it is very beautiful countryside with REAL DR villages that very few tourists have ever seen.

Regardless of where you go or what you do, have a great time.