Sad day in Santiago

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The 18 y.o. daughter of Dr. Juan Rodriguez, a pediatric cardiologist and my fiance's cousin, was killed by a gunshot wound near her home by a robbery gone bad. A colmado delivery boy was also wounded.

Dr. Rodriguez is well known for the greeat amount of charitable care he has given to the needy over the years.

It is sad when such violence is becoming more common in such an otherwise beautiful part of the planet.

All grace and condolences for those who grieve.

Jan 5, 2006
I've seen this story all over the newspapers since yesterday, and it is really sad that a young woman with such a bright future and promise had her life taken away.

There were protests yesterday in Santiago and calls for the authorities to put a stop to the violent crimes that have become such commonplace in Santiago and throughout the rest of the country. Hopefully the killer(s) will be found and brought to justice, although there can never be true justice for such a senseless act.

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
what time of day did this happen? I am getting worried about all this crime and my upcoming visit.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Oh my lord!!!

It's amazing how news gets around. I was just on the phone with a friend of mine. She has a friend that is friends with the Doctor and the family. She was telling me about this tragic event. Got killed because she would not give up her cell phone (this is what my friend told me, not sure if it happened this way).

My thougts are with the family. THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!!

Jan 5, 2006
This happened at around 8:30 PM on Friday in Cerro Hermoso, Santiago. There were rumors that it started as an attempted theft of a cell phone, but the police seem more inclined to believe that it was an attempted kidnaping gone bad.

Here's a link to a story in today's edition of Hoy, which includes a picture of the victim.

http://www.hoy.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=78449

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The kidnapping scenario is absurd, the drugged-dazed armed robbers were on motorbikes. The victim probably fought back her cell phone, and was shot in the struggle.
Yesterday, my son Alan witnessed an incredible robbery. A woman standing close to the curb in front of Plaza Central (Ave. 27 de Febrero), was left without her purse when a car drove by and a robber inside yanked it off her arm.

Santiagohombre1

Jun 1, 2006
I have not seen anything in my barrio in primero retiro in a long long time, nothing happenheres it is tranquillo. santiago has good and bad areas, you just have to be carefulw here you are. My heart goes out to that girl's family.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Not to go off on a different tandem but.....

If guns were not so easily available to thugs, Crimes such as this would not be so commonplace. When you mix a criminal mind and a firearm together, the outcome is all too obvious. It's terribly depressing to see a young woman's life snuffed out by ignorant bastards who's idea of "making it" is to rob without regard for life or limb.
The influx of all these deportees who learned their "trade" in the seedy slums of many an American city, is probably the biggest reason our island has been afflicted with all this, previously unheard-of, tragedies.
Take away their guns and what you have left are sniveling impotent cowards.
my condolences to the grieving parents.

Santiagohombre1

Jun 1, 2006
But in DR the robbers eye you down first, it is real important to stay alert to that also.. But this one is heart warming, this was such a mean spirited, harsh robbery to such a good person. I hope they are caught soon and rot in jail.

Santiagohombre1

Jun 1, 2006
Miguel Batista, al igual que otros latinos, se mostró sorprendido con la afirmación de Jason Grimsley sobre los hispanos

Herramientas
+ Imprimir
+ Enviar a un amigo
+ Agregar a favoritos
+ Recomendar este artículo

Por Enrique Rojas / elMasacre.com 09:28 am
12/06/06

MIAMI--El escándalo de los esteroides en las Grandes Ligas podría tomar un derrotero racial después que el lanzador Jason Grimsley, quien confesó ser un usuario de sustancias prohibidas, dijera a investigadores federales que "es de conocimiento que los peloteros latinos son una mayor fuente para las anfetaminas".

"Estoy sorprendido por todo esto, no entiendo muy bien aún lo que está pasando y mucho menos que los jugadores latinos sean responsables de haber introducido anfetaminas en el béisbol", dijo el derecho Miguel Batista a ESPNdeportes.com desde Phoenix.

Batista comentó que luego del partido del martes ante Filadelfia algunos oficiales de los Diamondbacks de Arizona explicaron brevemente a los jugadores que un miembro del equipo estaba bajo investigación federal, pero que no fueron muy claros. Lo que sucedió ese día fue que 13 agentes inspeccionaron la casa de Grimsley en Scottsdale, Arizona, durante seis horas, según reportó el agente del Internal Revenue Service, Mark Lessler.

Según documentos legales, Grimsley admitió haber utilizado drogas para incrementar las hormonas, anfetaminas y esteroides. Gimsley dijo que el uso de anfetaminas fue extendido en el béisbol profesional, y que era ubicado en el café en los camerinos de los equipos.

Los jugadores latinos fueron citados por Grimsley en los documentos de la corte como una fuente importante de anfetaminas, así como lo fueron los jugadores de equipos de California, quienes podían viajar fácilmente a México para comprar las drogas.

El lanzador pidió su baja y fue complacido el miércoles por los Diamondbacks, que sin embargo tendrán que pagarle su salario completo de 850 mil dólares por la temporada.

"Grimsley es un tremendo tipo, aunque no tenía una relación muy estrecha con él", dijo Batista.

"Aún necesitamos más tiempo para asimilar todo lo que está pasando. Quizás si nos muestran los documentos conteniendo lo que dijo Grimsley podríamos tener una mejor idea", dijo Batista.

Fuente: ESPNdeportes.com

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Es Fac?l?

"El delivery... quien estaba enamorado y que la intenci?n era raptarla para violarla y que al resistir fue herida mortalmente a tiros."

A macho gone wild?
These guys are pathetic.

m'frog

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot of mistakes in this thread.

The name of the father is Ramírez and the mother is Faña. He is a professor at PUCMM as well as one of the leaders of "Corazones Unidos" and the presidendt of the board of Clínica Corominas. the mother was a member of the second promotion of our med school.

Vanessa (this is so typically Dominican that you can smile) was the very best friend of the sister of my daughter in law.

The scum that killed her are all home grown kids, in their early 20s, and the Police have mug shots of them all...Now does that say something>?

See today's Listin Diario....http://www.listindiario.com/

HB :(:(:(

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
According to police, here's the confessed killer of Vanessa. 19 year-old Angelo Iv?n Ventura Herrera, (a) Clorets, who stated that he shot his victim on the back while laying on the ground, after wrestling away her cell phone, which he later sold (exchanged) for 500 pesos.

14acytu.jpg