motivation to work once dominicans come to canada/usa

susy

Sep 30, 2004
i'm not sure if this is the section i should be posting this question on but i know it's the section that gets most read.

Anyways, here's my question. I know that there's plenty of self-sufficient hard working men living in dominican republic. I also know there's alot of non-working lazy men/women who find it easier to just find someone to help support thier livestyles by having people from usa/canada send them money.

My question now is. For those work like to work and those who don't like to work. What happens once they reach the foreign lands. I know Canada is the land of opportunity and that everyone here works. However, for anyone who now is married to or somehow got thier partner up here to Canada/Usa. Did those dominicans still continue to work right away. Did your lazy partner in DR still continue to be lazy here in north american do. IF so, how do you cope? Do you support them for the rest of thier lives or did you finally kick thier asses to the cub even if you are technically responsible for them for the next 3 years.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My Dominicana worked Hard long hours in the DR in her chosen profession, teaching, and in Canada she works long hard hours doing a job she doesn't like at all(12 hr shifts in an auto parts factory). She doesn't need to work, because I make enough, but she likes having the extra money. Laziness is not a national or cultural trait.

G

gary short

Poor Susy.... you've gotten yourself into a pickle haven't you??????

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Bob,why is she not pursuing her teaching career here in Canada. Does she have to take an equivilency test in order to teach Canadian standards? Just curious. I'm sure she'd be much happier doing something she enjoys.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bob saunders said:
Laziness is not a national or cultural trait.
I agree.

If someone is lazy in the DR, they will continue to be lazy in the new location.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I have a friend who married a Dominican. He is working, and it did take time to find a job, however he has one (someone finally gave him a chance) and he is the best employee they have. His boss asks him all the time if he knows of any other Dominican men wanting work, b/c he's soo impressed with his work ethic.

So for my friend, her husband is still a hard worker in Cda, as he was in the DR.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Round Trip

I know of a German woman who met the love of her life in a Saman? hotel. He was a dancer and she was very impressed how well he could imitate Michael Jackson.

After returning back from her holiday she arranged everything for their marriage as this was the only way to get a visa for him.

She came back to the DR, married him and flew home.

A few months afterwards 'MJ' arrived in Germany.

It took another six weeks or so when she realized she could not get him off the couch or give back the TV remote control.

She threw him out and he even had to sleep in the subway...

He's now back on stage in Saman?.

m'frog

G

gary short

I'm assuming the 3 year period of your financial obligation is not over... in which case it may be prudent paying his freight. Afterwards if he hasn't smartened up you have choices.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
susy said:
Anyways, here's my question. I know that there's plenty of self-sufficient hard working men living in dominican republic. I also know there's alot of non-working lazy men/women who find it easier to just find someone to help support thier livestyles by having people from usa/canada send them money.

Isn't it part of macho culture and men being superior to women that a man has to work and make as much or more money then his wife? I can't understand how can a man who does not have a job and no motivation to get one can be attractive to a woman or feel good about himself being a "macho" man... I have known and heard of Dominicans who came to other countries and made the best out of it. They could stay in DR and be lazy - it is much easier there:)

Last edited:

mirabel

May 31, 2006
My husband has been in Canada for two years now. He has been studying full-time since he arrived here. If all goes as planned, he'll graduate from college next summer. He's working hard on his courses, and is treating his studies as a full-time job (he wasn't lazy in the DR, and isn't lazy now that he is in Canada). Although he isn't earning any money as yet, we expect that in the long term, his studies will pay off.

May 31, 2005
mirabel said:
My husband has been in Canada for two years now. He has been studying full-time since he arrived here. If all goes as planned, he'll graduate from college next summer. He's working hard on his courses, and is treating his studies as a full-time job (he wasn't lazy in the DR, and isn't lazy now that he is in Canada). Although he isn't earning any money as yet, we expect that in the long term, his studies will pay off.
Good for him!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
curlyq said:
Bob,why is she not pursuing her teaching career here in Canada. Does she have to take an equivilency test in order to teach Canadian standards? Just curious. I'm sure she'd be much happier doing something she enjoys.

NO, her qualifications are good here, but she is a little unsure of her English(she shouldn't be, as I had teachers that spoke worst than her) and she doesn't want to pay all the union fees...etc. Personally she was getting tired of teaching in the DR and has other interests(real estate...etc)

vdubman

Nov 29, 2004
IMO one must be crazy to bring a woman f/ DR or any other country to the USA!!! As far as her motivation to work that is great but you will find that eventually that she will have more $$ than you in the bank and still send your $$ instead of her's to her family in DR..they do have a secret agenda!!

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
vdubman said:
IMO one must be crazy to bring a woman f/ DR or any other country to the USA!!! As far as her motivation to work that is great but you will find that eventually that she will have more $$ than you in the bank and still send your $$ instead of her's to her family in DR..they do have a secret agenda!!

Actually i have more money now, because my wife is much better at managing money than i am, and with the money she makes here, she uses it to help pay down the mortgage, buy car insurance, gas, pay other bills, airfare to the DR...ETC. When we are in the DR, she pays for the resort, car rental...etc. Not every person from the DR is as you describe. Yris lends money only to her brother, and he pays here back, because he know if he doesn't, she will not lend him anymore. She doesn't send any money back to the rst of her family, as her mother lives with us. Her mother earns her way also.