Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Transfering Pesos to US accounts

Now that I have a fair understanding of how to get USD into the DR (http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46074), I was wondering if I can get some advice on getting Pesos out of the DR into USD for payments.
    1. Open a BP USD account and send a check?
    2. Use wire transfers to my US bank (Giros)?
    3. Buy a USD bank cheque?

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody in their right mind will take pesos out of the DR to pay anything!!

If you are in the DR, you buy a dollar check from a Bank such as Santa Cruz or arrange a wire transfer or go to Western union and pay their ridiculous fees, but it works and your money is safe.

If you are in the States, then you had better have someone very trustworthy do this for you, or have the money direct deposited into an account you control and then ask the bank to issue you a US dollar check.

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hillbilly, which is the cheapest way to convert Pesos into USD? Western Union is definitely too expensive. What does a wire transfer cost? Are the exchange rates good?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are converting a fairly large amount of Pesos and/or doing so regularly, talk to a senior person at ScotiaBank or Banco Santa Cruz. They will "negotiate" the rate. I am guessing you may save Wire Fees if you use BPD here and wire to BP USA in NY/MIA.