Puerto Plata, Santiago, Santo Domingo, WHERE TO STAY???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauceboy4u69

Jun 11, 2006
I am planning a trip to the Dominican Republic for Labor Day weekend. I am a single male and will be traveling alone. Some people say that, Santo Domingo is nice. Others, have told me to go to Santiago. The next thing I hear is Puerto Plata is the place to stay. I NEED HELP. Can anyone give me any constructive advice??

sauceboy4u69

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Santo Domingo is a very big and lively city, Santiago is a big provincial city, Puerto Plata is a small city close to many beach resorts. Give more details of what you're looking for and people here with give you advice.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As ggrande mentioned, having a bit more info will allow us to give better advice.
In the absence of that right now, the only clue I have is that you are single, and therefore may enjoy meeting someone of the oppsite sex.
Unless you are fluent in Spanish, I would suggest you forget any big Dominican cities and go to the Sosua/Cabarete area.
Even Puerto Plata would be difficult for a non Spanish speaking person.
Puerto Plata is widely known through the world, because of the airport, which is actually in Sosua, and in the Puerto plata province.
There are tourist areas on either side of Puerto Plata (Playa Dorada & Cofreisi) with all inclusive hotels, that I doubt would interest you, as they are like prisons.
Let us know if there are any special activities that interest you, and we could pinpoint our suggestions.

sauceboy4u69

Jun 11, 2006
Thanks, ggrande and Rocky. I am looking for an area of DR that has a great night life (party scene). I am also looking for where ever I stay, to have an all inclusives. I want to know what part of DR has the prettiest women and I don't speak any spanish.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Sosua, Cabarete

sauceboy4u69 said:
Thanks, ggrande and Rocky. I am looking for an area of DR that has a great night life (party scene). I am also looking for where ever I stay, to have an all inclusives. I want to know what part of DR has the prettiest women and I don't speak any spanish.

These small beachside towns offer everything that you are looking for. Being that you do not speak Spanish these towns have a large number of English speaking ex-pats that live here and can befriend you and show you a great time.

While in Sosua. Rockys, bartender is Ted and the owner is Marco. Plenty of good people to help you out there and great food. The New York Shark Bar, Big Lou is the owner and he has some friendly chicas bartending there as well as good food and drinks with sattelite music and TV. The Britannia Bar, a great bar with great owner and friendly bartenders. Good food served there as well! The Benlux Bar, is a nice place owned by Chris. Eddy's Sports Bar, Eddy is the owner. A nice place to watch all of your favorite sporting events worldwide. The Voodoo Lounge, another fine place for good people that is owned by great people. Stop by the Four Roses bar and say hello to the owner Matais and his chica bartenders. The Clubs are many so take your pick and follow the crowds. The beach has good places to go to during the day. Got to stop by Mofongo King at the center of the beach entrance. Big Bobby is the owner and you can't miss the "Big Kahoona" himself as he is usually bellowing to all around him with his great sense of humor. The Scadinavian Bar, fantastic food, ice cold beer and a great host named Tom. The beaches are gorgeous, there are plenty of tourist friendly restaurants and hotels and clubs to meet your chica.
Cabarete has similar places but is more set for the kiteboarder type of tourist. The town has a very European, laid back lifestyle but also offers some decent bars. Be prepared to pay higher prices here then in Sosua.
But to find really gorgeous Dominicanas you MUST get away from the resort areas. The ones you will meet in the resort towns are more then likely putas and will be soley interested in your money.

Have fun!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
sauceboy4u69 said:
There certainly are lots of all inclusive hotels in this area.
Am I to understand that you want to stay in one?
If so, bear in mind, that the AI packages offered, are based on double occupancy, and they will NOT allow you to bring a guest home with you.
If that is your intent to stay in an AI resort, Casa Marina Reef & Beach are both right in the heart of Sosua, so it would be easy for you to get out and enjoy the nightlife, etc.
Most AI resorts are in isolated areas, and it's inconvenient, time consuming and expensive to go out, to hunt for your future ex-wife.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
sauceboy4u69 said:
I am planning a trip to the Dominican Republic for Labor Day weekend. I am a single male and will be traveling alone. Some people say that, Santo Domingo is nice. Others, have told me to go to Santiago. The next thing I hear is Puerto Plata is the place to stay. I NEED HELP. Can anyone give me any constructive advice??

sauceboy4u69

I would advise that you go to Sosua which is excellently packaged for the non-spanish speaking single male. Like someone mentioned, AI's are priced at double occupancy and they do not allow guests unless you register them as your double occupant. The AI will not be your best choice.

You can stay at either Europa or Club Residencial. I prefer club residencial because though a bit more pricy, it is much cleaner and far much better and also on the main drag. Both are guest friendly but I think that Club Residencial will appreciate your smart discretion and also that the girls are not dressed in a trashy way since most of the residents will be families with kids.

There are several bars and nightclubs all within working distance and the nighlife is good and Puerto Plata is close by for a change of scene. But like someone mentioned, all you will get in Sosua are women who are only interested in your money or your western union:glasses:

For you to meet really decent girls, yoou will have to go to the non-tourist areas and learn at least some few spanish

Rocky
Now why do you have to be so pessimistic and talk about the future ex-wife when the marriage has not yet happened. Are you a psychic or just referring to "renting a wife for a night" ;)

MidnightPrince69

Jun 11, 2006
So where would be the Best AI package? Sousa or POP?

I'm currently looking at Breezes?

Please advise. And I'm not looking to have sex with anyone. lol

When traveling to a foreign country, sometimes it's best to leave the hormones at the airport. ::wink::

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I'm not an AI aficionado, but the people in Santo Domingo I know tend to prefer those in Punta Cana.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
MidnightPrince69 said:

I'm currently looking at Breezes?

Please advise. And I'm not looking to have sex with anyone. lol

When traveling to a foreign country, sometimes it's best to leave the hormones at the airport. ::wink::
Can't say where the best AI's are, and you may have to go to Debbie's board for that info, but I might mention that Breezes is a few minutes to the East of Sosua, so you would not be quite as isolated as in other resorts.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MidnightPrince69 said:
Of the two, POP has many more AI choices than Sosua. As far as the best package (assuming you mean air and accommodations), check with the airlines to see if they have any specials.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If you're looking for a great package deal, amazing beaches and lots of activities, go to Punta Cana... but don't expect to get too much exposure to dominican culture... at any of the AI's. If you want to stay on the north coast, Playa Dorado generally has the best deals, the hotels and food are ok, but the best part is the huge complex... there are a dozen or so hotels all sharing the same gated facility, so you're not stuck in a small environment. That being said, Ive heard SunVillage EMI, just west of Puerto Plata is REALLY nice... theyve filmed a couple of movies there and are hosting the Maxim Hottest women in the world party/photo shoot (or something like that) there. BUT... it's very isolated.

Check Skyauction.com. They often have amazing deals (auctions) for DR AI's - including all the ones mentioned in this thread... but make sure you're not overpaying after their taxes/fees...keep in mind though, all prices you see advertised elsewhere do NOT include taxes and fees, which can almost double the price when all's said and done.

MidnightPrince69

Jun 11, 2006
I have heard about Punta Cana, but I have to fly into Santiago, so that option is out. I do realize that as a single man, traveling, all of this vacationing really starts to add up. I have to tell you, after reading all the reviews for hotels, my head is spinning. LITERALLY. Half are positive, half are negative, for each one....but I guess..to each their own. I've gotten some terrific advive here. Does anyone know what the cost of a taxi from Puerto Plata to the airport in Sataigo is? I have a 2:30 PM flight, leaving on the 18th. And I think I'd go crazy if something went wrong with the bus. lol

I'm also going to check out some hotel rec's in Sousa. I like the all-inclusives because (even though I'm not that high maintenance), when I went to South Africa, I lost a lot of weight, because I didn't have access to food as much as I would have liked to, and with all the walking I did...I lost 5 pounds in ten days. Woot!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
MidnightPrince69 said:
Does anyone know what the cost of a taxi from Puerto Plata to the airport in Sataigo is?
80 bucks is the standard price.
There is a taxi driver we use who charges $70.

MidnightPrince69 said:
I'm also going to check out some hotel rec's in Sousa. I like the all-inclusives because (even though I'm not that high maintenance), when I went to South Africa, I lost a lot of weight, because I didn't have access to food as much as I would have liked to, and with all the walking I did...I lost 5 pounds in ten days. Woot!
I know what you mean.
You could run into similar problems here, if you were to stay in a Dominican village and were concerned about sanitary cooking conditions, or just plain didn't like Dominican food.
You would have no problems in big cities or tourist areas.
Nevertheless, if AI hotels are what you like, go for it.
Look for the best deal in the Sosua/Cabarete/Puerto Plata areas.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MidnightPrince69 said:
Does anyone know what the cost of a taxi from Puerto Plata to the airport in Sataigo is? I have a 2:30 PM flight, leaving on the 18th. And I think I'd go crazy if something went wrong with the bus. lol
I believe it's about $80US.

If you are looking for a comfortable taxi with a reliable driver, send an email to Roc?o Valerio at palomalinda0890@hotmail.com

I've used them on numerous occasions and have no complaints, they are very punctual. Plus, JJ speaks English and is an excellent tour guide, if you want him to take you around POP, STI or anywhere in between.

MidnightPrince69

Jun 11, 2006
Thanks. I believe that I'll be contacting that driver on the way back. I have a pretty good intution. If I have to leave from The Noth Coast and be at the airport by 2:30 PM, I don't want to take any chances. :)

Does anyone know if you have to be at the airport two hours in advance? I may have to extend my trip. 6 days seems hardly worth the trip, if I will basically two days coming and going.

MidnightPrince69

Jun 11, 2006
P.S. I've already booked my flight through jet blue. And the hotel situations still look grim. Granted, I'm not going to hang out in my room, so maybe a big pool and a great beach at Breezes is exactly what I'm looking for. I checked out some deals for 1 adult at Breezes, and that brings down the price from a room with two adults. But I've heard that the better rooms are in buildings 10 or 11?

Can someone confirm?

Thanks!

Still trying to work this out before I book a hotel. I may try a travel agency in NYC to book the AI. I don't want to be surprised with taxes and the like at the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.