Incorrect Info on DR1 News!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Below I quoted the news article from DR1 written about the Cathedral in Santo Domingo finally updating itself with modern A/C. Focus on the words/numbers I have bolded from the article and then read what I wrote underneath the quote:

DR1 News said:
A/C for Santo Domingo Cathedral
Work is under way for the installation of air conditioning at the Santo Domingo Cathedral, as reported in El Caribe. Glass doors are being put in to keep the cool air inside. The first cathedral in the New World, the Catedral Santa Maria de la Encarnacion La Menor was completed in 1941 and received its charter as the Metropolitan Cathedral and First in the Indies from Pope Paul III following a request from King Charles V in 1946. Up until now, large fans have been used to cool the interior, but during the summer the heat can be intense.

If the cathedral was completed in 1941 then how can it be the oldest in the hemisphere?:surprised

Talk about an inefficient postal service! Charles V (who was alive in the 1500s) sends its royal charter to designate the cathedral as the first in the indies and it arrives in 1946???? Yikes!:D

The correct years are 1541 and 1546 respectively.

-NALs;)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The Cathedral has yet to be completed. The jumble of architectural styles (late-gothic, romanesque, baroque...) reflect the rebuilding efforts during different reconstructions attempts, including damage and partial destruction caused by earthquakes, hurricanes, and torching by the infamous English pirate (peg leg, eye patch, and parrot on shoulder), El Draque (Francis Drake), who stormed and pillaged Santo Domingo in 1586.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Obviously these dates were typos, and easily corrected by publishing an erratum. Now can we start talking about the poll about bus companies in the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.