Dominicans and Cell Phone - what a horror!!!

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
What is it with dominicans and cell phones? i know that we are living in a society dominated by mass communication and the need to be connected at all times, but i think things in DR are getting rediculous. it doesn't matter if it's the cashier at the super market, the teller at the bank, the hostess at the restaurant, the gas attendant, or any other type of service position, but they just don't care enough about you as a client to hang up the phone and acknowledge your existance. afterall, they are there to provide a service and you are there to pay for it so you would think that they would atleast pretend to care and call their boyfriend, mother, sister, baby mama, back.

If you happen to come across this type of behavior do not be offended when they treat you as though you are rudely interupting their personal conversation - the nerve of you!

I have found that this behavior is not only acceptable there, but expected as business owners and managers allow this type of nonsense to go on. In the states, cell phone chit chat on the job is grounds for termination. anyway, i love the country, love the people, but they just don't get it. customer service is not a priority there (unless you are at an AI hotel). just venting :eek:)

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
skyblue said:
In the states, cell phone chit chat on the job is grounds for termination. anyway, i love the country, love the people, but they just don't get it. customer service is not a priority there (unless you are at an AI hotel). just venting :eek:)
You hit a key phrase "In the States" you can never apply US standards to the DR all the time, pretty good rant though!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
What happens if enough people complaint about it to the managers, maybe people should start putting their foot down, I'm sure it would do some good.
Or just speaking up, telling the cashier politely, Senorita podria prestarme atencion a mi por un moment?

This I experienced in Washington Hghts with a Dominicana, I thought this was very rude so I just went elsewhere.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Ricardo900 said:
You hit a key phrase "In the States" you can never apply US standards to the DR all the time, pretty good rant though!
I agree.
No matter where we chose to live in the world, we have to adapt to the culture in the country and not the other way around.
Yes, cellphones are widely used everywhere, even in bank lines etc etc.
That is how it is here.
Other things we find wonderful here, as well as we get annoyed on yet other things in other countries.
This is DR with DR standards. Does not mean I, as living here, accept all and everything, but I have to accept that it exists, no matter what it is.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
A few reasons:

1. A person with a cellphone in the DR pays NOTHING to receive calls.

2. It's much more difficult to get a phone put in at home, than it is to get a cheap/stolen/'found' cellphone that works.

3. The domnicana in front of you just received a call, and she doesn't have any minutes in her phonecard to call the person back.

4. The dominicana gets paid sh*t to do her job, and so she could give a rat's a** what you think about her talking on her cellphone anyway.

5. The manager is in the same boat, but gets paid an extra $5000 a month. He/she don't think the behavior is out of line. Just chill out dominican-style, and they'll get your transaction done soon. What else do you have to do? Let their conversation either teach you dominican spanish, or entertain you.

Is you still don't like it or understand it, next time go somewhere else. None of the employees here will get bent out of shape over it.

When I am in Miami, at least those fat cubana suburbanites driving an SUV the size of a tank, talking every moment they are driving (usually about 1/2 the speed limit, and in the middle of 2 lanes) understand my California salute, and if they don't look up, I'll give the brakes on my rental car a test, to see if they will then start paying attention to what they are doing (which should be driving or parking to talk).

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Skyblue..

I think you're full of hot air for one reason or another. I live in NY and everyone walks about with a cell phone japping away. Go down to Wall street and tell me what you see. Go to the West side about 72nd St and tell me what you see. These are the 2k's. Get with it or be phased out. Beam me up,
hon'.

Zeus (primus inter pares).;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Better yet!

ZEUS said:
I think you're full of hot air for one reason or another. I live in NY and everyone walks about with a cell phone japping away. Go down to Wall street and tell me what you see. Go to the West side about 72nd St and tell me what you see. These are the 2k's. Get with it or be phased out. Beam me up,
hon'.

Zeus (primus inter pares).;)
I have a better one:

I hope that the poster finds himself/herself on Times Square and 42nd St at around 5:10pm on a weekday so he/she can REALLY see people using cell phones while taking their sweet time walking at a slow pace.

Btw, there are SOME people in the US using their cells while working. I encountered one at a electronic store and I MADE her get off the darn phone!.

Last edited: