coming to canada

logan

Jun 10, 2006
So I am official worried now. I have been reading the threads on DR1 to find information on how hard or easy it is to sponsor a friend for a visit to canada for three months. When I spoke with the Canadian embassy they said it was quite easy. My friend needed to bring my letter of invitation, employer reference, passport and bank reference to Santo Domingo. I asked about the amount of funds that would be required in the bank account and the lady on the phone said "it did not matter because you would be held responsible finacially till my friend returned to the DR." So we have all the papers and I am flying to santo Domingo to apply in person with him in August. Another friend said I should check out this website for more info and read the updates. Now that I have I am really worried.

IS IT REALLY AS DIFFICULT AS I HAVE READ. IS THERE ANY ADVICE THAT ANYONE CAN GIVE ME TO INCREASE MY CHANCES......

Thank you in advance to anyone that responses.

canajungirl

May 18, 2004
It is NOT that easy as they say.......let's just say "NO" he will not be able to visit you in Canada.The embassy always says it's easy but it's a real money scam on their part.Good luck though and keep us posted !!!!

banksk

May 26, 2006
i'm sorry that wasn't actually me it was the guy next to me called david. i accidentally told him my password

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
banksk said:
i'm sorry that wasn't actually me it was the guy next to me called david. i accidentally told him my password

I suggest you tell your friend to stop it unless you want your access taken away. This is the legal section not the clown bin.;)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
canajungirl said:
It is NOT that easy as they say.......let's just say "NO" he will not be able to visit you in Canada.The embassy always says it's easy but it's a real money scam on their part.Good luck though and keep us posted !!!!
There have benn 100's of posts concerning this. I don't know if it's a scam or not, however unless you marry the person and are ready to wait 1 to 2 years........Snowball's chance in hell.
Good Luck anyway.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
banksk said:
Change your password. He is posting nonsensical postings in other threads.

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
It doesn't happen often, but it is not impossible...

logan said:
IS IT REALLY AS DIFFICULT AS I HAVE READ. IS THERE ANY ADVICE THAT ANYONE CAN GIVE ME TO INCREASE MY CHANCES......

There are not many visitor visas issued to Dominicans to visit Canada, but it does happen. I did it, but that was a few years ago now. It all depends on your friend's situation in the DR. PM me if you would like to discuss.

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
Before we were married in October 2005, my husband and i tried three times (2003, 2004, and 2005) to bring him here for a couple of weeks vacation. Like yourself, i doubted what the threads said. The third time i went with my husband to Santo Domingo and filled out the papers myself, and 12 days later we got the same answer, NO. They simply said that we did not satisfy them and we did not have enough money. Another couple went the same time as us and they had been married for 2 years, owned a house and car in Dominican, and they were also refused.

Only one guy did get the visa, BUT....... his girlfriend had some conection through the embassy in Toronto and paid $10 000.

Honestly, it is not worth the stress, money and the heartache.

Kim