What should I expect when visiting the DR?

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Yari said:
But of course! Ohh those lustful looks:classic:

Do they try to grab your butt or some other body part at any occasion (like men do in Turkey or any other arabic country) or just stare at those? I would hate going on vacation and having to constantly protect myself from somebody's hands ...

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Avrora said:
Do they try to grab your butt or some other body part at any occasion (like men do in Turkey or any other arabic country) or just stare at those? I would hate going on vacation and having to constantly protect myself from somebody's hands ...

I find that men anywhere in the world will treat you the way you ALLOW them to treat you. But that's just me. :ermm:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Musicqueen said:
Avrora...I would love to hear your story about Dominican men...do you or have you ever had a Dominican boyfriend? (Not a sankie)...
MQ

I actually met my Dominican exboyfriend in the US. We noticed and liked each other first and then found out where we both came from. I liked his intelligence and independence, and of course he was the best lover i ever had, but anyone we are in love with is the best lover for us:) I heard a lot of beautiful words from him and words I would rather not hear at all. I want to go to DR some time to study Spanish and get to know real Carribean culture and people.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
AnnaC said:
I find that men anywhere in the world will treat you the way you ALLOW them to treat you. But that's just me. :ermm:

I know, but it is more so in some places then others ... In the US men don't feel comfortable touching women at all. In a lot of other countries they will use any chance to do so and espessially if a woman is there without a man - they will think she is out there to meet them all. Women who travel by themselves don't have a good reputation in touristy places such as DR. I understand why it is so difficult to meet a decent Dominican man while on vacation because all the "sankies" will surround resorts and beaches just like anywhere else.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Avrora said:
I know, but it is more so in some places then others ... In the US men don't feel comfortable touching women at all. In a lot of other countries they will use any chance to do so and espessially if a woman is there without a man - they will think she is out there to meet them all. Women who travel by themselves don't have a good reputation in touristy places such as DR. I understand why it is so difficult to meet a decent Dominican man while on vacation because all the "sankies" will surround resorts and beaches just like anywhere else.

I find that hard to believe.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Potato_Salad said:
I find that hard to believe.

You are right, i guess everyone is different. In general acceptable distance between people in the US is longer then in some other parts of the world where it is acceptable to come closer when you talk to a person you don't know.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
still a sexually uptight society

Avrora said:
I know, but it is more so in some places then others ... In the US men don't feel comfortable touching women at all. In a lot of other countries they will use any chance to do so and espessially if a woman is there without a man - they will think she is out there to meet them all.

I seem to share the same opinion with you on that one. Even in some countries, you see the men making catcalls at passing women and will often approach to strike a conversation. I don't see that happening over here in the US. Maybe it could happen in some really bad neighborhood. Even most men are not just keen on giving compliments to fellow female workers because of the sexual interpretation that may be attached to it.

IMHO the US society in general is still very uptight and conservative about sex and sex related issues. In most european counntries, their television programs,adverts, magazines are much more sexually explicit that what will be tolerated over here.

1) Gays/Lesbians culture are generally tolerated in europe than in the US. In my opinion I believe that there are far more closet gays in the US than in europe and it is not uncommon in europe to see public office holders who openly show their gay orientation and the society accepts them.

2) If a President of an european country had a "Monica Lewinsky" issue, like Bill Clinton had, he would probably get off with just a slight tap on the wrist.

3) You will not see female cops in europe acting as undercover hookers to catch some john. They just don't the time for that

4) If Janet Jackson had the same incident in europe, they probably would have just laughed it off. Here in the US even the government got involved.

The acceptable standard in the US society on sex and sex related issues is still highly conservative

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Sholly24 said:
The acceptable standard in the US society on sex and sex related issues is still highly conservative

I know, it is very different here. I am from Europe but I still hate being grabbed by people I don't know. So, if a young blonde white female went to DR - how does she protect herself from men and their disrespect? What do Dominican men react to? Do you have to be mean to them, yell at them or not notice them at all? Not wear anything revealing and cover yourself up at all times?

Sholly24

Mar 5, 2006
Avrora said:
I know, it is very different here. I am from Europe but I still hate being grabbed by people I don't know. So, if a young blonde white female went to DR - how does she protect herself from men and their disrespect? What do Dominican men react to? Do you have to be mean to them, yell at them or not notice them at all? Not wear anything revealing and cover yourself up at all times?

From my experience in the DR, I would think the chances of you being grabbed by dominican men will be very slim. IMHO the average dominican man is not a woman grabber eventhough it is more of a macho society where men seem to have more rights than women. I would think that you stand a chance of being treated with more respect. I am not aware of dominican men grabbing their own women (not that it doesn't happen but I have never seen it) so I would be surprised that they will be grabbing you. Atimes there is the 'Hola Linda' greeting thrown to women as a friendly gesture to get some attention but I don't even think that they would try that with Gringas.

From my experience, if you as a gringa meet a dominican man that is trying hard to get with you or is staring you down, I would advise that you avoid him like a plague because it is not the typical behaviour. I have been to clubs in Santiago, Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata, Sosua and I get the impression that dominican men go to clubs more to dance and socialize than to hook up with women (unless he is a lowlife).

They seem to know where to go if they really need a woman;)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Avrora said:
Yari said:
M.A.R. said:

No NOthing like what u mentioned. Even in the campos, little pueblos, cities, I think men are respectful, but one thing they would say is really vulgar things when walking down the street. e.g. "ay mami que c*lo" and worse..:) yes dominican men are not discreet when wanting to stare at a body part. but I think this is a small part of them.
I've been to Washington Heights and there is the worse they would stare especially at teenage girls, which I think is disgusting, they are not discreet, they don't realize they look like perverts, its is not cool at all.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Grabbing whom?

Sholly24 said:
I am not aware of dominican men grabbing their own women (not that it doesn't happen but I have never seen it) so I would be surprised that they will be grabbing you....

Hmm, that could either mean, that 'Avrora' ('s behind) is less attractive than culos de dominicanas
or that
'women' here refers to 'wives'?
In that latter case I have no more questions....

m'frog

Sholly24

Mar 5, 2006
mountainfrog said:
Hmm, that could either mean, that 'Avrora' ('s behind) is less attractive than culos de dominicanas
or that

m'frog

My usage of the term 'women' refers to females that are complete strangers and not wives/girlfriends. Most of my time in the DR is spent in Santiago, Navarette, San Francisco and these are places that are entirely dominican. I hang out with them every day and I think I have an adequate experience of the culture. Most of the clubs that I go to in Santiago are usually filled 99% with dominicans ( I am usually the 1% gringo).

I don't see men grabbing women even in the clubs although men and women seem to dance much more closer than I am used to in the states but that is mutually agreed upon while dancing.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
mountainfrog said:
or that

m'frog

That is what most Dominican men attracted to - what a woman looks like from behind? This is funny.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Sholly24 said:
My usage of the term 'women' refers to females that are complete strangers and not wives/girlfriends. Most of my time in the DR is spent in Santiago, Navarette, San Francisco and these are places that are entirely dominican. I hang out with them every day and I think I have an adequate experience of the culture. Most of the clubs that I go to in Santiago are usually filled 99% with dominicans ( I am usually the 1% gringo).

I don't see men grabbing women even in the clubs although men and women seem to dance much more closer than I am used to in the states but that is mutually agreed upon while dancing.

Dancing is OK, as long as they don't try to follow you afterwards and you can go home piecefully...

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
Avrora said:

it depends how good looking you are...if you're a fugly chick, just relax! No man will want you

Last edited by a moderator: