Thinking about moving ot DR.

lvsparky3

Jun 11, 2006
I currently live in Las vegas and have heard lots of good things about DR. What's it really like for americans there? Are we accepted alright? Also i Heard of Punta cana but what is the best city to live in and mabey be around other americans? Also I don't want to make the move if were getting wiped out by hurricanes every year. Are they something to really worry about Lvsparky3

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Welcome to DR1.

Have you ever visited the DR? Living in the DR is very different from living in the US. While Americans (and other foreigners) are welcomed by Dominicans, the Dominican lifestyle may not be an easy adjustment for Americans.

If you are worried about hurricanes, I suggest you look at the North Coast or the Santiago area.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Homework Not Done Yet

lvsparky3 said:
....? ....? ...? Also....

Bienvenido.
You've come to the right place to get all your questions answered.
Go to the 'Living' Subforum and/or use the 'search' button to type in your clues.
You'll have a lot to read.

m'frog

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Hurricane History Map

Dragonfly32837 said:
I thougth that the North Coast was the are most hit by hurricanes. Am I incorrect?

Find out:

142wu8j.jpg

m'frog

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dragonfly32837 said:
I thougth that the North Coast was the are most hit by hurricanes. Am I incorrect?
Fortunately, yes.
Been living in Sosua for 15 years, and have yet to see one.
Certainly saw some big storms, and a few that came through here at tropical storm level, but never a hurricane.

Sharon Ann

Mar 1, 2007
Hi there,
I am new to the site and thrilled to find out I can access so much information. I am also considering a move to the DR. I have been there several times and have looked at a couple of small properties I am considering. Does anyone know what the going rates for property are this is not by the beach and around Puerta Plata. I am wondering about prices. I here that Gringa's/Gringo's can get badly ripped off. Any suggestions??
Also I would like to teach english. I have taught in the school system Nova Scotia, Canada, but my background is in counselling and facilitating groups.
HELP!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sharon Ann: folks from Nova Scotia are most welcome! I even know a few, myself. Seem like a decent lot, all told.

Wise move, taking your time, and you are quite right about getting ripped off. Talk to some of the denizens of the North Coast (BushBaby, Ken, Rocky, Planner, Corina all come to mind--also HOWMAR, I think,...) Just send them some PMs with your questions...They are all good people with a positive outlook on life on the North Shore.

Now, If you come to your senses and decide that you should live in a proper town, and do select Santiago, then I would be most happy to assist you...

HB (With some tongue in cheek)

freekofweek

Feb 22, 2005
Rent - do not buy for at least 6-8 months !!!

I would strongly suggest that you rent for many months to determine if you can adjust to the Dominican culture/lifestyle. Please remember that electric, health care, medications and air conditioning are a luxury. Private cars, gasoline, and auto repairs are expensive. If you do not speak very good sxpanish, communication will be a major barrier. Also, petty theft is rampant, check all the apt.s/houses with bars on the windows. Also cable TV has mostly spanish stations, etc. I know many people who loved the idea and moved BUT was back within 1 year due to the 3rd world conditions.
In many areas such as Punta Cana/Bavaro the cost of living is almost the same as in the USA. (Houses/Condo's $200,000-$300,000 us dollars.)
You can rent for about $500 us dollars and if you do not like it after 6 months you have no major hassles. also, if you are not Dominican I hear that you always get screwed on most any type of real estate deal. Most Dominicans will tell you that you can NOT trust Dominican legal system, etc.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Now, If you come to your senses and decide that you should live in a proper town, and do select Santiago, then I would be most happy to assist you...

HB (With some tongue in cheek)
After THAT comment K of CV, it will be more than a 'Tongue' you have in your cheek next time we meet!! :rambo: (Oooops, forgot your prowess on the mats so please revert to normal pleasantries!:D !).

Ask away Sharon Ann - PM, e-Mail or here whichever suits you best. On those questions posed so far:
1. YES, it is easy to get ripped off when buying property so PLEASE take your time until you know the reliable & honest players in the housing market (that INCLUDES Lawyers!!).
2. Where you live will to a great extent depend on where you can get a job. Don't rush it & know what you are looking for when you go house/apartment buying. Renting here for 5/9/12 months prepares you pretty well as to what you should be looking for!
3. Be prepared for at least 3 months without a job. IF it happens quicker then you are in credit, but if you expect immediate & it takes 3 months ......... you are likely to run out of money & become dissatisfied with the country too quickly! Here EVERYTHING takes time & negotiation (& time & negotiation & ...............)

Welcome to DR1 & don't forget to have a few visits before you take the plunge!! ~ Grahame.